Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2011, 23:29   #1
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: 50ft yacht
CM93 Charts

I know I know , how can anyone be this dumb. Nice new note book, downloaded open cpn, got gps input, but where oh where are the charts that everyone talks about but never quite gives the info to get them.
Take pity on a poor Luddite.
Old 27-06-2011, 00:13   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: cm93 charts

It would be wrong to recommend use of a good torrent download such as vuze. Furthermore, it would demonstrate the need for both a good firewall and anti/virus.
Old 27-06-2011, 00:14   #3

Boat: Tartan 30

Have you ever seen the move "National Treasure"?

yeah, well... it's like that.
Old 27-06-2011, 03:05   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The CM93 charts are pirated copies, so every popular download has been give a cease and desist order. You could try a google search for "CM93 chart download", but as noted before, you better have a strong firewall and anti-virus program.

A better option might be to ask around the free anchorages, or in the local cruiser's bar at happy hour.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 03:11   #5
cruiser

Boat: cornish crabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The CM93 charts are pirated copies, so every popular download has been give a cease and desist order.

last one that i found is CM93 january 2011, and i cross checked it with other ENC'S.it is spot on, not in the minutes, it is in seconds correct. i even found some mistakes on some other (genuine) ENC's and CM93 that I have was correct. i am using it mostly on the adriatic sea but also all over mediteranean and it working flawlesly with open cpn. no wonder bil gates and others are making a billions.

sorry for bad english
gravosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 04:38   #6

Boat: Piver Victress

It is scandalous that the UK government continue to demand payment from non-commercial users for UKHO charts .... especially as they are compiled & administered by TAXPAYERS' FUNDING ....

The UK government recently made the entire Ordnance Survey folio of UK terrestrial maps free to access online & to download ... they did this largely through pressure from the Ramblers Association & other active groups ...... quite right too since they are also compiled & administered by public funding ....

I would suggest that all RYA members should write or email the RYA persistently & demand that they lobby strongly to make the UKHO change it's policy of charging non-commercial users for nautical charts ... users who are not RYA members should write or email the UKHO directly & badgering their Members of Parliament could also prove useful ...

Anyone requiring paper charts should, of course contribute to the printing costs but electronic charts should be free to download ... we, the taxpayers, should be demanding it ...

Respect & applause goes to USA , NZ , Chile & other countries who make the nautical charts of their national waters FREE to non-commercial users ...
svtadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 04:50   #7

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtadpole View Post
Respect & applause goes to USA , NZ , Chile & other countries who make the nautical charts of their national waters FREE to non-commercial users ...
Not only are Chilean charts not free, they are priced through the roof!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 09:09   #8

Boat: Piver Victress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Not only are Chilean charts not free, they are priced through the roof!

You are correct ..... I don't know what made me type Chile .... I had intended Brasil ..... their nautical charts available here .... https://www.mar.mil.br/dhn/dhn/index.html
svtadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:31   #9

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

I am sure that there is a reason, but what I don't understand is why the cruising community doesn't begin to compile a database from which to make their own open source charts. How many boats are cruising with: GPS, time/date data, depth sounders, radar, course and wind information - tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands? It would seem that with the prevalence of cheap memory, one could work out some standard data collection formats and build a database that, in time, would rival that of even the largest company or even government. Cruisers cover more of the world than commercial enterprises and the lack of rigorous precision could likely be overcome by many more redundant data points and some clever mathematics. The expertise and collective knowledge of the OpenCPN project would seem to make this a viable addition.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:32   #10

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
I am sure that there is a reason, but what I don't understand is why the cruising community doesn't begin to compile a database from which to make their own open source charts. How many boats are cruising with: GPS, time/date data, depth sounders, radar, course and wind information - tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands? It would seem that with the prevalence of cheap memory, one could work out some standard data collection formats and build a database that, in time, would rival that of even the largest company or even government. Cruisers cover more of the world than commercial enterprises and the lack of rigorous precision could likely be overcome by many more redundant data points and some clever mathematics. The expertise and collective knowledge of the OpenCPN project would seem to make this a viable addition.
Alot of the data that cruisers are really interested in would be relatively easy to collect and maintain as long as the bar is not set too high. I would think that verified positions and depths of reef entrances and others tight quarters would be at the top of the list. Taking it a step further might include mapping anchorages, bommies that lay along certain routes or simply the route itself. But in taking this extra step you have now created a huge data set that would be a challenge to maintain. It is doable though and I for one would gladly volunteer my data or do some of the number crunching/mapping.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 06:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
I am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Alot of the data
I have put the question to the local official charts maker. It is to be noted that they do accept third party information with reservation. Tracks produced with C series Classic do contain the data mentioned above. Raymarine will not provide the software to extract the data contained in tracks. However they do provide the possibility to make a route limited to 50 waypoints out of a Track. The other alternative is to push “ way point at vessel” to get the same data that in Track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
When checking on Valentia East passage mentioned in a Cruising Guide I did it at low tide. I found more water on the West of the indicated leads.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 20:21   #12

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop
Re: CM93 Charts

Reply to Bruce : OLEX are creating a user created database - check them out on facebook or google them
Old 11-02-2013, 04:58   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by malukusailor View Post
I know I know , how can anyone be this dumb. Nice new note book, downloaded open cpn, got gps input, but where oh where are the charts that everyone talks about but never quite gives the info to get them.
Take pity on a poor Luddite.

I do not know did you "find" it in mean time.

just in case here is link

CM93 January 2011

DepositFiles
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 02:59   #14

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
I read somewhere that cm93 (2009) are free access now. I'd have to search to find where I read that... But is that right?

I found mine with a parrot on my shoulder - they're far from wonderful in detail and I use them as a background layer for my quilt... Don't think I'd ever pay for them.

I used to use them back in the day with CMap running on a Dos laptop and a gps in my serial port back when I was doing relief skipper and transit work in the late 90s ... looked pretty impressive to the clients.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 03:23   #15

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

I also been looking - I dont trust some of the .ru sites (heard lotsa reports about them) and so far have not found a trusted site.

kris

Tags
charts, paracelle