Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 14:30   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Chart Symbol explanation

It is a sector light.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 15:18   #17

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
Say, what's the meaning of the dotted line halfway between the island and the mainland above ...?
Do you mean the black dashed line that originates at the Archer Point light and runs 156 Magnetic (or runs to the Archer Point light at 336 Magnetic, should you prefer) and crosses Rocky Island?

That line is on paper charts and electronic charts. And probably on all of them (probably since the late 19th century).

That black dashed line is the centre line of a section of shipping channel, running between the coast to the W and coral reefs etc to the E, offshore from about Rattlesnake Point in the S to about Thomas Point in the N.

Zoom out the electronic chart to show that black dashed line (and the sector light) in context. One possible problem with electronic charts is that context can be missing or lost when zoomed in.
Old 11-08-2017, 15:26   #18

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotstogo View Post
I wasn't familiar with that chart so I Googled it and it is somewhere in Anguilla, I think. Looking at a larger map of the area it appears there is a small island named Sandy Cay within the red arc of the sector light. In this case it seems the light is warning mariners of the potential hazard of Sandy Cay when approaching the light..
Here's the larger view showing the hazard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-08-11 17.11.40.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	153938  
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 16:02   #19

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Quote:
Say, what's the meaning of the dotted line halfway between the island and the mainland above ...?
Do you mean the black dashed line that originates at the Archer Point light and runs 156 Magnetic (or runs to the Archer Point light at 336 Magnetic, should you prefer) and crosses Rocky Island?
I think he means the dotted line halfway between the island and the mainland, that separates two dark-blue shaded areas ... the linked Navionics web-app just labels it as "obstruction" which isn't very descriptive.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 16:13   #20

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I think he means the dotted line halfway between the island and the mainland, that separates two dark-blue shaded areas ... the linked Navionics web-app just labels it as "obstruction" which isn't very descriptive.
Mea culpa! I missed that one. Dotted lines surround an obstruction. SoThe chartlet StuM loaded used only dotted lines and did not use other line formats.

Here's a clip from my CM93v3 chart that should make the situation clearer.
Old 11-08-2017, 16:30   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think it is priceless, that Amazon will sell you a $10 ebook which consists of....The same PDF file that the US government generously provides for free. Hell, they used to even give out the paper version of the booklet for free, might still do that too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 18:50   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I use GPS and a chartplotter, as everyone does, so I don't rely on shore based guides, but it's good to know what they are for and how they work.
Just a comment here, really. Yes, most everyone uses GPS and some form of chart plotting. But, if you meant that you ignore shore based aids to navigation, you might want to reconsider that. If you were coming in from the sea towards that area, that white light, and following it would keep you safe, and the red, lead you into danger.

Just imagine a lightning strike taking out your electronics. Using Mark One Eyeball and basic piloting skills will save your bacon.

Ann
Old 11-08-2017, 20:27   #23

Thank you, that zoomed in chart makes it all really clear. I wouldn't want to run into any of those islands or shoals at night, or day for that matter! You are right to suppose that a light could be out of service. I am not familiar with the conditions of navigation aids in Anguilla (a place I dearly would love to see). I am also really not aware of how the authorities would alert mariners of equipment that is out of service. Your experience would provide more truth to the matter.

To change the subject, I am a pilot in the US and there is a protocol called NOTAM (notice to airmen) where local conditions can be relayed to aircrew. The governing body of aviation in the US, the FAA, also spends a lot of effort to verify the functionality of the air transportation system. However, there have been incidents of aircraft striking treetops with their landing gear because there was enough discrepancy in the reported minimums for an instrument approach.

The reason I bring that up is because you and I and a lot of others rely on technology to get us there safely. Even a cheap portable GPS can navigate us along a known course. Sure our navionics can fail but so can ground based systems. I'm curious about your light there in Anguilla and I hope you can investigate it.

Well, if it all goes pear shaped, that's a good place to get shipwrecked I'd say.
knotstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 20:34   #24

Now that is an awesome example!
Old 11-08-2017, 20:49   #25

Ouch...
Old 12-08-2017, 04:23   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
8 sectors. 8th sector is unlit. Mostly that in the land side but some is water area.
Pedant

Seven light sectors
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:38   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
On a related note ...
I see electronic maps (or possibly just Navionics) use a lot of dotted lines, and it can be tricky to make out their meaning. Say, what's the meaning of the dotted line halfway between the island and the mainland above ...?

According to the info I can tunnel down to when I hover over the line:
Great Barrier Reef - Nature Reserve - Restricted Area - Habitat Protection.

For more info, you need to look at the GBR MArine Park zoning maps.
Zoning maps - GBRMPA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GBRMPZOnesArcherPt.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	153965   Click image for larger version

Name:	HabitatZone.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	153966  

Old 12-08-2017, 04:43   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I use GPS and a chartplotter, as everyone does, so I don't rely on shore based guides, but it's good to know what they are for and how they work. Of course, if they are not maintained and don't work, they are worse than useless.
Danger, Will Robinson!

Use all available aids including the mark one eyeball and lights/marks etc.
In the case of a constricted location like Gubbins Reef, the light sectors are a far better guide than GPS and chartplotter. At least you will be looking outside the boat and will see other vessels using the same route.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:02   #29

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Using Mark One Eyeball and basic piloting skills will save your bacon.

Ann
Absolutely agree. I just meant that, as we are not in the US, I would be wary of expecting any equipment to be working. I don't trust Government moorings to be maintained, hazards to be marked correctly, or information to be accurate.
I asked the question because I am working hard to be better at navigation. When I can't find an answer I ask people who I know will have the experience.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:14   #30

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Pedant

Seven light sectors
Yes, I am. I even do it professionally. ⚒🔨🛠⛏🔩
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote