Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2018, 06:37   #106

Boat: naver 29
Re: Chart Sticker Shock 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Remember that the Nazis and the Communists both used the metric system.
They also drank water,wore clothes,lived in houses,had noses,slept.do you do any of those things? apparently it makes you a Communist/Nazi if you do
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 06:42   #107

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . . But as to metric being universally standard:if it is so, why does the notation change from place to place? Sometimes I see "3,5" sometimes "3.5" What is the comma for? Does it mean something different than a point? Is it a decimal comma? If they mean the same thing, why have it different? If a decimal isn't enough, should it be the "Decimalcomma" system? Or perhaps the "Decimalcommunist."
What to use as a digit group separator and decimal separators (the technical term) has nothing to do with the metric system. It's just a question how you write numbers, and the question exists no less when dealing with non-metric measures. Is it 10,000 pounds? Or 10 000 pounds? Or 10.000 pounds? 5.3 ounces or 5,3 ounces? The AMA, for example, doesn't use the comma as a digit group separator, and in the UK you rarely see it. We usual write 5.3 ounces in the U.S., but in the UK you are just as likely to see 5,3 ounces (although 5.3 is official and previously, they had something called a "mid-dot" -- a period floating higher). In Canada, although the measures are all the same, you would write 5.3 of something in the English-speaking part and 5,3 in Quebec. In Japan, Ireland and India, you write 5.3 and not 5,3, although all these countries are on the metric system.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator

Thread drift, but not even grouping digits of large numbers in threes is universal. In India, they alternate between three, two and two digits -- weird.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 17:10   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
What to use as a digit group separator and decimal separators (the technical term) has nothing to do with the metric system. It's just a question how you write numbers, and the question exists no less when dealing with non-metric measures. Is it 10,000 pounds? Or 10 000 pounds? Or 10.000 pounds? 5.3 ounces or 5,3 ounces? The AMA, for example, doesn't use the comma as a digit group separator, and in the UK you rarely see it. We usual write 5.3 ounces in the U.S., but in the UK you are just as likely to see 5,3 ounces (although 5.3 is official and previously, they had something called a "mid-dot" -- a period floating higher). In Canada, although the measures are all the same, you would write 5.3 of something in the English-speaking part and 5,3 in Quebec. In Japan, Ireland and India, you write 5.3 and not 5,3, although all these countries are on the metric system.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator

Thread drift, but not even grouping digits of large numbers in threes is universal. In India, they alternate between three, two and two digits -- weird.
Thanks Dockhead, that was instructive. I've often wondered about the un-standardized notation. But I fear the thread has drifted already--it has been steadily going astray since my lament about the unfathomable foolishness of printing charts with metre soundings was met with a chorus of derision. It's the danger of having a different opinion than others on the web do.
Old 17-03-2018, 17:40   #109

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
my lament about the unfathomable foolishness of printing charts with metre soundings was met with a chorus of derision.
Ya know, if you would lay off inflammatory language such as the above, perhaps folks would take you seriously instead of lambasting you with derision. Several of your posts make kinda derogatory statements about those who disagree with you, and as a rule such comments don't set well with anyone... or at least, with me!

Jim
Old 17-03-2018, 17:43   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ya know, if you would lay off inflammatory language such as the above, perhaps folks would take you seriously instead of lambasting you with derision. Several of your posts make kinda derogatory statements about those who disagree with you, and as a rule such comments don't set well with anyone... or at least, with me!

Jim
"unFATHOMable foolishness . . ."

Ha, ha! Jim, I think he was joking.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 17-03-2018, 17:45   #111

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

Not only weird but alternating between two and two digits would be downright confusing.....
Old 17-03-2018, 17:53   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Remember that the Nazis and the Communists both used the metric system.
Yes, I know. That's what I said in my reply. You twice blamed called the metric system a communist plot or similar. I merely pointed out that what you claimed would be the result of any kind of totalitarian government.

You also complain that you are demeaned on the forum because you hold a different opinion. I think perhaps if you expressed your opinion in a more respectful way you would get a more respectful reply. Not saying agreement but most surely less derision.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 18:44   #113

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
"unFATHOMable foolishness . . ."

Ha, ha! Jim, I think he was joking.
Well, I did get the weak pun, but was more looking at the "foolishness", which was more in line with his many derogatory comments upthread. So, lets hang him by the FOOT to the YARDarm... that'll pINCH off his complaints!

Jim
Old 17-03-2018, 19:29   #114

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

And, if anybody wants to use their paper charts in the rain and spray, there are clear plastic envelopes to keep them dry, and you can even make one out of clear PVC. It will not keep it on your boat if you're careless, though.

I think their greatest impracticality is their bulk, Dockhead's 54 footer probably has lots of bunks to store charts under, and he says it is FULL, just of Northern Europe, and the Baltic. They are also heavy. But, they sure are great for trip planning.

Ann
Old 18-03-2018, 01:59   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Not only weird but alternating between two and two digits would be downright confusing.....
Not if you think in different units.

They don't have thousand and million. They have lakh and crore : 1,00,000 and 1,00,00,000.

Pretty cool, eh?
Walt Whitman
Old 18-03-2018, 02:05   #116

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Not if you think in different units.

They don't have thousand and million. They have lakh and crore : 1,00,000 and 1,00,00,000.

Pretty cool, eh?
Yes very cool but that is not what you said..... changing the goalposts post event is un-cool.... read what you rit.....
Old 18-03-2018, 03:32   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Yes very cool but that is not what you said..... changing the goalposts post event is un-cool.... read what you rit.....
??

I wrote: "In India, they alternate between three, two and two digits -- weird."

And that's what they do, and you can see it in the notation for lakh and crore. Lakh is a group of two then group of three; crore two two and three.

Something not clear?

You can see the alternating pattern well in their big numbers, like this:

That's ten lakh crore. We would call that number ten trillion.

For more information, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_numbering_system
Walt Whitman
Old 18-03-2018, 03:37   #118
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
I'm sorry if my comments have offended you: it is not my intention to attack anyone personally; my purpose is to richly denigrate the foolishness of things and ideas--like communism or the metric system--that make humanity worse.
I tend to forget how sensitive some folk are to non-personal comments, as though they were directed at them. So, apologies, Jim, to you and anyone else who thought I was attacking them as themselves.
Be it noted, though, that in all of these threads about the metric system where everyone gets bent out of shape at me (good thing I'm not sensitive, eh?) it is always the metriphiles who either begin the controversy (see a thread from times past: "Convenience of the Metric System" started by user Lars L. Or see Atoll's rude comment to Evans when he asked an innocent question in pounds in a more recent discussion). I commented in this thread that it was a shame that recent editions of some charts have gone to meters, and someone chimed in to tell me that metric is better, and logical, and easy. Does that not count as offensive? He was stating that the thing I prefer is bad because it's old and he can't understand it, and I should reject it because of that. Isn't that incendiary as well?
Why are people only considered rude when they disagree with you? Food for thought.
Old 18-03-2018, 03:59   #119

Boat: naver 29

Quote:
I'm sorry if my comments have offended you: it is not my intention to attack anyone personally; my purpose is to richly denigrate the foolishness of things and ideas--like communism or the metric system--that make humanity worse.
I tend to forget how sensitive some folk are to non-personal comments, as though they were directed at them. So, apologies, Jim, to you and anyone else who thought I was attacking them as themselves.
Be it noted, though, that in all of these threads about the metric system where everyone gets bent out of shape at me (good thing I'm not sensitive, eh?) it is always the metriphiles who either begin the controversy (see a thread from times past: "Convenience of the Metric System" started by user Lars L. Or see Atoll's rude comment to Evans when he asked an innocent question in pounds in a more recent discussion). I commented in this thread that it was a shame that recent editions of some charts have gone to meters, and someone chimed in to tell me that metric is better, and logical, and easy. Does that not count as offensive? He was stating that the thing I prefer is bad because it's old and he can't understand it, and I should reject it because of that. Isn't that incendiary as well?
Why are people only considered rude when they disagree with you? Food for thought.
out of curiosity,if you dislike the metric system so much,what measurement system do you use for the electrical system on your boat?
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 11:51   #120
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
out of curiosity,if you dislike the metric system so much,what measurement system do you use for the electrical system on your boat?
I don't have an electrical system: everything electronic I use (handheld GPS and a couple LED headlamps) runs on AA and AAA batteries. Measuring not required.