Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 10:19   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Channel 13: Absolute Must

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
This is what the USCG says on the subject:

"Radio Watchkeeping Regulations
In general, any vessel equipped with a VHF marine radiotelephone (whether voluntarily or required to) must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radiotelephone is not being used to communicate."

Yes, that is the rule. As I pointed out above, many commercial operators ignore this rule and apparently, there is little or no enforcement. So, as a boater, you have to understand that this rule is not actually a rule and that if you need to contact a commercial operator, you may not get a response on the legally required channel 16.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:23   #17

Boat: Skookum 53'

Ch 16 is an emergency and hailing frequency only, yet many pleasure boaters treat it like Ch 19 on the CB, to date, I know of no one who has been prosecuted for that either.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:44   #18

My understanding is that the USCG is trying to get pleasure boaters to use 16 for emergencies only. Boat-to-boat hailing should be done on 9, then switch over to one of the Public Correspondence frequencies. Is my information correct? The truth is, I never hear any radio traffic on 16 or on 9 where I sail. I kinda like that.

Channel 13 for tug/barge correspondence is new to me. I look forward to trying it next spring. Those huge barges move surprisingly fast when they are barreling down the channel in my sailing area.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:26   #19

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbrew View Post
... And anyone worth their salt would know that commercial traffic comes first. Pleasure vessels need to respond accordingly, as they are in the evolution of sailing and thick of things, the tail end of it all. "Or possibly learn the hard way."
Let's face it. These aren't postdoctoral individuals. They know their stuff, and don't like those that don't. If we can't seem to understand that they are commercial vessels and therefore stick to commercial channels, they are more than willing to let us learn that fiberglass is no contest for a steel hull. As has been demonstrated time, and time again.

I'm not sure I've read this right, but it sounds like your uncle thinks that commercial traffic has right of way over pleasure traffic. That is not true. There is no provision in the colregs for whether skippers are being paid or not, nor is there any day shape or light signal to tell people whether you're commercial or pleasure.

As a tug captain, he is the stand on vessel over most when he has a tow, but not when he doesn't. Likewise, if he's using a traffic separation scheme or is constrained by draft he has more rights, but not when he isn't.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 13:24   #20

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
The truth is, according to my tug captain uncle, that commercial vessels see 16 as Coast Guards channel for emergency broadcasts. And anyone worth their salt would know that commercial traffic comes first.
My experience has been that I stay on channel 13.
The truth is that if you have a VHF radio on board and are not monitoring channel 16 you are breaking the law!
I agree that monitoring channel 13 is important, but safety, not commercial traffic comes first!
Old 10-02-2015, 15:40   #21

Boat: Ericson 27, 1978

Wow! I love the replies I got for this thread. Here's more quotes from my Uncle, when I showed him the link. #96 is his race bike name. He was State champion for his age group in road racing in 2003. He hit speeds of 185mph.

"Kool, but cmon, > never said they don't monitor 16, by law they have to.
On the tug I always have 2 radios and monitor channel 13 and 16.
In the coast guard daily log form, supposed to write in what radio channels the tug will be monitoring.
Always sign off saying standing by 13 and 16."
Kool.

H. #96
And.............

"BTW, the tug I worked on at Acosta bridge project, Red Angus, went south to Stuart Fla. I operated her for a year there with no permanent deck hand, just whoever they could spare, she had 3 radios, I had to monitor all 3, 13, 16, and a working channel usually 5 or 11.
Crowley uses 10 for working, McAllister-18 and Moran-19 I think.
It's fun."
Oceanbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 15:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I'm not sure I've read this right, but it sounds like your uncle thinks that commercial traffic has right of way over pleasure traffic. That is not true. There is no provision in the colregs for whether skippers are being paid or not, nor is there any day shape or light signal to tell people whether you're commercial or pleasure.

As a tug captain, he is the stand on vessel over most when he has a tow, but not when he doesn't. Likewise, if he's using a traffic separation scheme or is constrained by draft he has more rights, but not when he isn't.
That was my interpretation of his explanation. From what I understand rules of the road indicate that commercial vessels have right of way. Obviously a small fishing boat with paying customers doesn't count as what they think commercial vessels are. And, of course size, type of vessel, etc. play an important role in who was right of way.
Old 10-02-2015, 16:20   #23

Quote:
"Kool, but cmon, > never said they don't monitor 16, by law they have to.
On the tug I always have 2 radios and monitor channel 13 and 16.
In the coast guard daily log form, supposed to write in what radio channels the tug will be monitoring.
Always sign off saying standing by 13 and 16."
Kool...................
Yes the law says they have to monitor 16. My experience tell me that some do not. My point is, don't count on them answering a call on 16.

Of course my experience also tells me that sailboats often fail to respond to radio calls on 16. Perhaps the radio is inside and the captain is outside.
Old 10-02-2015, 17:01   #24

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
As a tug captain, he is the stand on vessel over most when he has a tow,
Show me where it says that in the Rules?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 17:04   #25

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
That was my interpretation of his explanation. From what I understand rules of the road indicate that commercial vessels have right of way. Obviously a small fishing boat with paying customers doesn't count as what they think commercial vessels are. And, of course size, type of vessel, etc. play an important role in who was right of way.
No. This is dangerously wrong. If you're going to operate a boat you need to understand the colregs.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-02-2015, 19:56   #26

Originally Posted by Oceanbrew
No. This is dangerously wrong. If you're going to operate a boat you need to understand the colregs.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

My response:
Rule 9 - Narrow Channels
-(b) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway. (c) A vessel engaged in fishing shall not impede the passage of any other vessel navigating within a narrow channel or fairway. (d) A vessel shall not cross a narrow channel or fairway if such crossing impedes the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within such channel or fairway.

Rule 10 - Inland - Steering and sailing rules
- Traffic Separation Schemes: (d)(ii) a vessel may use an inshore traffic zone when en route to or from a port, offshore installation or structure, pilot station or any other place situated within the inshore traffic zone, or to avoid immediate danger. (j) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the safe passage of a power-driven vessel following a traffic lane.

So.....in other words: From what I understand rules of the road indicate that commercial vessels have right of way. Obviously a small fishing boat with paying customers doesn't count as what they think commercial vessels are. And, of course size, type of vessel, etc. play an important role in who was right of way.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yes the law says they have to monitor 16. My experience tell me that some do not. My point is, don't count on them answering a call on 16.
Ron - take a look again at the excerpt from the USCG. The last sentence says that in a VTS area, they are required to monitor that channel 'in lieu of ch 16.'
Old 11-02-2015, 07:00   #28

Quote:
....in other words: From what I understand rules of the road indicate that commercial vessels have right of way...
You've taken excerpts from the rules that only cover narrow channels and TSS - even in these cases, commercial vessels are not given "right of way". The 'not impede' clauses are specific to the allowance of sufficient searoom for deep-draught vessels to navigate. As long as that condition is met, then the steering and sailing rules still apply.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:09   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Ron - take a look again at the excerpt from the USCG. The last sentence says that in a VTS area, they are required to monitor that channel 'in lieu of ch 16.'
OK, what is a "VTS area" and how is a recreational boater who has been led to believe all vessels must maintain a watch on channel 16 supposed to know where and when they do not?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:46   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I hope everyone caught this in Lodesmans post. When the designated vessels described below are using a VTS system and monitoring its channel (Ch 14 in the SF Bay), they are NOT required to monitor channel 16.

In addition, every power-driven vessel of 20 meters or over in length or of 100 tons and upwards carrying one or more passengers for hire, or a towing vessel of 26 feet or over in length, as well, as every dredge and floating plant operating near a channel or fairway, must also maintain a watch on channel 13........These vessels must also maintain a watch on the designated Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) frequency, in lieu of maintaining watch on channel 16, while transiting within a VTS area.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote