Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 05:27   #1

Burnt Store Marina to Port Canaveral

I am moving my Leopard 44 in early May for haul out and paint job to Port Canaveral. Trying to decide whether to go inside and through the drawbridge at Islamorada or outside around Key West. I am 70' high so Moser channel or other locations will not work. I went via Key West on the way here, but the Islamorada route cuts off about 60 miles, although it looks like a lot of skinny water and tight channels. Draft is 4.5 feet, and I would time it so I am in this area south and east of Sprigger bank during daylight and higher tide. Interested in hearing just how difficult this route is to navigate and stay off the hard stuff?
Jackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:03   #2

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Burnt Store Marina to Port Canaveral

We've been through this area on a Morgan OI with about the same draft, it wasn't that difficult to deal with the depths as long as you stayed in the channel. I assume you are talking about the draw bridge at Snake Creek, I do remember the current being a little swift through there and it being a somewhat narrow channel. Of course we were new to the boat and to the area so that may have played a part in my perceptions. It's been several years since that trip, so I can't say what has changed since Irma if anything. Good luck, and safe travels.
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:29   #3

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash

I see that you probably have already made the trip to Port Canaveral, so I will break in on this post. I am also doing the same trip but from Port Charlotte. We just purchased this boat, a Victory 35 catamaran with 4 foot draft and 49 foot top of mast from water line. and this is the first trip with this one. I sold my last boat about 7 years ago, so on relearning curve. I am looking for a decent route from pt charlotte to port canaveral. Also any pointers that will help me through the keys for a shorter route.
Thanks
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:44   #4

Port Charlotte to the Keys is a pretty straight shot, with plenty of places to duck in should conditions warrant. Be sure to stay clear of the Romano shoals south of Marco. The stretch from Marco to Cape Sable is notorious for gusty winds, often not forecasted and we saw this on the way both times. You will also be out of cell range for a big chunk of this segment. you can go under the bridge at Moser Pass near Marathon, or continue on the Gulf side via a well-marked route up to Islamorada and go through the drawbridge there. It opens on the top of the hour 24 hours a day. You can pick up the gulf stream about 25-35 miles E-NE of Islamorada and ride it up to Ft Pierce or so and exit on a track towards Port Canaveral. If you prefer to hug land, there are a number of anchorages south of Miami and all the way up the Florida coast. If you're able to get out to the gulf stream, do it as you can really make some incredible speeds. Good luck and let me know if i can provide any more info
Jackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:30   #5

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

We've done this trip a couple times on our 42' Passage. If you want to hop down it's a really nice trip with you being at anchor along the way in time for dinner and sun downers.

We left Charlotte Harbor Boat storage and headed out through the lock and to Cayo Costa where we anchored the first night. From there we have done both ways to Fort Myers Beach, the ICW and going on the outside. Both are fairly straight forward and put you there in plenty of time before sun down. From FMB we have done both hopped our way down and gone straight to Key West. The run to KW is about 24 hrs for us so it was an overnight that put us there the next morning. Depending on the winds you might have to slow yourself down to make sure you get there in the day light. It is a well traveled route and there are makers on the chart to give you heading information for the route. When we hopped down after FMB we went to Marco Island and anchored just at the entrance to factory bay, if you travel on the weekend expect a lot of traffic, and be mindful of the jog at the entrance to Big Marco Pass it can be confusing and there is opportunity to run aground there. At the #6 marker turn to just starboard of #9 and that should keep you in the channel. After that there is plenty of water all the way back to Factory bay, we anchored on the port side just across from the Pelican Pier Marina. From Marco we hopped down to Little Shark north of Cape Sable, we've anchored inside behind marker #3, depending on the time of year though you may consider outside and well off shore due to the bugs. From Little Shark our last leg is usually to Marathon and Boot Key Harbor.

If you are in a hurry or want to cut off some miles you can head to the Channel 5 bridge just west of Lower Matecumbe Key or to the Snake Creek draw bridge just west of Plantation Key. I haven't taken this route from Little Shark to either of these so I can't help you much, but I think you can pick up the ICW just south of Cape Sable and it will get you to both of these bridges. Also, because of your air draft you can take a route behind Marco Island that will put you in Gullivan bay just north of Panther Key. I can't help you with this either since our air draft is 60' but I know several trawlers that prefer this route and spend a few days anchoring in the 10k islands along the way. Expect to lose cell coverage just south of Marco Island and get it back about 3-4 miles off of the Keys.

All in all it is a nice trip, our shortest trip was 3 days and our longest was 3 weeks due to weather, work, and boat issues. We have a friend leaving Marathon on Saturday and he is expecting to be inside the lock towards Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage late Sunday, sailing straight through, so it can be done in less time if you have to do it I guess. I've just never been in that much of a hurry.

Good luck hope this helps.
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote