Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2020, 15:10   #16

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Budget/NoName Android tablet for Navionics ?

Get a used Samsung Active Tab. It's robust and waterproof.

If Navionics is not after the very latest Android and you use it rather exclusive for this purpose, I think security issues from using an older Android version are neglectable.

If you plan to use it also for a lot of web browsing though I'd look for a newer Android version.

If you are not getting an Active Tab, get one of the most popular models because then you have a good chance to find a real watertight skin for it.
Maybe look for the skin (not just a pouch) and decide on the model than.
Be carefully that the skin is not just splash proof but rather waterproof.

Add a Qi wireless charging receptor before putting it into the skin and you can leave it in the lifeproof skin indefinitely.
Old 04-06-2020, 16:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl96 View Post
Does anyone have experience using one of the budget/no-name Android tablets you can get on Amazon for ~$100 with Navionics (or other nav app)? I am going to be using Navionics for an upcoming trip from Miami to TX that will largely follow the coast rather than cross the Gulf. Based on other threads, my default choice for primary navigation is an iPad + Bluetooth GPS.

However, I can buy 3 Budget/NoName Android tablets on Amazon for the price of one low end iPad and they have built-in GPS. Hoping someone has experience with these devices. The allure to me is the redundancy for same cost as iPad.

Thanks!
I actually preemptively purchased a $99 Amazon tablet from Amazon that has it's own GPS receiver independent of wifi or other networks. I've included a link - I haven't had the opportunity to use it other than on a trial basis, but with different nav apps it pinpoints my location despite Wifi being turned off.

Dragon Touch K10 Tablet, 10 inch Android Tablet with 16 GB Quad Core Processor, 1280x800 IPS HD Display, Micro HDMI, GPS, FM, 5G WiFi (Silver)
by Dragon Touch
Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MCHG6..._-Zx2EbTXR226Y

I bought it strictly as a backup/alternate device, as the boats we're looking at next week all have updated chartplotters, but several of the cruisers we follow on YouTube channels all say you can't be over-prepared. Again, I haven't had the chance to use it for actual navigation yet, but will be looking forward to trying it in parallel with installed devices.
rwaldrop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 18:55   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

You get what you pay for. The Dragon Touch has just 2GB (as other low-end units) but just 16GB storage; since the OS needs about 9GB that leaves the user with 7GB - you won't store a lot of charts with that so add the price of a microSDcard. Also the CPU has a 1.3GHz clock, compared to the inexpensive Samsung with 2GHz, or about a third less performance with the Dragon. It will stay at Android 8 forever as they are highly unlike to update the OS and no developers will be working on it. No doubt it will work - but really I think going up a bit is worth it.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:46   #19

32gb MicroSD are only $5 these days from Amazon
Heck 128gb are ~$15 !
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, navionics