Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2015, 16:21   #31

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Budget navigation - Chartplotter/GPS/Radar

Another vote for OpenCPN on a laptop. I'd look for a refurbished business class laptop with a Matt screen, cuts down on the glare. For the gas antenna look on eBay for a used Garmin GPS 17. The can be had for little money and will survive the environment for a long time.

For iPads I'd stick with SeaIQ. Has good integration with active captain and can download free NOAA charts. I would avoid iNavX. The latest versions is a scam, forcing you to purchase what are normally free NOAA charts!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 16:41   #32

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Thanks everyone! I'm still up in the air.

I pmed Moja regarding his system.

I'd like to have radar at some point, but doesn't need to be right this second. If Moja responds and his system is meets what I need, I'll probably follow through on him vrs opencpn.

I do like opencpn and the cheapness of that setup.

What draws me to Moja setup, is the fact I'll be spending nearly the same on an open cpn system(duplicated) wihout radar or I could buy the Raymarine Moja has which does have radar.

Oh decisions decisions decisions. If only I could pickup a radar system that could overlay on opencpn or polar navy
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 16:50   #33

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

If you do buy the older Ray system, make sure it supports the latest cards with an adapter (not CF cards). Otherwise you will be stuck buying old cards on eBay.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 17:18   #34

Boat: H36

I am missing something? I just can't image a laptop at my helm in a breeze, let alone with rain with a block power supply and the battery drain.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 03:16   #35

Boat: Bénéteau First 25.7

Welcome CaptBobGilliam to CF.

Nice to see that you have joined this friendly forum.
Fair winds for 2016 !
Delafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 08:35   #36

Your boat isn't much bigger than mine, I have a laptop with opencpn etc.
Bought a small Garmin and have it bulkhead mounted. Just not enough room for the full laptop setup, no place in the cockpit, no dedicated nav station, only place for it was down below on the galley table where it was pretty much useless when you are at the helm.
The laptop setup works great, no problems there. Would have that setup as part of my nav system on a bigger boat for sure. Just not really a workable solution on a smaller boat due to space.
My gps is where an old depth sounder was mounted, Tiller pilot etc all wired up to a N2k network, no exposed wiring and no loss of space.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 09:03   #37

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

IMO, If you want to stay on a budget, do not buy marine chartplotters like a garmin, raymarine, etc. You can buy several PC/Apple based Nav systems for the price of a marine unit and have the advantage of full redundancy plus a platform that can do a lot more like email, etc. I have been using OpenCPN on a 6 year old laptop with a $35 dollar GPS antenna and it has worked great for 3 years using free NOAA charts. I've heard very good things about Navionics on ipad for Caribbean use. Get a used PC and/or ipad. Spend $100 - $150 on each and $35 for the GPS antenna. The software is basically free. Put navigation software on your smartphone if you have it and you can have 3 devices with nav for ~$300.

Forget the radar. You don't need it and technically if you have it, you are required to have it on and monitor it, which may drive more cost in your electrical system to support that load.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 09:22   #38

Boat: H36

Only US charts are free. I sail in us and Canadian waters so iPad/Navitronics are good deal. US-Canada charts covers Bahamas and parts of Mexico.

Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 10:14   #39

Boat: Corbin 39

Panasonic Toughbook pc x 2, load Fugawi navigation software on both units, GPS kit for Panasonic Toughbook CF-H1 in one unit.

Set up pc for windows remote, one unit in docking station at nav station second unit is used in cookpit when required wireless. GPS kit is for backup to AIS GPS signal from your new Horizon VHF radio GX 2200.

Panasonic Toughbook CF H1 CF H1CDJBZ6M Atom Z540 1 86GHz 2GB 80GB Win7Pro w Dock | eBay

GPS Kit for Panasonic Toughbook CF H1 CF H2 Ublox 6 | eBay

Standard Horizon Matrix Fixed Mount VHF w AIS GPS Class D DSC 30W Black GX2200 | eBay
dmalcol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 10:53   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Forget the radar. You don't need it and technically if you have it, you are required to have it on and monitor it, which may drive more cost in your electrical system to support that load.
Like most boats in general, most boats with radar never leave the dock. I doubt few boats that have it leave the dock when it's foggy even though they could. Of course prevailing wisdom is that if you don't have it you'll die!!!

I've never had it so can't comment on using it but because I've never had it I can at least tell you I haven't died yet for not having it. I can see the OP is from Seattle but he hasn't told us where he intends to go cruising or what his plans are, like will he leave the dock when it's forecast to be foggy?

I agree not having it may mean changing your behavior on the occasions it would come in handy. Whether or not it is worth it is a personal choice. Depends a lot on what kind of budget you're working with I suppose.

For myself it's at the bottom of the wish list. I recently left the dock at Hilton Head in a dense fog and went twenty miles out Tybee Roads and then up the Savannah River. I survived to tell the tale and can tell you it wasn't even remotely harrowing.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 11:09   #41

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Had not noticed that that the O/P is from Seattle. All of the west coast is prone to fog and it can arrive with no warning. I lived on the north of Vancouver Island until recently and would be worried about sailing anywhere around there without radar.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 11:11   #42

I go out in fog now and again. I found the AIS receiver well worth it for identifying boat traffic. Most boats I'd be worried about hitting (larger power and shipping traffic) are on AIS. I bought a VHF radio with AIS for $300 and it is wired to the PC. OpenCPN will display the AIS hits so I don't have to look at the radio. OpenCPN can also display radar and GRIB... love that free software!
Old 28-12-2015, 11:17   #43
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
I am missing something? I just can't image a laptop at my helm in a breeze, let alone with rain with a block power supply and the battery drain.

Mine is below in the Nav Station. Doesn't have to be at the helm.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 11:29   #44

Quote:

I also have my laptop in the nav-station, which I can see from half the cockpit area. I'm considering adding a remote display. There are many USB powered displays starting around $99 that could easily be mounted in the cockpit in a water resistant, sun-shaded container. like tupperware! But I find it pretty easy to deal with the plotter below. Many use ipads in zipper bags in the rain..
Old 28-12-2015, 11:30   #45

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
===

There are weather proof laptops available with fairly bright screens. Try to get an off-lease Panasonic Toughbook. They really are very rugged.

Off-Lease Panasonic Toughbook CF 29 Fully Rugged, Shocks Resistant, Drops Resistant, Water Resistant, Dust Resistant. 13.3 inch outdoor Screen, Wireless, Military Certified [ToughBook CF-29 Fully Rugged Standard Refurbished] - $699.99 : KingOfLaptops
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, chartplotter, gps, navigation, radar