Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2021, 10:32   #16

Boat: Nonsuch 354
Re: Bridge Clearance Atlantic ICW

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ICW & Atlantic Coast Mile by Mile Planning Guide. It is updated annually and contains, among other things, bridge clearances and whether the bridge is fixed or opening. Also lists marinas and much other info useful for boaters.
Old 14-05-2021, 10:34   #17

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

There is a water level board at every bridge that get you a clear reading of the clearance.
So, you will be warn !
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 10:35   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
There is a water level board at every bridge that get you a clear reading of the clearance.
So, you will be warn !

I wish that were true. Many bridges were missing their batter boards.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 10:39   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I went all the way down the ICW last fall. There were bridges that had 63.5 foot clearance. I wouldn't do the ICW with air draft above 63 feet unless I had time to wait for low tides. Miami has a 55 foot bridge.
This lower clearance bridge in Miami is the Julia Tuttle Bridge with a MHW clearance of 56 feet; however, that is at the center span. There is actually about 20" increased clearance under the two spans adjacent to the center without the steel beams.
Old 14-05-2021, 11:30   #20

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

On our trip south in 2020 we met a boater that was at the Grande Dunes Marina south of Myrtle Beach and due to high water on the Waccamaw River they were stuck waiting for the water to go down so they could continue south.

We have met others that have had to wait for the rivers or tides to go down which is not a good position to be in when there is a strong current.

If you have a mast over 62 you will need to be very careful and ask others ahead of you to report the bridge clearances well ahead of your approach when in doubt.

I do believe that some of the bridges have settled which is often by design in addition the land in some areas has subsided due to over draw from wells. And there is the sea level rise to consider. So be careful out there.
Mike Crothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 11:45   #21

Btw, the Indian River bridges (just south of Canaveral locks) are only 64 ft; maybe 5 or 6 inch variation. Clearance markers hardly change. Generally, these bridges would be considered fixed 65 ft bridges, but that was when they were built. So, yes I agree if more tha 63 air draft avoid the ICW. Good news is most inlets are not constrained by bridges, for example; ft Pierce, port Everglades, st Mary’s, Mayport, st Augustine, etc.
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 12:11   #22

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Having a 63’6” mast I would point out that the Wabbasso bridge varies significantly with both tides and time of year. The rainfall in summer can make the Wabbasso bridge a good 6-8” higher than in late December.
Old 14-05-2021, 12:41   #23

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Of course they aren't getting any worse either...

This question has always baffled me.

As the owner of a boat with a 67 foot air draft, we never even consider the ICW. Even if we COULD fit, we'd infinitely prefer the ocean route.

I would think that any boat that would carry a 65+ foot mast would be capable of ocean voyages? On the other hand if you think the ICW is a cool trip, a sailboat of that size just seems kind of the wrong choice....
I think the Manatees would just prefer the ditch - probably can't wait to get out of Maine
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 13:25   #24

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Has anybody done the ICW with a 7.5 ft draft (ya know the other draft)?
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 14:18   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
No, but i do it with 6’4” and the extra shouldn't/wouldn't be an issue once you learn to stay in the channel and not cut turns.
Old 14-05-2021, 14:35   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
I am 6’6” and did much of it between 2016 and 2017. I ran aground 3 times, had to be towed once, waited it out once, backed off once. The time I backed off a fellow 3 boats up ran aground and then there was a general melee of people going all over and my long keeler not wanting to back in a straight line. There was another place in Florida I went across twice and struck hard both times but managed to push over, with help of tide.

It know someone who did it in 2015 with 7’. He ran aground something like 6 times. Had to be pulled off a few times.

I have just discovered that the AquaMap subscription version ($10/year) contains NOAA soundings from recent surveys. It is very well done with an indication of age. If I were to try the ditch again I would be sure to have this app. I think it would help a lot as locations of frequent groundings get a lot of attention.

Not the ICW but entrance to Town Creek Beaufort.

And then a tricky spot along the ICW between Cape Fear and Myrtle Beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CD4756D-51D8-421C-8E56-6E8D6C02B283.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	238413   Click image for larger version

Name:	82B9ED14-0203-4DA6-8961-BF85F5FF9EE6.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	238414  

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 14:50   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
No, but i do it with 6’4” and the extra shouldn't/wouldn't be an issue once you learn to stay in the channel and not cut turns.
Thanks sailorboy1, I would only do Norfolk to Beaufort if the weather was dicey. At 7.5 I stick with the navigation Aides and don’t follow the other sailboats in strange Horbors. I have seen vessels (literally) on rocks 10 ft away from channel markers on the Connecticut side of the Sound.
Old 14-05-2021, 14:59   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I am 6’6” and did much of it between 2016 and 2017. I ran aground 3 times, had to be towed once, waited it out once, backed off once. The time I backed off a fellow 3 boats up ran aground and then there was a general melee of people going all over and my long keeler not wanting to back in a straight line. There was another place in Florida I went across twice and struck hard both times but managed to push over, with help of tide.

It know someone who did it in 2015 with 7’. He ran aground something like 6 times. Had to be pulled off a few times.

I have just discovered that the AquaMap subscription version ($10/year) contains NOAA soundings from recent surveys. It is very well done with an indication of age. If I were to try the ditch again I would be sure to have this app. I think it would help a lot as locations of frequent groundings get a lot of attention.

Not the ICW but entrance to Town Creek Beaufort.

And then a tricky spot along the ICW between Cape Fear and Myrtle Beach.
Thanks
I gotta stick the ocean route, the vessel is totally capable, single handing and sleeping is my issue, just started with the salty Dawgs landed a vessel gonna do a couple of reps before committing with my “cream puff”.
Old 14-05-2021, 15:06   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
No doubt water levels are rising. This is becoming very problematic for southeast FL.
No doubt. Perhaps a prudent skipper should do due diligence to research bridge height before undertaking any passage. Same as the depth of those Florida inlets, the heights are known to change frequently.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 17:52   #30

Three years ago with a 7 ft draft; very tricky, bumped several times. Don’t do it, with more than 7 ft....
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw