Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2020, 18:39   #1

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
"Bluewater sailboat wanted"

I am concerned about the number of newbies in search of a "bluewater" sailboat - whether catamaran or monohull inquiries - to take them along into their dream of leaving it all behind and living the cruiser dream. Concern that their expectation is that a true bluewater sailboat will carry them away safely, and make up for their lack of experience and good seamanship.

We see it quite frequently lately. Have saved $20k or even $100‐200k for our bluewater sailboat to take us on our dream. Have taken ASA whatever courses, and now just need the boat to take us across the Atlantic, Pacific, or to Mars! I think the expectation is that the proper sailboat can overcome weather, distance, poor crew prep, etc. Just want to get the message that there is no such thing as a baoat that can overcome bad seamanship, poor prep, or really bad weather. "Bluewater capable" cannot make up for these, in the normal person's budget.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 19:12   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: "Bluewater sailboat wanted"

I was walking through the parking lot the other day and I stopped to admire a large raised 4 wheel drive crew cab with a big turbo diesel. Now having worked in a job where we actually needed the power and capabilities of such a truck, and loaded (or overloaded) them up regularly, I really admired the trucks for what they could do. This truck was very clean and looked like it was just being used to run errands around town. Maybe some of us want things for what they MIGHT be called on to do for us someday, not what they WILL do for us today; a kind of security thing. There are some bluewater boats around here that rarely leave the slip, and only then to motor around the harbor a bit, maybe at Christmas or 4th of July.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 19:15   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Same people who buy a Suburban because it’s “safer”, then go faster than they can stop in the snow. Darwin’s still around here somewhere, last I looked.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 22:07   #4

But what does this have to do with navigation?
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 22:17   #5

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I am concerned about the number of newbies in search of a "bluewater" sailboat - "
You are (probably) not their Mommy.

Your life will be happier when you find something to be concerned about that you have control over.

I am “concerned” about my boat, first. Customer’s boats second. Everybody else? Meh. Not my job.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 23:17   #6

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post

Your life will be happier when you find something to be concerned about that you have control over.

I am “concerned” about my boat, first. Customer’s boats second. Everybody else? Meh. Not my job.
I'm concerned about my own affairs as well, but I also cringe to think of someone who might be a danger to themselves, or my boat, or leave a bad wake. We all get to pay when a few of us screw up. Whether it's leaving a bad name for cruisers or dragging into me or whatever.

I expect that I am happy enough, with room be concerned about others as well.
Old 28-05-2020, 02:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post

Yeah, not even their daddy, and my life just fine so you don't need to be concerned about that.
Old 28-05-2020, 02:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
But what does this have to do with navigation?
Was thinking bluewater voyage, but Admin feel free to move if appropriate.
Old 28-05-2020, 03:06   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

There has been quite a rash of those threads lately. I wonder if new members could be made to do X amount of thread searches on a topic before allowing to post about it, since most are pretty similar.
The other forum I'm member of requires a certain amount of interaction in other posts before a new member can start a thread, so the mods can gauge the tenor of the person. But it's of necessity heavily moderated.
Old 28-05-2020, 03:48   #10

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

Are you advocating that these members not post, not take advantage of feedback and just go do it anyway?

So why can they not work to fulfill a dream?

Should they really just give up?.. buy a dinghy, then a 22 ft, then a 26ft or 30ft until someone some where on the internet seems it safe for them to sail out of sight of land?

Although there are a number of these threads, there are compelling reasons why in our current environment people would be in a position to reevaluate their lives and priorities.. and I certainly don't think it is up to anyone here to question their life choices, as we are all guilty of making the same one.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 05:09   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I am concerned about the number of newbies in search of a "bluewater" sailboat - whether catamaran or monohull inquiries - to take them along into their dream of leaving it all behind and living the cruiser dream.

Perhaps a consequence of Covid-19 lockdowns, and the collapse of other activities or plans. Maybe too many cooped-up people spending too much time watching utuber reality show cruisers.

There have been a number of these "I gotta dream..." threads. I tend to ignore most of them unless I have something specific to say, or have a connection to the person. In general, I don't think it's my responsibility to help, or to hinder. I'm not "concerned" with these folks.

Most of the time these people come on asking impossible or personal questions:
  • Which boat is best?
  • How much does it cost?
  • Should I sail away with my family, or should I abandon my spouse?
  • Where best to live?
  • Etc...
We've all been there. We all gotta start somewhere, but these kinds of questions really just show the poster doesn't know enough yet. The cruising life is still an unknown-unknown to them. Those that are truly interested in the cruising life will learn, and then come back with useful questions. The ever-dreamers will fall away.
Old 28-05-2020, 05:20   #12

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Perhaps a consequence of Covid-19 lockdowns, and the collapse of other activities or plans. Maybe too mant cooped-up people spending too much time watching utuber reality show cruisers.

There have been a number of these "I gotta dream..." threads. I tend to ignore most of them unless I have something specific to say, or have a connection to the person. In general, I don't think it's my responsibility to help, or to hinder. I'm not "concerned" with these folks.

Most of the time these people come on asking impossible or personal questions:
  • Which boat is best?
  • How much does it cost?
  • Should I sail away with my family, or should I abandon my spouse?
  • Where best to live?
  • Etc...
We've all been there. We all gotta start somewhere, but these kinds of questions really just show the poster doesn't know enough yet. The cruising life is still an unknown-unknown to them. Those that are truly interested in the cruising life will learn, and then come back with useful questions. The ever-dreamers will fall away.

Well.... abandon spouse is, in some cases, the safest route )
Kidding lol
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 17:36   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

In other words, I think the OP is wondering whether this forum is enabling irresponsible behavior by heaping advice on newbies who aren't qualified to select the good and reject the bad. The only consistent advice they seem to get (which is good IMO) is: start small and get experience so you know what questions to ask. Beyond that, the advice goes every which way. I wonder whether we could cut the process down with a mandatory sticky thread for those first-time posters about that topic.

Tags
Bluewater, boat, sail, sailboat, wanted, water