Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2008, 06:15   #31

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Yikes.....I've piecemealed a ragtag system over the years.

I have Mapsource, which is a garmin product. It allows me to plan at home on the laptop, then upload routes and waypoints to my garmin handheld. I like the marina information it has. I can pull up phone numbers and see what services marinas on my route have. Mapsource is proprietary so you have to pay garmin for unlock codes to charts. It doesn't allow the import of Noaa charts . I purchased my usual crusing waters awhile ago.

I also have an older version of Nobeltec. Nobeltec allows me to download and import the free noaa bsb charts and has many features that I like. It overlays current arrows and tide bars for example. I can plan and print my trip plan and keep it in paper format. If I lose all Electronics, I still have my plan. ( waypoints, course, distance etc.)

I have a garmin 545 plotter at the helm, as well. I like the redundancy of having my laptop and handheld programmed with my entire trip. I then plot the dailly trip on the 545 each night before departure. I also manually plot fixes on my paper charts should I lose all electronics.

I've stored quite a few BSB Noaa charts on large capacity USB memory sticks. The download time on highspeed was no problem.

I want to add radar and AIS this season, so It's time to re-think everything I currently do.

I would look at Nobeltec again.

Both Nobeltec and Garmin are now in the radar business, but I wonder how proven they are. Does Nobelec only interface with laptops, or are they compatible with any of the plotters out there?

If I go with a Raymarine, I then need a new plotter and antenna. gasp.

Lost in electronics.

Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 14:19   #32

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan N Crichton View Post
Any views on Sail Cruiser - a Navsim product which claims to be the only one that calculates each tack - distance and time using the wind , current inputs ? Cost CAD $399
We really liked the look and feel of Navsim after trying at the Seattle Boat Show and purchased a copy. We liked its functionality better than the others without the sailing add-ons, which were a bonus. I'll let you know how we like it as we play with it. Right now I'm getting all of the correct cables together to actually plug the PC into the GPS for the first time.

PS - It purportedly will work with all chart types. They claim that you get all future updates for FREE which was a big difference from other companies for us. With that being said, they are relatively new and could go out of business this year so who knows! They are adding weather overlay from grib files in the update coming out this year.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 07:56   #33

Boat: Grand Soleil 42R
I would say that it's SailCruiser Pro from NavSim. Intuitive, really fast and easy to use and runs on Vista and even upcoming Windows 7. Tried.
Old 21-07-2009, 08:41   #34

Boat: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
NAV-PAK PRO By GLOBENAV.....I ended up purchasing this little known charting program for less than $300 that has been very stable and does what the big $$ programs do, but without all that cost. I have a USB gps hooked into it (<$50) and will hook in my AIS this fall. I have seen the AIS in use on another unit and it works well. The program uses CMap and can also use ENC, Map Tech, BSB, Chart Kit, NOS etc.

Check it out at www.Globenav.com

Has all the hookups available like radar, video, autopilot, instruments etc. Only thing missing is GRIB files. I think the $1200 programs are a little cooler, a little fancier, but I liked the price and it does what I need. I'll spend the money saved on a nice Kyocera 135 solar panel and controller!
HorizonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 16:40   #35

Boat: Pearson 323
I tried to take Pblais's advice and down from the NOAA site but the down load was going to take 10hrs. My unlimited high speed internet with Verizon has been tapped and slowed down to about 28K modem. Verizon say's I exceeded the 5Gig monthly limit. I am photojournalist and 300 dpi images use it up fast. Everything in this world is a sales sham and cost a fortune. Well I ordered the charts for 17 dollars on ebay. I was going to keep the verizon wireless when cruising but for 69.00/month I think I will can it.
Rayallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 15:20   #36

I have quite complete list of PC navigation software with prices and links to producers homepages. Hope, it helps to choose...

Complete list of PC navigation software — almost complete « Sailing Gadgets
Old 30-07-2009, 15:27   #37

Boat: 1993 Gemini 3200 #374
Coastal Explorer by Rose Point, hands down. I run it on a Windows 98 notebook (primary), an XP notebook (wife's-backup) and a Vista notebook (mine-backup), and it runs fine on all. I use a hockey puck GPS or a Garmin GPS-72 (backup) plugged into the notebook. Works fine. There are so many good features about the program I don't know where to begin... Only thing it doesn't have is a "log" function, which became a fundamental nav tool for me in the 70's - back in the days of the trailing spinning mechanical Walker log (you've probably never seen one of these). The Garmin has a log function, so I'll use that as a companion while Rose Point ponders whether they want to implement a log (which I believe adds complications to the track function).
TikiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 21:38   #38

How does ETA works in Rosepoint Coastal. Does it calculate real tacking time, based on real wind direction or direct A-to-B time?

Jaak
Old 01-08-2009, 04:14   #39

Boat: 1993 Gemini 3200 #374
Coastal Explorer has two modes: Planning, and Cruise. In the Planning mode, you assign the speed for all legs that you want for the calculations. The assumption is that you make full progress on course at this speed, and that's what the planning ETA is based on. In Cruise mode, the program uses VMG to calculate ETA. It does not know if the variance (between VMG and planned speed) is due to tacking, current, or any other factor - it just knows that you are progressing toward destination at VMG. So the ETA constantly updates.
TikiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:11   #40

Thumbs down Re: Best Navigation Software

After purchasing and using Sailcruiser 3.1 it is disappointing to feed back that initially it looks like great software but there were bugs and no updates ! When connected to my Raymarine instruments system the wind reciprocated continuously. I exchanged the data files with Navsim and was promised updates will follow including GRIB file uploads etc but after almost a year it remains unusable. I now see that Sailcruiser is no longer listed on the Navsim website and after several emails and no response must assume the product was a waste of $400 !!! Anyway looks like Maxsea remains a solid dependable product well supported around the world.
Alan N Crichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:35   #41

Re: Best Navigation Software

Why revive a thread from four years ago on a technology issue?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 13:24   #42

Because people are still looking at getting navigation software
polak1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 14:13   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Why answer a two year old question about a thread that was previously dead for four years?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 14:25   #44

I am doing research on which software packages to have on board and am still looking at old threads. Cannot find much newer ones. I will be going through PNG sometime next year on a trip from Hong Kong to Australia, just want to get a navigation package that is up to date. We'll see in Navsim answers emails. Cheers
polak1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 11:24   #45

I found this one on Windows Store. Not sure if it has all that you are looking for.

Marine Navigation HD - USA - Lake Depth Maps - Offline Gps Nautical Charts for Fishing, Sailing, Boating, Yachting, Diving & Cruising app for Windows in the Windows Store

Tags
navigation