Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2016, 12:26   #31

Boat: Seidelman S-37
Re: Best handheld chartplotter as backup

I use the Garmin 76cx also' sits in ditch bag as a backup
I take to BVI when I charter and have my route already in it before we leave the dock
frankv1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:28   #32

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobopacket View Post
I use navonics on the smart phone. Works well as a backup and trip planner in the evening. Get a small car phone holder and wahla.
Ditto. +++++

It is comprehensive and has the advantage of being easily accessible to apps like a sailing log, cruising and pilot guides, anchor drift, wind and weather reports (when in mobile range while in port or coastal cruising), grib files, sailing tips on YouTube videos, favourite sail blogs, and books, or chat with fellow cruisers.
In addition there are free apps that allow you to link your phone directly to your nav system and it's multifunction display like Raymarine.

Navionics, for example, also allows you to download charts for those times you are out of mobile range, community edits with comments on POIs as well as crowd sourced updated charts called sonarcharts.

Some people may prefer a larger tablet screen but I have never had problems with a 6inch smartphone screen.

All this while cosy and warm snuggled up in your bunk. The one initial nuisance was the battery going flat until I had a power outlet installed near my bunk.
Old 04-12-2016, 15:10   #33

Boat: Adams 42

After having tried C Map, Endeavour, Maxsea, Navionics and a couple of other charting programs. I have settled on Open CPN with CM93 charts on a laptop and Isailor on a gps enabled tablet. The ISailor have excellent charts at acceptable costs and they remain after the subscription expires. The only interdependent item is the power supply. Anchor alert on the tablet is also bacon saving.
Cheers
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 15:23   #34

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livbysea View Post
hi hobopack,

thanks. how does that work when you are outside the US? do you need a sim card, accrue international charges, figure it's an emergency and the charges don't matter?

cheers,

livbysea
Livbysea, You download the region of the world you are interested in from the app store. Costs vary but around $20- $50 a region. The region's are quite large for example Asia covers all SE Asia over the Indian ocean to Africa. The Australia region includes most of the Pacific and east Asia. You do this through an internet connection either Wi-Fi or mobile phone SIM. The chart navigation only needs GPS to function but updates and supplementary info like tides and community edits need an occassional internet reconnection.
If you are in foreign waters then just use a Wi-Fi connection to the internet when you are ashore. WiFi is very widely available in marinas and resorts all around the world in all but the most remote places. You can use your home SIM on "roaming" but that can lead to outrageous charges. Depending on how long i am staying I usually buy a cheap local "tourist" SIM and thrown it away when I leave. I rarely phone anyone. If I need to actually speak to someone I use Skype or voice message whenever I have an wifi connection.
Old 04-12-2016, 16:21   #35

I have perhaps 8 gps devices on board. A back up would be the Garmin IQue3600 or my Galaxy7 w/ navionics.

All I really use a plotter for is to see the boat's position on a chart. the course and heading line.

I do enter a way point (one by one as needed) into the C80 which has cockpit repeaters providing me data.

The newest a B&G T7 is portable and is used in the cockpit... replacing the smaller Garmin IQue3600.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 17:34   #36

And then as a last resort you could learn coastal navigation.
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 18:53   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
And then as a last resort you could learn coastal navigation.
... and carry the appropriate paper charts and tools.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 20:22   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
... and carry the appropriate paper charts and tools.
+1 - yes

And paper charts do not need a backup when the battery fails.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 20:33   #39

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

The only reason I carry a back-up plotter is if I have to take to the dink. And my dink is too small for paper charts which would likely get a bit soggy.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 13:01   #40

Boat: Najad 460, 46 ft

thanks! my husband tried to download open cpn to his ipad - can apparently one cannot - we'll check SEAiq Open
livbysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 13:05   #41

goodness - there are seemingly endless iPhone options! thanks!!!
Old 05-12-2016, 13:30   #42

Boat: Tartan 37

The OP stated travel from Maine to Bahamas the small Garmin 78 comes with all the charts you need. I have one and rearly use it, the screen is so small, about useless. The best use is in the dinghy. I like a phone or tablet in a case, makes a very good backup option. All charts are available for free in US or $20 for the Bahamas. Active Captain is nice to have on the backup for planning. The app I use on phone and tablet is MXmariner and Anchor watch, nice program will send a text to you while away if boat moves.

Paper charts, thats funny. Took them off with the sexton 5 years ago. Truthfully I do have a few I kept.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 13:33   #43

I have my homework cut out for me! thanks!! my phone is tiny - about to replace it - thinking it might be worth checking into larger screen......
Old 05-12-2016, 13:36   #44

thanks - agreed - both my husband I have taken the coast guard aux nav course. invaluable!
Old 05-12-2016, 13:49   #45

Boat: Tartan 37

Funny how cheap GPSs are. The first single channel receiver made by Motorola we bought was $2,999 and took a couple hours to get a fix. That was when three grand was enough to live on for a year. So many options now.

On the phone get the biggest you can fit in your pocket or easily carry.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter