Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 11:28   #16

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Best GPS-Radar-Sonar overlay display

I have used both Garmin and Furuno plotters. I too feel the Garmin is more user friendly, and it is what I use on my commercial fishing vessel. The furuno plotter on the commercial vessel I ran, had many features including a radar overlay, which was not hooked up. It had a lot more steps for putting in a route or waypoint, or changing said routes or waypoints. I am on the verge of purchasing a new system for my commercial vessel, and I will be going with Furuno or Garmin. I have done quite a bit of research on the combined systems and my electronic tech. friends advise against them in case one part of the system fails, it doesn't knock out the other parts. So I'll be going with a stand alone radar, and depth finder and plotter. Furuno makes a killer fish finder, with a ceramic transducer; which isn't your target, but if they can see fish well, they can also detect bottom obstructions as well. I believe, I will stick with the garmin plotters, but I need to kick some more tires before breaking out the wallet.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:47   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I replaced all my electronics this year. I spent a lot more than $6000, but some of my experience might be relevant.

As to the choice of maker, I don't think you can go wrong, really. The progress in the last few years is really amazing everywhere. Some people complain that Furuno has fallen behind, but Furuno has its own approach, which is more conservative and more professional-use oriented, which some people prefer.

I have used Raymarine and Garmin in the past. Which is the most intuitive to operate is a matter of taste. I actually prefer Ray in that regard, and the new Ray systems are terrific, but Garmin also looks very good.

I chose B&G/Simrad for my own new system. For one thing, I wanted the 4G radar. But I was also strongly attracted to the sailing-specific Zeus plotters, and I have not been disappointed. They have a number of unique functions which are really very useful for sailing, and they are very strong in every respect. Besides that, they are very well made and sturdy. I am very pleased, and can recommend without hesitation that you have look.

Because of the greater degree of standardization which we get from NMEA2000, you can now choose whatever instrument displays you want -- they are almost completely interoperable. The B&G Triton displays, whatever other components you choose, are the best thing on the market, especially for sailors, as they have a killer wind display which shows true and apparent wind speed and direction in both analogue and digital form -- on one screen, and completely readable (however, numbers a little small for a big boat). Sound incredible? Best thing since sliced bread.

If you want good radar overlay (not to mention usable MARPA, and pilot performance), you need good heading data. Don't skimp on the heading sensor. I'm using an Airmar H2183, three-axis gyro compensated. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Have fun -- you will be spoiled by choice. To make it even better, prices have fallen drastically compared to a few years ago. An 8" Zeus costs about $2000, although it has higher resolution than the 10" Raymarine RL80CRC+ which it replaced. Which cost about $7000, IIRC. The 7" plotters from all makers are below $1000, which is ridiculous -- dumping. They must be losing money on every one.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 13:14   #18

Boat: custom

Raymarine CP100 is the best sonar.

Photo like picture.

CP100 Sonar with CHIRP DownVision

some forward looking sonars do not have much of a distance of forward scan. at 30 knts you'll only have 4 seconds before you hit something with a 200mtr scan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Submarine_Split.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	68074  
paulme33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle