Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2020, 07:39   #1

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I
Best Edition of Bowditch

If you were going have a hard copy of Bowditch onboard, which edition is the most complete and timeless? Which is the absolute go-to edition?

Over the years, I have accumulated multiple editions over the years and might need to thin the herd. The one I have actually read the most of is my 1988 2 volume edition. It is also the one I have the longest and the one I would definitely keep if sentimentality were the only criteria.
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 22:10   #2

Re: Best Edition of Bowditch

No replies? Huh.

When you ask which is the "best" edition, I suppose it depends on what you are looking for. Older editions have more on things like celestial. Newer editions have more on things like RADAR and GPS.

FYI: You can check out numerous editions of Bowditch for free over at NavList. That may help you decide which is the "best" edition for you. The problem may be finding a hard copy of [both volumes of] the one you want.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 22:41   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

One of the ‘50s or ‘60s editions has a see thru star charts. That was neat but something you can find elsewhere.

The 1984 edition I got first has 2 volumes so maximum info for a recent edition.

Newer editions are more up to date but did away with a lot of tables.

All depends on what you use for it is.

If I were going to go to see I’d carry my 1984 edition since I have it and load the PDFs for 2002 & the most recent edition which can be downloaded free.

I would also carry The Mariners Handbook (Admiralty Nautical Publications NP-100) which you can pick up for about $40 used including shipping.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 05:50   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I like the two-volume 80's edition for the multitude of useful tables. Just skip over the Loran, Satnav and RDF sections.
Right now I'm reading the 1930s edition, which pre-dates Radar, so lots of good piloting there. Haven't got to the celestial section yet to check out how it compares to later ones, but loving it so far.
Old 21-06-2020, 05:58   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The later editions deal with more current navigation (celestial and loran down, GPS up), so are you a modernist or classicist? As Sean Patrick notes, multiple versions can be downloaded of the internet, so I have one two-volume 1980s hard copy that keeps me oriented to the old stuff, and another more recent copy on this computer in PDF.