Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 16:41   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Best Article Comparing Electronic Charting Programs ...

At least for Florida, Navionics just doesn't seem to have near the detail the Garmin app does
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 17:19   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I assume if you are upgrading your ECS equipment in 2014 you would favor the one that supports the best chart coverage for your region.

Who has the Best chart coverage value for the West Pacific and Asia?

Is there a way you can actually preview all the charts in a region portfolio before buying ?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 17:56   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
You are right, Navionics used to be considered pretty horrible in the Bahamas. However, In recent years they have put a huge effort into improving the charts in the Bahamas. Between the navionics staff that have worked on the bahamas charting and the crowd sourcing through sonar logs being submitted by boaters, the Navionics charts have improved significantly and now offer the most up to date and accurate information.

You cannot determine the accuracy without actually sailing the area. Once you sail the Bahamas with a Navionics chart you should readily come to the same conclusion that I have.

If you have questions let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
This is utter crap to put it politely. I have used Navionics in the Bahamas every winter since 2004. ( I had to as the boat came with a Raymarine plotter). The 2004 chip was better than the latest chip as it had Explorer Charts data on it, which they had to remove as it was not licensed. My new (2014) Navionics chip of the Bahamas ( new plotter taking MicroSD instead of the old CF chip) is much worse than the old 2004 chip!! Can you explain that? Just talk to a few Bahamas cruisers and you will get the real story, not PR baloney. And I come to this conclusion from cruising the Bahamas, not sitting at the dock in the US viewing the Bahamas on the plotter.

So in the span of ten years their product has got worse!! So much for their huge effort in improving their Bahamas charts. Why don't they just shell out a bit of money and license Explorer Charts data.
Old 04-12-2014, 18:07   #19

Boat: Outremer 50S

It's interesting in all of these discussions that I never see the Transas products mentioned. Transas (and Furuno?) is the only (as far as I know) iPad/iPhone navigation program provider that also produces fully qualified ECDIS systems in the commercial marine space. Their user interface on the iDevice is somewhat limited, but the tradeoff is that they use their TX97 charts, which are corrected to LNM level. I regularly get chart update notifications and when I check them against LNM they appear to be pretty complete. I don't mind piggy-backing on the big boys in this regard and getting the benefit of a company that has to maintain chart files to IMO standards. Not going to get Explorer charts, or overlay Google Earth, or use in OpenCPN, but having fully up-to-date electronic charts in one format is nice to have.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 18:29   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Dsanduril.. That is exactly what I am trying to understand. It is the quality of the charts that matter.

When buying paper charts I could pull out all the ones from the Index and look at the details and limits before deciding to buy.

I never bought region Portfolios but specific ones for my intended passage and emergency detours... But the key for me was to study the details of remote Anchorage's before buying.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 19:06   #21

Boat: Outremer 50S

Unfortunately, while I feel comfortable with the Transas product in that regard, their recreational products carry the same old "not to be used for navigation" and "not an official chart" and "carry real paper charts" warnings as every other recreational product. That being said, they push me updates about once a quarter, the update date is in the chart header, and except for short-term changes they seem to catch most of the NM items. I can only assume that since they have a real chart updating service for their ECDIS systems and IMO certifications that we get a little bit of a ride on its coattails. Transas never actually puts that in writing, however, so it is only a (wishful?) assumption on my part. Either way, I have found that I like the chart product (enough that I am willing to accept the limitations of the software in other regards).

Since I'm in the US at the moment it was worth my money to spend $6 for the region, I'd have to give it a much more formal evaluation if I was forking out money for a costly region.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 19:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Garmin Blue Chart is compatible with Active Captain. From there your can get bridge clearance and other local information better any big house chartplotter charts.

One thing I don't know why Garmin removed magnetic heading from their App. The latest version only shows true north heading.
Thanks for the tip, rockDAWG. Active Captain does provide the lacking info. But come on Garmin, why leave this critical info out.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 13:19   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I am looking for the best app for extended passagemaking -- preferably something that will accept raster and digital charts, has weather-routing feature(s), can calculate Great Circle routes, etc.

If possible, I'd like one piece of software that could handle it all. I'm thinking OpenCPN, but to be honest, my understanding of the software is limited and there isn't a very good description of its features on the download site. I realize that it's free and I can just download it (already have) but without some sort of documentation, I might not understand what it can really do.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 13:29   #24

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
... I'm thinking OpenCPN, but to be honest, my understanding of the software is limited and there isn't a very good description of its features on the download site. I realize that it's free and I can just download it (already have) but without some sort of documentation, I might not understand what it can really do.
OpenCPN User Manual | Official OpenCPN Homepage
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 13:33   #25

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

OCPN is not limited in any capacity that I need - and it has many features not found in any paid applications. Try making a google earth overlay with Maxsea or Nobeltec.

There is extensive documentation for OCPN, as well as several tutorial videos. If you click on the help menu in the application, it takes you to the user manual.

Coastal Explorer is a good application on the paid side of things.

On the tablet side of apps, I'm finding SeaIQ is whomping all the other ones for my use and needs.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 16:01   #26
cruiser

[QUOTE=colemjOn the tablet side of apps, I'm finding SeaIQ is whomping all the other ones for my use and needs.[/QUOTE]

SeaIQ would be my choice, except for one item: Canadian charts are limited to Navionics, and if the only choice is Navionics, I'm not going.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 16:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
SeaIQ would be my choice, except for one item: Canadian charts are limited to Navionics, and if the only choice is Navionics, I'm not going.
Is this correct? The CA charts I see are in BSB format - doesn't SeaIQ use these? If not, contact the developer and ask about it. I have communicated with him a few times and he seems very interested in feedback and improving his product.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 02-02-2015, 19:33   #28
cruiser

If there's a way other than Navionics to get BSB charts into SeaIQ, I'd love to hear about it.

Here in Seattle, Captain's Nautical couldn't get it done.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:44   #29

I don't understand the Navionics bit. Navionics is a chart company that also sells some applications. Why is it involved with the Canadian Hydrographic Services?

From everything I can tell, you can purchase Canadian raster charts in BSB format, and vector charts in S57 format, on a CD.

Both of these formats should be useable in SeaIQ.

Mark

Old 03-02-2015, 07:54   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
OCPN is not limited in any capacity that I need - and it has many features not found in any paid applications. Try making a google earth overlay with Maxsea or Nobeltec.

There is extensive documentation for OCPN, as well as several tutorial videos. If you click on the help menu in the application, it takes you to the user manual.

Coastal Explorer is a good application on the paid side of things.

On the tablet side of apps, I'm finding SeaIQ is whomping all the other ones for my use and needs.

Mark
SeaIQ, unfortunately, is IPad only, which rules it out for me.

OpenCPN is splendid -- probably all you need. It does absolutely everything -- it's just a wonderful program. It's a little clunky for the non-computer inclined, which might be its only disadvantage. It does require a little bit of study, but this is rewarding.

OpenCPN is also platform - limited. I use it on my main ship's computer, but I wish there were a native Android port so I could use it on a tablet, on the same tablet I plan to use the GoFree app on. I am considering doing the tablet rooting routine to see how it works like that.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote