Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2022, 06:25   #1

Boat: Trimarans!
Best app for free anchorages

This has probably been discussed multiple times. I’ve tried searching but then my ADD kicked in. What are the good apps for finding peoples’ remarks on free and good anchorages, specifically in New England. Not looking for input from app developers. Ideally, from users.
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 06:30   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Best app for free anchorages

I like the comments included in the Navionics app. There are more older notes than newer ones, but especially for anchoring, not much changes.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 06:40   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Any chart app that utilizes active captain. We use aquamaps. It shows user reviews
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 07:49   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

You can use Active Captain.
Old 15-05-2022, 08:21   #5

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Navily. Works well for France and surrounding Europe.
I am aware you look primarily for New England, added it though because folks from over here also look at this thread.
Old 15-05-2022, 20:11   #6

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You can use Active Captain.
Active captain is still alive but does not seem to be very well since Garmin bought it and screwed it up. I’ve noticed now that most active captain comments even on Aquamap are fairly dated.
Waterway Guide also lists anchorages on Aquamap and it seems like more people are using it now.
I generally just look at the chart and pick my own anchorage. I learned a long time ago that there is usually very little advantage in following the crowd.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 15-05-2022, 22:38   #7

Boat: Tayana 42, sloop, 42

Can one use Aquamap with a GPS or is it just a reference map?
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 04:11   #8

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
Can one use Aquamap with a GPS or is it just a reference map?
Aquamap is a full featured navigation tool. It now even shows wind, current and waves.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 16-05-2022, 04:58   #9
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbm View Post
This has probably been discussed multiple times. I’ve tried searching but then my ADD kicked in. What are the good apps for finding peoples’ remarks on free and good anchorages, specifically in New England. Not looking for input from app developers. Ideally, from users.
Active Captain still works. I think Garman devices can get it downloaded or you can open an account and get on you laptop. But I get mine on my AquaMap app that I have felt has greatly has been worth having.
Old 16-05-2022, 05:05   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Those of us within the United States should remain aware that the navigation throughout the waterways is free to the public and anchoring is a function of navigating. Certainly there are safer and more protected anchorages, but "free" should not be referred to as an exception.

The exceptions for anchoring are within marked channels and restricted areas that are marked on charts near military areas; cable crossings; adjacent to bridges and port facilities, etc.

There are designated areas for anchoring marked on charts that often do not require an anchor light within their boundary, but this does not eliminate the choice to anchor outside these areas with the proper lighting and outside channels.

There has been an increase in city ordinances that overstep the federal laws giving public rights to navigation and many of these have been well accepted and are difficult to ignore.

All this considered, I think that it's best for us to keep the awareness that "free" is the norm and "restricted" is the exception to navigation.
Old 16-05-2022, 17:40   #11

Boat: Trimarans!

Yes, good point and actually a real issue as local governments install mooring buoys in the formerly good (=shallow) anchoring spots. For example I don’t think you can anchor near Catalina Island in Cali at all anymore.
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 17:45   #12

I'd second the vote for looking through the Navionics app's user comments. Lots of good advice about anchorages in there.
Tzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 05:58   #13

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Those of us within the United States should remain aware that the navigation throughout the waterways is free to the public and anchoring is a function of navigating. Certainly there are safer and more protected anchorages, but "free" should not be referred to as an exception.

The exceptions for anchoring are within marked channels and restricted areas that are marked on charts near military areas; cable crossings; adjacent to bridges and port facilities, etc.

There are designated areas for anchoring marked on charts that often do not require an anchor light within their boundary, but this does not eliminate the choice to anchor outside these areas with the proper lighting and outside channels.

There has been an increase in city ordinances that overstep the federal laws giving public rights to navigation and many of these have been well accepted and are difficult to ignore.

All this considered, I think that it's best for us to keep the awareness that "free" is the norm and "restricted" is the exception to navigation.
My apologies for leaving the long quote, but:

What he said, with vehemence. NB applies to the US; other countries' laws may vary.

Absent something along the lines of some of the national parks in the Bahamas, which MAY require payment for anchoring, there shouldn't be any in the US of A; various restrictions on navigation rights are a frequent battle in FL in particular but in other places on both US coasts.

Previous scofflaws have taken the issue to court in some cases, and won, but volunteers are hard to find, and rulings of their right to anchor don't prevent local gendarmes from issuing citations...

Stay vigilant and don't be bullied...

/rant
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages