Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 08:24   #16

Re: Before GPS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I still have a working 1993 Trimble alpha-numeric GPS. Looks a bit like a Star Trek "phaser" and was apparently all the rage for Cessna pilots then.

It takes a pretty long time to acquire satellites, but it still works.
Wow, right on! Just what I was hoping for. I tried the Trimble site but apparently they have lost interest in their old stuff. There are a bunch of Star Trek phaser images on the net, some look like pistols. Could you describe the content of the alpha-numeric readouts? What display technology did it use (LEDs, something else)?. Anything you can provide that would help me tie down the visual appearance would very helpful.
VeryOldBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 09:02   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryOldBill View Post
Wow, right on! Just what I was hoping for. I tried the Trimble site but apparently they have lost interest in their old stuff. There are a bunch of Star Trek phaser images on the net, some look like pistols. Could you describe the content of the alpha-numeric readouts? What display technology did it use (LEDs, something else)?. Anything you can provide that would help me tie down the visual appearance would very helpful.
This site shows some of the original Trimble models.
http://www.prc68.com/I/Trimpack.shtml#SV6

My first GPS looked like this back in 1994.

The StarTrek phasor looking GPS might be the Scoutmaster Model 17319-10. That was the second one I had. It is shown on right.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 07:30   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryOldBill View Post
This is a Trimble Scout. It is very close to what I have:

The external antenna looks like this:

The whole unit is very well made. I can believe it would work for years in a vibrating 4 x 4 or in a small plane.

Thanks to my black belt in Google-**, I have found the precise obsessive/OCD hobbyist website to give you exhaustive detail on all aspects of antique Trimble GPS sets.

Trimble Trimpack Transpack Transpac Transpak GPS receivers

And here's a PDF of the operating manual:

http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsw...08/22370-C.pdf

I would have to be at my boat to confirm it's a "Scout" model, but I do recall that the start up screen (so to speak) says (c) 1993 and it looks very, very much like the above picture.

I keep 4 AAs in it as a backup, backup handheld. It's accurate enough, but it takes time to find satellites. Would've seen like voodoo to someone using CN and Loran in the early '90s, however.

(I'll have a Dark 'n' Stormy when we meet, thanks!)

EDIT: Crap! Scooped by David! Oh, well...
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 07:42   #19

When I bought my Bristol last year, it came with a Loran C unit, and a Trimble Transpak II GPS (complete with external antenna, manual, and cool optional battery compartment).

Sold the Trimble on Ebay for $100. Guess it has some collectors value.

Couldn't get a cent for the Loran C.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 08:39   #20

Boat: Allures 44

In 1994 we got our Garmin 45 handheld and mounted it on the steering pedestal with a homemade bracket. Before then we used Loran, mounted at the Nav station and interfaced with the radar. Loran receivers were widely available and affordable for small boats by the early 1980s (at the latest).
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 10:07   #21

Folks, I am overwhelmed by your gracious good help. I did not manage to squeeze much out of Google (I guess I am just a shodan) but I do know (now) what a "Dark 'n' Stormy" is. Glad to treat you one and all. Thanks, much.
/s/ Bill
VeryOldBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps