Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 19:44   #1

Beaten up ... need advice for sailing Florida panhandle

Hello all:
it is mid-winter and the Gulf has been nasty for weeks. We have been going in the Intracoastal Waterway from Houston to here (Pensacola). Due to bridges we now have to go outside. Our first attempt (to sail from Pensacola to Port St. Joe) was a total disaster and suffered in terrible conditions overnight before turning back. The weather predictions (on many sites) were for 10-15 knots of wind (from SE then clocking to S) of wind and 1-3 foot waves. However it was blowing over 20 from the East and the seas were more like 6-9+ with very short period.

So, here is the question: Does anyone know the best wind direction and wave conditions to sail eastward from Pensacola? Seems like a North wind would be better for waves but this time of year the Norths produce cold, strong wind with Small Craft Advisories.

Thanks in advance.
edhuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 20:49   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Beaten up ... need advice for sailing Florida panhandle

Hi, Ed,

If you tell us about your boat, we will be able to give you better advice. There are some guys with a lot of experience in Florida, and I'm sure they'll chime in and help.

Ann

PS. Sorry you got beat up, happens to all of us some time or other. Hope nothing serious broke.
Old 02-02-2018, 20:54   #3

forgot to mention ... we are sailing a Niagara 35 sloop 14000# displacement.
edhuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 21:09   #4

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Beaten up ... need advice for sailing Florida panhandle

Get Sailflow software and use a norther with north winds to sail east from there. This time of year will be cool to cold. Go in at Destin - 8 hours from Pensacola, but you will have to stay outside the bridge. Try Boshamps restaurant for transient dock. They have power and water, great restaurant. Then go to Panama City Baypoint Marina - 8 hours. From there go direct to Clearwater Pass. Use Tampa Buoy 42036 forecast less than 10 knots, less than 2 feet waves and with a norther - 36 hours. That will get you out of cold to moderate but you have to get way south to stay warm this time of year. We have Hunter 356 with full enclosure and run generator full time with HVAC, so below decks is always warm. We made the northern part in late October and was ok. Crossed from PC to Clearwater early December, then to Punt Gorda for winter. Returned in early March and cooler but with our setup very comfortable. A friend did same trip late December and nearly froze with no enclosure and no generator, so how you are setup makes huge difference in comfort. I,ve sailed Punta Gorda to Key West various times in different boats (not mine) and been cold from November through February without enclosure and generator for heat.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:27   #5

Just came up to Punta Gorda from Key West last week in that nasty northern blow. Confused seas coming from two directions breaking over the dodger a few times and cold. But not freezing, just cold. Good foulies and clothing, you'll be fine. DO watch for helpful wind, we had no choice as it was a delivery....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:13   #6

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

ed, for your needs the northers will be your friend. Wait for one to pass through, after the unsettled weather passes there will usually be a couple days or more of steady wind from the NW to NE, likely around 15 knots. Probably sunny too.

Actually more predictable to plan a crossing this time of year compared to the summer months.

Waiting for an offshore wind that lasts all night is standard procedure for me. And never managed to have seas over a meter so far after several crossings.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:53   #7

Boat: Island Packet 32

I've had good luck trusting Chris Parker to tell me when to go.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:10   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
ed, for your needs the northers will be your friend. Wait for one to pass through, after the unsettled weather passes there will usually be a couple days or more of steady wind from the NW to NE, likely around 15 knots. Probably sunny too.

Actually more predictable to plan a crossing this time of year compared to the summer months.

Waiting for an offshore wind that lasts all night is standard procedure for me. And never managed to have seas over a meter so far after several crossings.

Our home Port was Panama City for three years.
This is the simplest answer, Clark was correct and said the same or similar thing in more detail.
I’d skip Destin myself and stop in PC, reasoning is your more protected.

This Winter is unusual, it’s actually Winter, last year we didn’t have a Winter. Your just going to have to gut out the cold, or accept a South warm wind, and the waves that come with it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:11   #9

I find that VHF weather reports somewhat need you to tune in and listen a lot to understand what they really mean. For instance, here in Puget Sound, when the prediction is 5-15 winds, you usually experience no wind and likely as not are motoring. When the prediction is 10-20, you get nailed with lots of wind and may be reefed. Just saying there's a big difference in reality, as opposed to the prediction.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:39   #10

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Bundle up and keep the microwave going. We used it to heat water bottles that my wife passed up to me in the cockpit. I'd stuff 2-3 of them inside my jacket, and the warmth made all the difference. When they start to cool off, swap them out with new ones. I can stand all kinds of cold in the face as long as my hands and core stay warm.

We had frost on the deck in Tampa Bay, it was so cold.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:05   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop

Hi There - Check out HaveWindWillTravel - Philip and Annie - they own a Niagra 35 they sail out of Pensacola - they're in the Bahama's and Key's at this time but they have lots of great details about their trips down and back

havewindwilltravel.com is their web page and FB user id
Jhowell5558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 13:01   #12

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Hi Ed,
If the Admiral is with you, find a Marina with good clean bathrooms, find a nice restaurant and site tight for a week. THEN...wait until you have a forecast of nice weather for a period of twice the time of your next hop and do short quick hops.....if weather is at all dubious, just relax and have another nice meal.
Sailing is supposed to be fun......and your next harbour will be there next week, and next month.

Bill.....who learned this from close friends who circumnavigated the Caribbean in a 30 foot boat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhuckle View Post
Hello all:
it is mid-winter and the Gulf has been nasty for weeks. We have been going in the Intracoastal Waterway from Houston to here (Pensacola). Due to bridges we now have to go outside. Our first attempt (to sail from Pensacola to Port St. Joe) was a total disaster and suffered in terrible conditions overnight before turning back. The weather predictions (on many sites) were for 10-15 knots of wind (from SE then clocking to S) of wind and 1-3 foot waves. However it was blowing over 20 from the East and the seas were more like 6-9+ with very short period.

So, here is the question: Does anyone know the best wind direction and wave conditions to sail eastward from Pensacola? Seems like a North wind would be better for waves but this time of year the Norths produce cold, strong wind with Small Craft Advisories.

Thanks in advance.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 13:15   #13

Boat: Pearson

The fl panhandle has its challanges, esp. this year with very low tides and the shoals in some areas.I would strongly advise the intercoastal, depending on your draft and mast heigth. The icw isent marked all the way and staying dead center is required. Large barges nagivate a lot at night and take up a lot of the channel, avoid traveling at night. There arent a lot of areas to anchor in the icw, but being careful you can find areas outside the channel. Ft. walton, panama city and applachola and carraballe are a few places you may find a place to dock. Weather reports arent always accurate. Most north winds end up being due east, south, or sw winds are only good for part of the day, a day at best.Leaving applachola bay you ll nead to go outside but can skirt inside st georges sound. Water depth has been very low, a draft over 5’ could be worrisome, there are shoals 3-6 miles off shore that can be 3-5’ this time of year. If you are headed for cedar key be verymindful of water depth around steinhatchie, swannee river.
Old 03-02-2018, 13:31   #14

Boat: Leopard 39

The Gulf isn't pleasant in the winter, thanks to shallow waters, big fetches, lashing winds and nasty, confused seas. We should expect worse from the Gulf than we do, and better prepare for it.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 13:45   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Best to not go through the big bend area.
I grew up there, and as a kid I ran a 23’ fishing boat aground, on plane, out of sight of land, maybe a foot and a half of water?

Shortest very safe hop is from Dog Island to Tarpon Springs, day and a half from memory, wait until it’s calm enough that you have to motor it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, sail, sailing