Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2021, 08:32   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Bail outs beteeen San Juan Straits and San Francisco

It’s the Straits of Juan de Fuca.

The San Juan islands are at the NE end of the straits.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 15:22   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If, as I expect, you leave AK a bit late,* you may want to beat feet for Mexico, where it will be warmer and more pleasant than wintering over in WA. It is about avoiding winter storms, and even San Diego is a lot warmer than anywhere between WA and San Francisco, including SF.

*I mention this because Jim and i have difficulty leaving places we are enjoying, twice having made the HI to CA fun a month later than best done. By October, the NW gales were already coming through. And, it's a furr piece from Anchorage to WA.

Ann
Old 19-08-2021, 16:22   #18

Boat: Outbound 44

I've done the trip from the Straits of Juan de Fuca to San Fran 4 times. The worst trip was the one we took the prevailing advice and headed way offshore passing Cape Mendicino 60 miles offshore.
My advice is to work your way out the Straits, trying to take the positive current in the narrow places and the negative current latter. Anchor for the night and refuel if needed in Neah Bay. Head out with a good 2 to 3 day NW winds forecast. After clearing the Umitilla Reef point directly for the sea buoy at Cape Mendicino. Get your good 2 to 3 days of sailing in and then decide based on the winds, seas and desire to sightsee if you want to make a stop on the way down, take a closer in or out course etc.

It is pretty common to get slapped at one of the southern Oregon or N California capes with unforecast high NW winds and large seas. The inner valleys in California heat up in the day and suck the winds past the capes where they get compressed. High 30kts low 40s. On the other hand you are just as likely to round a Cape Mendicino in fog and dead flat.

Tags
san francisco, san juan