Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 16:55   #16

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Bahamas for only 30 days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigdaddy View Post
Good to know about the ability to re-set the clock by exiting and re-entering after 30 days. My Foremost coverage is less expensive than any other carriers that I checked with, but it has that 30 day limit for the Bahamas also. I am going there this spring and was concerned as to whether 30 days was enough time.
Yeah, while that the rule may be that the clock can be reset by exiting Bahamian waters, it really is not so feasible - unless you are at Bimini, maybe! We were headed over to Chub, then Nassau, and into the Exumas. When the 30 days were over, we were in Exumas. It's not an easy task to exit Bahamian waters from there - either sail East beyond Cat Island and whatever the Bahamian waters limits are, or the other way across Andros heading to Cuba. There are some days you don't want to head out into the Atlantic, especially just for the purpose of an insurance reset. So what we did instead, was just swap out carriers. And again, next time what I would do is just keep the Foremost policy in force, and sign up for BoatUS for a month. That's about $300.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 18:02   #17

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkpilot View Post
I'll probably step on some toes with this little rant, but insurance is, in my opinion, gambling. It is a protection racket, straight out of the Mafia's playbook. It is mostly an unnecessary expense we burden ourselves with. Unless required by law or some contract I've foolishly entered into, I never buy it. Many times what you've paid for, you don't get when it comes time to make a claim (insurance adjusters see to that). I saved up to buy my boat. If I break it, I can save up and buy another. Gambling has never interested me. I don't like paying for intangibles (give me X amount of dollars and I'll pay you Y amount of dollars if such and such happens. Yeah, right - don't hold your breath!) Maybe I'm just an old fool, but so far I've made it 76 years living by the above. Okay. I'm done.
No, I hear ya varkpilot. I feel the same way about insurance in a lot of ways. Coincidentally, I do happen to have the advantage money-wise as I received a payout for a claim last summer. Not only did they pay, but they took care of everything with absolutely zero headaches. I was very impressed with Foremost through the whole ordeal. So, as it were, I'm currently happy to have been insured.
But in any other situation, I'd be comfortable not carrying comprehensive insurance on just about anything I own. I don't like owning things that are so "valuable" that I can't just walk away from it if I had to.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 18:33   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkpilot View Post
I'll probably step on some toes with this little rant, but insurance is, in my opinion, gambling. It is a protection racket, straight out of the Mafia's playbook. It is mostly an unnecessary expense we burden ourselves with. Unless required by law or some contract I've foolishly entered into, I never buy it. Many times what you've paid for, you don't get when it comes time to make a claim (insurance adjusters see to that). I saved up to buy my boat. If I break it, I can save up and buy another. Gambling has never interested me. I don't like paying for intangibles (give me X amount of dollars and I'll pay you Y amount of dollars if such and such happens. Yeah, right - don't hold your breath!) Maybe I'm just an old fool, but so far I've made it 76 years living by the above. Okay. I'm done.

What if you somehow break someone else's boat? If you have the means to pay for damage done to another boat out of pocket I say good on ya. If not, at least invest in some inexpensive liability insurance.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 04:16   #19
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

in my opinion how they know when the 30 days started???
doug45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 04:33   #20
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug45 View Post

A call to the Bahamian Customs and Immigration should give them a date of clearing into the Bahamas.
Old 30-01-2017, 04:56   #21

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug45 View Post
If you don't have a claim you can stay as long as you like with no effect on your insurance, I'd bet
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 05:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
A call to the Bahamian Customs and Immigration should give them a date of clearing into the Bahamas.
How would Bahamian Customs and Immigration even know you actually left, or not (or even care) if you pulled into port with a yellow flag up after 30 days and said, Hey, we're back!" And, got a new visa and entry stamps.

If that makes you feel bad, then just go twelve miles offshore and back and then do it.
Old 30-01-2017, 06:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
How would Bahamian Customs and Immigration even know you actually left, or not (or even care) if you pulled into port with a yellow flag up after 30 days and said, Hey, we're back!" And, got a new visa and entry stamps.

If that makes you feel bad, then just go twelve miles offshore and back and then do it.
BCI would probably want to charge you for new entry. Aren't you supposed to surrender your papers when you leave (or mail them in, if that is not feasible).
Old 30-01-2017, 06:27   #24

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
BCI would probably want to charge you for new entry. Aren't you supposed to surrender your papers when you leave (or mail them in, if that is not feasible).
None of the above. Free movement between islands, free departure (nobody cares). Just be sure you have a valid cruising permit (boat's good for a year) and visa (max 8 months, in 30-day counts, continuous).

Boat can be renewed twice; after 3 continuous years they want you to import it; any re-entry starts the visa clock over so you could fly home for a visit and return, starting over on the visa, while your boat remained, not incurring another entry/cruising permit charge, per year...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 08:10   #25
smj

Quote:

Sounds easier to me to get the correct insurance rather than find a complicated way around the problem.
Old 30-01-2017, 08:43   #26

Quote:
Sounds easier to me to get the correct insurance rather than find a complicated way around the problem.
Yeah, that is what I did. Its not feasible to sail out of country and back when you are in Exumas. From Bimini - yes. But who spends 30 days in Bimini. A couple of days is enough!

I guess if you spent 30 days in Abacos, and then wanted to leave country to reset the insurance clock, then that wouldn't be as hard to do. I'd take a picture of my GPS track though and email it to insurance agent to let them know I exited and reentered the country, and that reset the 30 day insurance coverage. Just better get that country boundary right!
Old 30-01-2017, 12:48   #27

Quote:
Well, I think we all knew actually procurring a policy with longer than 30 day Bahamas coverage was a fix to the problem. I thought we were free thinking other options.
Old 30-01-2017, 12:52   #28
smj

Quote:

Well, I think we all knew actually procurring a policy with longer than 30 day Bahamas coverage was a fix to the problem. I thought we were free thinking other options.

Your absolutely right. More than one way to skin a cat!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-01-2017, 13:00   #29

Boat: Krogen 42

Regarding out and back in to reset the clock. I wouldn't trust an email from the agent. You need it from the insurance company.
Old 30-01-2017, 18:34   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
Regarding out and back in to reset the clock. I wouldn't trust an email from the agent. You need it from the insurance company.
Good point. But it was from a Farmers agent and said "we contacted the underwriter, ....".

I think that's pretty solid.

Tags
Bahamas