I put all B&G/Simrad on my boat
over the past few years. There were some teething pains, given that Navco was introducing new products across their subsidiary brands that were essentially variations on the same hardware
with differences in software
, but all have been sorted out.
Generally happy. Wind
anemometer occasionally takes a dump now after its first hard squall. May have to replace it.
The UI is straightforward and easy to navigate. Displays are nice. Night mode charts
are not all that readable in my opinion.
The big plus is that the "sail to wind" and tacking functions in Sail steer are fabulous. I have a wind vane
but when I'm hard on the wind I punch in an apparent wind angle and the AP does a laudable job of helming. Exemely happy with it.
As a single
hander on a cutter
rig, the auto-tack feature is brilliant. You can set the number of seconds for the AP to complete the tack. I hit "tack" and set about bringing the jib
across, then the stay sail, then bringing the traveller up and can completely ignore the helm
. Just a great feature. Not sure if it's available on other brands, but the B&G
implementation is impressive.
I've only called support once and the technician was knowledgeable and immediately helpful. MARPA was not working and the tech quickly figured out the problem. The radar
interface box connects to the NMEA2000 backbone with a Simnet cable with it's proprietary plug
at the box end. I put my own NMEA2000 field plug
on a Simnet cable, and evidently the pinout is not the same as the standard. I was impressed that the tech figured it out within a matter of minutes just through a few questions.
On the flip side, I had a problem with the AP computer (which in fact turned out to be a faulty brand new breaker at the panel) as I was coming down the east coast
of the US. Assuming I needed to exchange the brand new computer for a replacement under warranty I was startled to learn I would have to send it to California
, from where it would be shipped to Mexico
, then back to California
, and then to me, with a minimum turnaround time of approx three weeks. Ridiculous.