Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 07:11   #16

Boat: beneteau OC 352
Re: B&G MFD/ THOROUGLY UNSCIENTIFIC POLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Now why in the world would you say that? Is there some function your RM autopilot has that Simrad doesn't? If so I would like to know about it.

the RM 70 wheel pilot auto costs 1600 and the simrad AP 24 lin costs about 3k
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:17   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
B&G MFD/ THOROUGLY UNSCIENTIFIC POLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by knot smart View Post
the RM 70 wheel pilot auto costs 1600 and the simrad AP 24 lin costs about 3k
But why trash your fine type 2 linear drive to go to a wheel pilot , which are pieces of junk

And yes the i70+ and t41 are very similar, choose the system on the merits of other major components like MFDs autopilots , & radars not instruments. ( which is like buying a car , cause you like the indicator stalk )

Dave
Old 12-01-2014, 07:21   #18

Boat: Corbin 39
This is off topic a bit but I have the hardware installed from an old autohelm6000 and have recently been sold on the Simrad AP24 but I would love to keep my old hardware since it's installed and is still good. Anyone know if the two systems are compatible from their experience?
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:26   #19
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortezsailor View Post
This is off topic a bit but I have the hardware installed from an old autohelm6000 and have recently been sold on the Simrad AP24 but I would love to keep my old hardware since it's installed and is still good. Anyone know if the two systems are compatible from their experience?
Yes in general , depending on the drive system either Simrad AP computer may drive it. What Simrad AC ( 12 or 42) did you buy with AP 24. ( the head is no use on its own and can't interface to the Authohelm 6000 autopilot computer )

Dave
Old 12-01-2014, 07:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes in general , depending on the drive system either Simrad AP computer may drive it. What Simrad AC ( 12 or 42) did you buy with AP 24. ( the head is no use on its own and can't interface to the Authohelm 6000 autopilot computer ) Dave
I haven't purchased yet I was just looking into it yesterday but will purchase in Feb. should I be looking for one over the other?
Old 12-01-2014, 07:45   #21
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I haven't purchased yet I was just looking into it yesterday but will purchase in Feb. should I be looking for one over the other?
It's a function of drive current , what type of linear drive do you have or alternatively what's the boat it's going into .

Dave
Old 12-01-2014, 07:53   #22

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Quote:
But why trash your fine type 2 linear drive to go to a wheel pilot , which are pieces of junk

Dave

hey dave, define junk.. I currently have about a 5k budget, that needs to get the whole package, out the door. MFD, radar, autopilot and transducers.. ill do the install myself. by my estimation a linear drive would break the budget.. your comment makes wonder if I need to save more and get the linear.. does the hydro pump work that much better than the electric motor??
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:54   #23

Quote:
It's a function of drive current , what type of linear drive do you have or alternatively what's the boat it's going into . Dave
Hey Dave it's a Corbin39
Old 12-01-2014, 08:03   #24
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Hey Dave it's a Corbin39
Definitely AC42 , is your ray type 2 Linear drive doing a good job, if so keep it.

Dave
Old 12-01-2014, 08:03   #25

Thanks Dave , and it does work fine.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:10   #26
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Thanks Dave , and it does work fine.
Ap24 head and Ac42 computer. Yes generally a little more costly then rays gear, but if your deciding on Simrad/b&G MFDs and a new AP is in the mix, it would be a pity to loose the tight integration

Also the general feedback is that the AC42 is good if not a better AP then rays. ( but Rays are very good APs in my experience , especially since the rate gyros were added )

Dave
Old 12-01-2014, 08:15   #27
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by knot smart View Post
hey dave, define junk.. I currently have about a 5k budget, that needs to get the whole package, out the door. MFD, radar, autopilot and transducers.. ill do the install myself. by my estimation a linear drive would break the budget.. your comment makes wonder if I need to save more and get the linear.. does the hydro pump work that much better than the electric motor??
Almost inevitably what kills autopilots is users under-specifying the units for the size of the boat AND the power needed to control it in heavy weather. This is particularly true of wheel mounted units. All down to skimping on costs. Then APs get a bad rep for breaking down or being unreliable.

Just like anchors , go one size above manufacturers recommendations etc. your autopilot should be most of the time just " dawdling around" because peak loads in bad weather can be several times that of light airs.

Hydraulic systems are more rugged and capable then electric linear drives , but very pricey , if the specs suit linear drives use it. Anything is better then a wheel mounted unit.

Dave
Old 12-01-2014, 12:57   #28

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Almost inevitably what kills autopilots is users under-specifying the units for the size of the boat AND the power needed to control it in heavy weather. This is particularly true of wheel mounted units. All down to skimping on costs. Then APs get a bad rep for breaking down or being unreliable.

Just like anchors , go one size above manufacturers recommendations etc. your autopilot should be most of the time just " dawdling around" because peak loads in bad weather can be several times that of light airs.

Hydraulic systems are more rugged and capable then electric linear drives , but very pricey , if the specs suit linear drives use it. Anything is better then a wheel mounted unit.

Dave
Very helpful thread. I'm going through some of the same issues. We're replacing our failing RM radar and C70 MFD with the B&G Zeus and 4G radar. We've gotten a quote for the 8" Zeus touch and radar that is essentially the same as for the RM e95.

At the same time we're planning to replace our S-1 wheel pilot that came with the boat with a more appropriate AP. The B&G hydraulic pilot is about $400 more than the EV200 Raymarine with a Type 1 linear drive. However, the hydraulic pilot is rated to 20K displacement and the linear RM is rated to 24K. We're probably right around 20K or a bit more loaded for cruising. For another +/- $900 we can get the larger hydraulic drive rated to 40K displacement. Overkill, but, to your point more capacity probably improves life span.

I'm definitely going to go with the B&G control head and computer. The question is which drive unit. The best choice (ignoring the wallet) would seem to be to go with the larger B&G hydraulic pilot, but that seems larger than needed. It seems like the the B&G control unit can control the RM Type 1 linear drive which is probably adequately sized. So, thoughts on whether the advantages of same brand trumps greater capacity? What makes a hydraulic unit better to warrant the price difference?

Thanks!
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 13:04   #29
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
Very helpful thread. I'm going through some of the same issues. We're replacing our failing RM radar and C70 MFD with the B&G Zeus and 4G radar. We've gotten a quote for the 8" Zeus touch and radar that is essentially the same as for the RM e95.

At the same time we're planning to replace our S-1 wheel pilot that came with the boat with a more appropriate AP. The B&G hydraulic pilot is about $400 more than the EV200 Raymarine with a Type 1 linear drive. However, the hydraulic pilot is rated to 20K displacement and the linear RM is rated to 24K. We're probably right around 20K or a bit more loaded for cruising. For another +/- $900 we can get the larger hydraulic drive rated to 40K displacement. Overkill, but, to your point more capacity probably improves life span.

I'm definitely going to go with the B&G control head and computer. The question is which drive unit. The best choice (ignoring the wallet) would seem to be to go with the larger B&G hydraulic pilot, but that seems larger than needed. It seems like the the B&G control unit can control the RM Type 1 linear drive which is probably adequately sized. So, thoughts on whether the advantages of same brand trumps greater capacity? What makes a hydraulic unit better to warrant the price difference?

Thanks!
Again, beware of the min/maxing. the type 1 drive is specified for a maximum displacement of 24k lbs. My experience is you should be no more then about 60% of that.

Consider a Type 2 Ray linear arm , about $200 more then then type 1 ( defender) as an alternative to hydraulic.

dave
Old 12-01-2014, 13:05   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You might want to read this article.
Autopilot drive questions and answers
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll