Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2021, 00:08   #31
Moo

Re: AvNav - navigation in the browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellenvogel02 View Post
Did you rename the file when uploading?
The name for the second part should be xxxx.gemf-1 but you have now BSB_ROOT-1.gemf.
This will not work.
Unfortunately you cannot upload multipart gemfs directly in the UI..
How did you run the conversion on Windows?
Directly from the UI?
Ahhh I did rename in attempt to get it to upload in the UI..

But that was several attempts ago. Since then the files have been:

BSB_ROOT.gemf
BSB_ROOT.gemf-1

So something in the in the config is retaining the incorrect file name; which no longer exists.

I converted the files in windows with the convert GUI that appears by default when you run Avnav.

Chris
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 00:19   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
It Works on Chrome on my Galaxy A52 now. There is brief but noticeable blink on the affected icons as they first appear blank and then half a second later reload. That is using your test link; of course that might not even be perceptible on a local server.

Chris
Thanks for testing. Very strange effect. Everything looks ok in the HTML, in the css, no errors...
Simply setting the images again make them appear.
Most probably some issue with Chrome that tries to save some battery and/ or bandwidth.
I will create a new release with the correction/workaround.
wellenvogel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:14   #33

Quote:
So something in the in the config is retaining the incorrect file name; which no longer exists.
Do the charts finally work right now?
If not - did they work on Windows after you finished the conversion?
If you deleted the invalid files from the chart dir it could make sense to restart AvNav (from the server/status page) - this should ensure that it "forgets" all non existing files (what it should do anyway after some time).
Old 01-05-2021, 03:56   #34
Moo

Quote:
Do the charts finally work right now?
If not - did they work on Windows after you finished the conversion?
If you deleted the invalid files from the chart dir it could make sense to restart AvNav (from the server/status page) - this should ensure that it "forgets" all non existing files (what it should do anyway after some time).
They worked on windows after finishing the conversion and still do.

On the RPi 4 I consistently get that error message with the old (bad) filename.

AvNav is not forgetting the non-existing files.

Which file contains that info? It must be in one the xml files somewhere?

Chris
Old 01-05-2021, 04:30   #35

No, the info is not contained in any xml.
But you need to delete in the file system.
The chart dir is /home/pi/avnav/data/charts.
As it cannot be read there is ko way to delete it from the UI.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:45   #36
Moo

Quote:
No, the info is not contained in any xml.
But you need to delete in the file system.
The chart dir is /home/pi/avnav/data/charts.
As it cannot be read there is ko way to delete it from the UI.
I do not have ..../data/charts

I have /home/pi/avnav/data/charts

And the only thing it contains is osm-online.xml

As far as I can tell I have removed any and all version of the charts from the Pi.

Very confusing.

There is also a /home/pi/AvNavCharts directory.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:08   #37
Moo

Quote:
I do not have ..../data/charts

I have /home/pi/avnav/data/charts

And the only thing it contains is osm-online.xml

As far as I can tell I have removed any and all version of the charts from the Pi.

Very confusing.

There is also a /home/pi/AvNavCharts directory.
Ahh there was also a copy of the BSB_ROOT-1.gemf file in /var/lib/avnav/charts. However deleting that and putting a good set of gemf files in /home/pi/avnav/charts has not helped .. nothing appears.. although the log file shows that everything is up an running.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:21   #38

Quote:
Ahh there was also a copy of the BSB_ROOT-1.gemf file in /var/lib/avnav/charts. However deleting that and putting a good set of gemf files in /home/pi/avnav/charts has not helped .. nothing appears.. although the log file shows that everything is up an running.
Sorry - I forgot that you did the package based install.
Just to be sure:
Could you please attach your avnav_server.xml (could be downloaded from the update plugin - or just from /home/pi/avnav/data).
By default the install sets up the chart dir to ~/AvNavCharts/out - the same dir that is used by the UI converter.
So your charts should be there.
Maybe I should change this to be more compatible with the other installs
And the ones on /var/lib are just there if you enabled the service as it is (in this case AvNav would run as the user avnav).
But if you followed the instructions at the install page and run it as the user pi /var/lib/... is not used any more.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:41   #39

For the icon stuff:
Could you please check if you have "lite mode" enabled in Chrome?
Old 03-05-2021, 02:50   #40

A new version is out addressing the chrome lite mode issue:
https://www.wellenvogel.net/software...e.html?lang=en
Old 03-05-2021, 10:59   #41

Boat: Beneteau First 24 (1984)

OK, I've had a few days of tinkering with my setup, and I managed to make everything work! Very happy with it.

There were two obstacles I had to overcome: my own limited understanding, and the fact that the Nasa Clipper GPS repeater is very picky regarding what data it gets.

As mentioned, I first had OpenCPN send RMB and RMC to an UDP port and in SignalK I forwarded this to the serial port that connects the repeater to the RPi. This worked fine, even though I now understand it's not really supposed to.

In the new setup, I use SignalK's SignalK-to-Nmea0183 plugin to generate RMC. This had the unexpected positive effect that the repeater started showing SOG and COG without having an active waypoint in OpenCPN. Previously, I would have to activate a waypoint to see COG/SOG.

Then, I setup AvNav to output RMB to a UDP port and forwarded this in SignalK to the serial port. Now, the repeater intermittently showed waypoint data, alternated by "No GPS Dest". This behaviour I recognized, and it is due to the Nasa Clipper's peculiarities.

Now comes the really good part: In AvNav, I could specify the interval with which to output RMB. Default is 1 second. 0.5 seconds reduced the intermittent showing drastically, and with 0.4s the problem was gone!

So, time to look further. I already purchased the Ocharts-maps for my region, so I edited Avnav_server.xml to point to the chart folder, and... done!

It would be even nicer if this could be done in the GUI, but anyway, it's great that I could use the charts that I already had!

A question about the O-charts map: I was fiddling with the text/sounding text sizes. The settings page says that after a change in these settings, the cache will be emptied, but that doesn't actually seem to happen: the parts of the chart that I already had looked at, kept the text size setting from before, while newly rendered bits of chart had the new settings applied. Is there a way to manually empty the cache?

Also, the missing icons bug was fixed, very quickly!

So, very happy user here! Now going to try it out in practice.
Kukel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 15:27   #42
Moo

Ok. It took some fiddling but I have it up and running. Thanks for the pointers.

One question right now. I think I have checked all of the manual, but can't find it.

How do you drop a mark? There must be a way because a plotter needs to have this function.. nothing in the keyboard mappings that I can see, no icon?

Cheers
Chris
Old 04-05-2021, 01:30   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukel View Post
I already purchased the Ocharts-maps for my region, so I edited Avnav_server.xml to point to the chart folder, and... done!

It would be even nicer if this could be done in the GUI, but anyway, it's great that I could use the charts that I already had!
I agree..
Unfortunately I do not have a nice file selector being available. But yes, I could just provide an input for the additional chart dirs. Will take a look at this. I was also thinking about some special option like "pick up OpenCPN charts".

At the end you just can edit the config in the UI (using the update plugin)
Old 04-05-2021, 01:34   #44

Quote:
How do you drop a mark? There must be a way because a plotter needs to have this function.. nothing in the keyboard mappings that I can see, no icon?
Currently there is no way of setting an arbitrary mark. You can just set a target for simple waypoint routing or create a route.
But maybe this is a nice idea (until now no one was asking for...).
Could you create a GitHub issue for that - just also describing what you would like to have (options for icons, features,...)?
Old 04-05-2021, 09:25   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukel View Post
A question about the O-charts map: I was fiddling with the text/sounding text sizes. The settings page says that after a change in these settings, the cache will be emptied, but that doesn't actually seem to happen: the parts of the chart that I already had looked at, kept the text size setting from before, while newly rendered bits of chart had the new settings applied. Is there a way to manually empty the cache?
Ok, I could trigger this bug locally. One of the later optimizations introduced this one.
Normally cache files should be cleaned up automatically if something is changed as they contain a hash of the settings. But this is broken.
I will go for a correction.
Should not take to long.

Tags
navigation