Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2020, 15:13   #1

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Are there any fixed Bridges between west palm beach and ft lauderdale, all opening?

Hello. I'm trying to get out of Fl this weekend, to the bahamas, but I'm in West Palm Beach. The weather is going to be brisk, and crossing the stream is a consideration.

I'd prefer to leave from Ft Lauderdale, so I can use the stream to my advantage, but our air draft is 75 feet. Are all the bridges between West Palm Beach, and Ft Lauderdale, opening bridges? It seems so, but I'd like some confirmation from someone who might know.

No comments needed on our crossing, we know what we're in for, but it'd be a lot more comfortable if we could leave from further south.

Thanks.
Paul.
Old 29-12-2020, 15:28   #2

Re: Are there any fixed Bridges between west palm beach and ft lauderdale, all openin

Hmmm, seems like you are correct, I took that route a few times with 65 ft mast. I think we opened a ton of bridges in one day! Here's where a waterway guide helps, only a few bucks. You can time your bridges by just motoring the right speed to open the next one as the further south you get they only open at certain times/intervals.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 15:35   #3

Re: Are there any fixed Bridges between west palm beach and ft lauderdale, all openin

Wow, thanks for that. We haven't done any of the waterway with this boat, and assumed we couldn't do any. But, if we can do this bit, it'll make our trip on Sat/Sun a treat.

Thank you.
Paul.
Old 29-12-2020, 15:35   #4

References:

Florida ICW Bridge Schedule - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

http://cms5.revize.com/revize/florid...Guide_rev2.pdf

Question asked and answered:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...le-176595.html
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 15:40   #5

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Southern Boulevard Bridge will probably stop you before you get out of town.
https://www.waterwayguide.com/bridge...r-70080-bridge
https://www.southernblvdbridge.com/

Did you get under Blue Heron?
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 15:48   #6

I'm presently anchored just south of the Flagler Memorial Bridge. Do they close bridges when President Trump is in town? Is that the Southern Blvd Bridge near his place? Or is it still under construction? That might cause an issue with our air draft.
Old 29-12-2020, 15:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Wow, thanks for that. We haven't done any of the waterway with this boat, and assumed we couldn't do any. But, if we can do this bit, it'll make our trip on Sat/Sun a treat.

Thank you.
Paul.
Please be sure to double check, you are almost 10 ft higher than I was. I cant remember if there is a fixed 65 ft bridge there or not! There are some Freeway bridges, unknown height to me.

Old 29-12-2020, 15:57   #8

I see now, thanks wsmurdoch, for the heads up. The southern Blvd bridge is under construction, and has a clearance of 65 feet.

Done deal, we'll have to tough it out from here.

Cheers all, and thanks for your replies.

Paul.
Old 29-12-2020, 16:05   #9

Bon Voyage.

FYI as to the Covid-19 travel restrictions and requirements for entry to the Bahamas.

Prior to Departing for The Bahamas:

STEP 1:
Everyone travelling to The Bahamas between December 23, 2020 and January 4, 2021 must obtain a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR (swab) test taken no more than 7 days prior to the date of arrival. The day the test is taken is considered day zero. Test must return a negative result for entry into The Bahamas.

Children 10 and under, and pilots and crew of commercial airlines who remain overnight in The Bahamas, are not required to take a test.

Negative PCR test results must be uploaded in order to complete a Bahamas Health Visa application, and must be presented upon arrival in The Bahamas.
Any person presenting test results older than 7 days will not be allowed entry into The Bahamas.

STEP 2:
Once in possession of a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test, travellers can apply for their required Bahamas Travel Health Visa at travel.gov.bs. (Click on International Tab)

As part of the Travel Health Visa application, travellers will be required to opt-in to COVID-19 health insurance that covers them for the duration of their stay in The Bahamas. The cost of insurance is included in the Travel Health Visa application fee.

Travel Health Visa applications take up to 48 hours to process and should be completed with adequate lead time. The cost of the Travel Health Visa is dependent on length of stay. Note with the holidays the processing time for the visa may be longer if staff are not working.

*A Bahamas citizen or resident planning to travel abroad for seven (7) days or less must secure a test in the destination they visited before travelling back to The Bahamas. Any RT-PCR test taken in The Bahamas prior to travel will not be valid for re-entry.

Upon Arrival

Rapid COVID-19 Antigen Testing (if applicable): all persons who are staying in The Bahamas longer than six (6) nights and seven (7) days will be required to take a rapid COVID-19 antigen test.
All visitors departing on or before 7 days will not be required to obtain this test.
The day of arrival is considered Day 1 of a person’s stay.

Daily Health Survey: All persons travelling into and throughout The Bahamas will be required to complete a short Health Survey each day for the first five days of their stay.
The survey must be completed upon arrival and each day thereafter for up to 14 days, or the duration of their stay, whichever is shorter.
This includes the day of departure, if travelling less than 14 days.

Any visitor who exhibits COVID symptoms upon arrival or at any time during their stay will be required to take a rapid antigen test and receive a negative result before being permitted to continue with their vacation.
If a person tests positive they will be required to follow up with a COVID-19 RT-PCR swab test.

Who has to take a rapid antigen test?
All persons who are staying in The Bahamas longer than six (6) nights and seven (7) days will be required to take a rapid COVID-19 antigen test.
Children age ten (10) and under are exempt from taking rapid antigen tests.

Do I need to take a rapid antigen test if I’m travelling domestically inter-island?
All persons travelling domestically from New Providence to another island for longer than six (6) nights and seven (7) days will be required to take a rapid antigen test on the seventh day of their stay.

What happens if I don’t take a rapid antigen test on the seventh day of my stay?
A person staying longer than six (6) nights and seven (7) days who fails to undergo a rapid antigen test on the seventh day of their stay is liable to a fine of $1,000 (USD) or possible imprisonment.

Where can I take a rapid antigen test if I’m staying longer than six (6) nights and seven (7) days?
All visitors and returning citizens and residents staying longer than six (6) nights and seventh (7) days will receive a reminder 24 hours prior to the required test with information on where and how to obtain a test.

An approved list of testing sites is available below.
Tests in New Providence will be conducted at Doctors Hospital or at an approved medical clinic.
Tests in Grand Bahama Island and the Family Islands will be conducted at an approved medical clinic.

Are there any documents I need to bring when getting my rapid antigen test?
All persons taking a rapid antigen test on the fifth day of their stay are required to bring and present their Health Visa with QR code. Tests cannot be properly recorded without the QR code that corresponds to each person’s individual Health Visa.

How much does the rapid test cost?
The cost of the rapid antigen test is included in the Bahamas Health Visa and paid in advance of travel.

How long until rapid test results are ready?
The rapid tests are easy, quick and will yield results in 60 minutes or less with results being provided electronically by SMS text message and email.

What if I have a positive result on my rapid antigen test?
All positive test results are reported to the Ministry of Health’s Surveillance Unit who will conduct additional clinical screening per their own mandates.
If an on-island rapid test returns positive, that person will be required to follow up with a COVID-19 RT-PCR swab test. They will be required to self-isolate until the result of the test is known.
With a positive result, the traveller may either:
Leave the destination via approved medical transportation (using either insurance or personal resources)
Quarantine at their booked place of stay
There is no mandatory government facility where visitors will be sent.

What happens if I don’t complete the daily Health Survey?
Compliance with the daily Health Survey is required, and those who fail to comply will be subject to penalties.
Citizens and residents who fail to complete the daily Health Survey will be required to submit to a mandatory quarantine at a government identified facility.
Visitors who fail to complete the daily Health Survey will be deported.

How will the Ministry combat the risk of asymptomatic persons?
The Ministry is implementing these new protocols to mitigate the risk by ensuring multiple testing touch points which include testing prior to arrival, as well as tracking, monitoring and an additional test 5 days after arrival.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 16:18   #10

Quote:
I see now, thanks wsmurdoch, for the heads up. The southern Blvd bridge is under construction, and has a clearance of 65 feet.

Paul.
A thought: not much easy anchoring in Fort L. And by the time you get to a place, you are quite a bit of time from the long entrance channel usually. From Fort L around the bend to Biscayne Bay is usually a great sail and doesn't take that long.... so you could just keep on trucking to down there.
But if you are going to a marina, then that's a bit easier....

Old 29-12-2020, 16:46   #11

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
A thought: not much easy anchoring in Fort L. And by the time you get to a place, you are quite a bit of time from the long entrance channel usually. From Fort L around the bend to Biscayne Bay is usually a great sail and doesn't take that long.... so you could just keep on trucking to down there.
But if you are going to a marina, then that's a bit easier....
This is exactly what we did last year - hugged the coast from WPB down to near Miami, then made a left turn. If the winds have been favorable for getting south and/or are favorable for getting east, and you aren't too beat up getting down to Ft. Lauderdale, then might as well just keep going. It is all better on the east side of the stream.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 17:20   #12

Covid testing, and timing.

We had planned to get our pcr test tomorrow morning as Bahamas has allowed 7 days between the the test, and arrival, from Dec 22 to Jan 4. This was my prime motivator; I wanted to get in during this extended time, but we've just decided that the fight against the stream, in 20-25knots of wind, just isn't worth the hassle.

Our Covid test company will travel to meet us, anywhere from Palm beach to Miami (perhaps further) https://www.bluemedconsultants.com/?...M6Jrbsu7ftcujE

They're very accommodating, and were happy to change our testing date for us. We'll see if we can either depart from further south, or see if we can get across some night next week, with a little less wind.

We're somewhat limited in departure times, as my wife works during the week. So our strong preference would be for a week-end crossing.

Thanks for the travel info, we're aware, and have filled out the health visa, and are just waiting to upload our tests, and get our approval.

Cheers all.
Paul.
Old 29-12-2020, 17:43   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:

Paul.
I was through there a few months ago and the bridge did NOT have a clearance board for the raised position. The operator said it was 65 at MLW.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 17:43   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Not a typo!! Mean LOW water
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 08:53   #15

Boat: Knysna 480

A word of caution. The bridge operators at Southern Blvd. are saying there is 65 foot air draft. Not even close. This is a temporary bridge, plus half of the new opening bridge is presently in the down position.
Last weekend I was delivering a Leopard cat from Hallandale to Riviera Beach...owner’s request to come up the ICW. After 23 bridges, no way we were getting through. Had to go back south and out the Boca inlet.
Sailingveterinarian is offline   Reply With Quote