Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2015, 08:23   #361

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Are paper charts a dinosaur?

It was some years ago so someone probably has current info.. A friend while in USAF navigator training, learning to us a sexton was a requirement.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 08:27   #362

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Celestial navigation is a fairly esoteric art which was not used all that much in recreational sailing even before GPS.

I think that it is a big mistake people make these days to think that the only alternative to satellite navigation is celestial.

In fact for coastal sailing celestial nav is useless. The main techniques, still useful (essential?) skills to have today, were triangulation using three-point fixes on coastal landmarks, and following depth contour lines. Dead reckoning when out of sight of land. These techniques work extremely well -- you don't need either GPS or celestial to navigate very well in typical coastal situations, so long as you have some kind of chart.

I'm not denigrating celestial; it's a magnificent art, but it's a specialized technique which is really only needed for passages which take you out of sight of land for multiple days at a time. Failure to perceive the specialized nature of celestial navigation leads to forgetting about the more important (for the typical sailor) traditional navigation skills, which I think is unfortunate.
Ah yes Dockhead - but any young lady that sees you pull out a sextant and proceed to shoot at star or the sun will be instantly smitten. Even if you're an old fogey like me

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 08:29   #363

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Ah yes Dockhead - but any young lady that sees you pull out a sextant and proceed to shoot at star or the sun will be instantly smitten. Even if you're an old fogey like me
I realize some of you guys need some extra help in that department
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 08:36   #364

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Continuing the thought:

"I think that it is a big mistake people make these days to think that the only alternative to satellite navigation is celestial" as if in the absence of a GPS position, you just whip out the sextant and navigate exactly the same way.

That's not the way it worked at all. In coastal situations or relatively short offshore passages, sailors did not use their sextants, if they even had one. You used your eyes, hand bearing compass, depth sounder, and your wits. Without instant access to your lat/long, you had to think in a completely different way, with a lot more deductive reasoning. You didn't even think about your lat/long all that much -- you cared a lot more about your position relative to hazards, waypoints, etc.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 08:40   #365

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I realize some of you guys need some extra help in that department
In that department I take all the help I can get

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 18-02-2015, 08:57   #366

Quote:
In that department I take all the help I can get
If I'm following this right? Don't get too much help or you will be getting slapped upside to head.
Old 18-02-2015, 09:53   #367

Boat: Rafiki 37

When you learn to fly, you still training using paper charts and using DR.

I'm on the younger end of this forum, and I love my electronic gizmos, but I have backup paper charts for the areas I will be going to, and am practicing using a sextant.

Apart from anything else, it's really quite fun.
Old 18-02-2015, 09:59   #368

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post

I'm on the younger end of this forum, and I love my electronic gizmos, but I have backup paper charts for the areas I will be going to, and am practicing using a sextant.

Apart from anything else, it's really quite fun.
This is why I would like to learn using the sextant as well. Or at least I thought it was until carstenb's recent post. Suddenly it's a big priority.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 11:55   #369
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Ah yes Dockhead - but any young lady that sees you pull out a sextant and proceed to shoot at star or the sun will be instantly smitten.
I bet I can look at my GPS ahead of time and then fake it
Old 18-02-2015, 12:43   #370

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I'll bite. With video calling and the proliferation of conference calls, we are closing in on the point where it's nice but completely unneccessary to meet face to face.

20-30yrs ago when it was voice only and you couldn't see body language or share documents, there was value in face to face meetings.

Now I think we are still 10-15yrs from complete elimination of face to face the bulk of that delay is waiting for the dinosaurs to retire. There will be some hickups and funny stories along the way but once we get over it, you will see the change in the same way paper charts are on the way out.
So if I'm following you correctly, you believe that face to face, in person, communications will be of zero value to anyone but us dinosaurs. To follow your line of reasoning, in the future there will be no need to actually sail boats to our cruising destination as we can experience it all virtually in the comfort of our homes. Why take the risk of foreign body contact?
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 13:37   #371

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If I'm following this right? Don't get too much help or you will be getting slapped upside to head.
Idoubt if I would get away with only a slap up the side of my head. I suspect Vinni would get her riggers knife out and remove a certain part of my body that I happen to be fond of

of course I am allowed to fantasize :-)

Old 18-02-2015, 13:41   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
So if I'm following you correctly, you believe that face to face, in person, communications will be of zero value to anyone but us dinosaurs. To follow your line of reasoning, in the future there will be no need to actually sail boats to our cruising destination as we can experience it all virtually in the comfort of our homes. Why take the risk of foreign body contact?
Cyber sex? Solves overpopulation and STDs. Somehow it just don't seem the same? Being a dinosaur a hand shake makes a deal and experiencing it first hand wins out, As much as I enjoy posting by Carsten and Simon and other creditables of adventures I'll never do.

Tags
charts