Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 11:38   #1
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40
Apple Mac

I have tried the search facility but could only find info on the i-pad so please be gentle with me as I guess this question has been asked before.

My trusty old laptop with Windows Vista is on its last legs and I was considering a Macbook but I have Maptech Navigator charts that say for windows and the AIS interface software is also for windows.

So, is there some clever software that will allow me to use my windows software on a Mac or do I need to buy different software or do I bite the bullet and buy anotherToshiba laptop running windows.

Advice and optiona appreciated

Thanks
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:07   #2

Try Mac ENC

The best nav software for the Mac is Mac ENC. (Google it.) I believe it will work with your Maptech charts and will accept the signal from your AIS. Even, better however, is that it will also work with the FREE, official NOAA charts, which you can easily download and update as needed, also for free.

Another route to consider, actually, is the iPad. Much less expensive than either a Mac or PC laptop. It runs the excellent $50 iNavX app, which will also support the free government charts, which you can automatically load right into the application. The user experience is wonderful, with the touchscreen enabling you to move the chart around much like a paper chart, easily zoom in on areas of interest with the pinch gesture, and quickly flip back and forth between larger and smaller-scale (raster) charts. Now of course, the iPad's built-in GPS is not WAAS enabled. Although it is highly accurate, it is arguably less accurate than a real marine gps receiver. However, even the most "accurate" GPS receiver is not to be trusted completely.
loupdemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:59   #3

Macs can also run in a compatibility mode: and load windows (having to purchase windows as well).

for more info see: Apple - Mac OS X - Windows Compatibility - How Mac works with PCs
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:15   #4

As ActiveCaptain said and if you are a little squeemish about the dual boot, you can use parrallels or even VMware to use all of your windows stuff natively in MAC.. Good luck
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 23:39   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I think MacBook's (buy the Pro version! :-) are about the last laptops that come with full up to date driver set for Windows XP. All you need is an old XP disc/license and you're good to go... the rest is all included with the Mac. We also use a MacMini at the nav station which doubles as entertainment system (music, dvd's etc.) coupled to a big LCD, replacing TV.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 23:55   #6
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40
Thanks all, some good advice as usual.
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 00:54   #7

Boat: Bavaria 37
Hi i
I have been using my MacBook onboard for 5 years and I never brought Windows. Mac OS is perfect with a soft like GPSNavx (60 €) - or MacEnc it seems - and a GPS Mouse USB (50 €). As the charts are concerned, I found all what I need for free (BSB Charts). So I have a whole navigation system for 110 €...
Of course I have a Magellan GPS and paper charts in case of ...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:49   #8

Boat: Gaff Schooner 45' - Talisman of Fambridge
Mac Book, the way to go!

Hi NDH,

We live aboard in Cowes. Run two mac books and also run polar Navy as our Mac Nav package. Polar Navy will run you existing set of electronic charts as will most of the other free Mac Nav' software. A search for "Mac marine navigation" will pull up lots of good sites including Mac ENC, Polar Navy, Tiki Navigator and many more. There used to be a forum for Mac Navigation Tools but I can't find it at the moment.

PM me if you want to talk about a mac on board in the uk.

Simes
Old 10-12-2010, 04:00   #9

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52
keep in the info coming in! i am learning from this question myself. I run Fusion for window programs on my Mac but I hate waiting the few seconds to go back and forth. Love my Mac- and so does my husband who has a Dell!
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:42   #10

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
I switched to Mac 2 years ago. I haven't added any Nav programs yet, as I'm not leaving until this summer.

For Active Captain, how do you protect the Windows OS if you need to download a program from the Internet?

For anyone else, what programs do you use to aquire GRIB files, and any kind of weather planning?

Not being a "Geek", I found the Mac system, including iPhone and iPods, (haven't purchased, or plan to purchase an iPad), very user friendly, along with excellent Tech support. Sure beats talking to "Fred" from Bombay.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20   #11

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
i am a fan of polar navy on the mac. check out the trial if you decide to switch.

cheers
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56   #12

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
My old trusty 13" PowerMac went belly-up after 6 years of hard traveling and sailing. I wasted no time in buying a 13" new MacBook Pro. With MacENC and my bluetooth gps receiver, this is my backup e-navigation system as well as our communication and multimedia center. I'll eventually add an iPad to the kit, (I'm a heavy user of it's older smaller brother, the iPod touch) but the full fledged MacBook Pro was a easy choice at this time. Glad to hear of Polar Navy - I'll have a look at it.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
For anyone else, what programs do you use to aquire GRIB files, and any kind of weather planning?
With GPSNavX, you can acquire GRIB Files and with a 3G Key, or a wifi connection, you can access of course to all the weather forecasts of the web (if you have a network where you are)..
Here is the address of the site someone asked for :

Forum Index - MacSailing.net - Powered by FusionBB
Old 10-12-2010, 23:33   #14

Boat: Gaff Schooner 45' - Talisman of Fambridge
Jaquers2,
Thanks for the URL link. Can't imagine what I did with my saved one.
How are you getting on with GPSNavX? I have not used it but it is on the list.
I do like USGrib, pity it is not available for the native Mac environment.
maybe it is time to run "Boot Camp"?

Simes
Old 11-12-2010, 01:58   #15

Hi,
I am not sure it will work, but I try to give you an idea of the screen you will have with GPSNavx on a Mac. On the tool bar on the top you have "Meteo" (it means forecasts) and then you can ask for Grib files for everywhere in the world. It will be a USGrib but you do not need to have the software from USGrib (which doesn't work with Mac as you know). You do not need Boot Camp... GPSNavX manages it for you and you get the USGrib.
As position on the map or waypoints GPSNavX is very easy and simple to use. The most important thing is to check wether the map you are using at a moment is a WGS84 or not... Otherwise you could be positioned on the earth instead of being in the middle of the very narrow strait between Samos and Turkey ! It happens to me once
(Notice : I have nos special interest with GPSNavX and I suppose there are other soft that can work with Mac)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gpsnavxgrib.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	21853