Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 15:40   #16

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Anyone use StarNavPilot or MaxSea TimeZero...????

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam54 View Post
Because MaxSea is a Much Better program and has many seamless options that openCPN does not..???
I think OpenCPN has so many options no other charting program has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliaVita View Post
I know MaxSea better than I know Open CPN, and I doubt that MaxSea 'does' much more, but the presentation and intuitiveness of it are far superior which means that I, as a non techy, will get more out of MaxSea than Open CPN.
Please post specifics, and how opencpn could be improved to be better.
Quote:
I dont think Open CPN does weather routing like MaxSea does, but not 100% sure.
OpenCPN has weather routing with many features.
Quote:
The huge advantage for me feature wise is the seamless integration with Furuno. If you dont have Furuno then obviously that doesn't apply. Customer support has also been excellent at MaxSea, again very important as a non techy person. Hope that helps.
I think opencpn only supports 3 or 4 types of radar not furuno yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I purchased MaxSea primarily to get the 3D bathemetrics, utilizing my furuno sounder. If you spend enough time fishing an area, you build up a very detailed underwater 3D view of structure -- very useful for some kinds of fishing.
Please post a location where 3d bathemetric data is available for download. If you can find this data it can be added to opencpn.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:45   #17

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I think the person making comparisons had better know both software programs very well, or they will find themselves eating their words, as far as OpenCPN goes. --->
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:29   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

Well I have the MaxSea installed on my Toughbook computer and have it tweaked with all the satellite photos, and all the charts.. Pan/ tilt/zoom anywhere.. w/ Active Captain, fishing charts, weather just awesome..
Old 11-02-2015, 06:13   #19

Boat: Oyster 66

I've got MaxSea and OpenCPN. Both are excellent products in different ways. I find I end up using MaxSea more though and on balance prefer it only slightly. It is ultra fast in zooming and panning and it does so in a visually attractive way that makes it nice to use. OpenCPN are better now with OpenGL, almost as good as good. This is a really key feature as I constantly go in and out through the zoom levels to check detail, route and hazards. MaxSea's AIS CPA representation is really fast and easy also. I use the MaxSea tracking function to monitor anchor drag and swing. It is better for that. It gives a representation on the screen, which seems accurate to plus or minus a meter or two.

The integration of Google Earth into OpenCPN is superb and the ability to overlay radar is quite an achievement. It is pretty close in most other ways.

I have up to date charts for the Caribbean on MaxSea, but don't for OpenCPN so reason alone for it being the primary system. It is useful to compare the charts though and I will pick the most conservative information of the two. (Of four actually, I also use INavX on the Ipad and Cmap on the Ray plotter). If I sort out the chart issue, I could easily swap.

What is a nightmare is to reinstall MaxSea on a new PC. I have done it a four times meticulously according to their procedure, but I get locked out each time as the release code gets lost. I have to wait for two weeks and endless calls and emails to MaxSea help to get it fixed. I get the feeling they are on a go-slow as they want to be really sure I am not cheating before they give me an extra release code.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 20:19   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Ranger42c hits it on the head.

MaxseaTZ is easy to hook up or get help. I use OpenCPN on another pc as a backup using a different GPS receiver. For a free program it's great. But for getting radar, sounders and autopilots all working together, it's worth the money.

I'm retired, but when I was working on the ocean wouldn't have thought twice about buying a professional tool like Maxsea. I think the charts are overpriced and I NEVER use the 3D, so that's all wasted on me. I would be happier to just download the newest Noaa charts (and pay thru the nose for the Canadian ones I need).
Also, I'd hate to have some marine event happen while depending on a free program. Some hot lawyer could maybe make something of that.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 22:09   #21

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I don't believe that a case would turn on that point, but more on the merits.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxsea