Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2016, 11:36   #16

Boat: Nonsuch 26 Ultra
Re: An iPad with iNavX/Navionics, or a Windows Surface with OpenCPN?

If you decide on a windows system, you might want to check out Polar Navy... has Active Captain capability. I use this combo on Acer Switch 10.1 tablet/laptop in 'zippy-bag' on deck. Food for thought...
Cheers,
Lester
N5EDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 12:17   #17

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDurst View Post
I just looked into the Nexus 9 (Android) for OpenCPN. The only issue I see is that there really isn't a whole lot of plugin support like there is for the desktop version. If I went that route, I'd probably just get iNavX or something since the only benefit I think OpenCPN has over them is the option for plugins. I almost wonder if I just got an old Android tablet and installed linux on it, and how that would work.

As for the other devices, I'm not too concerned about GPS compatibility... that is already routed through my NMEA Multiplexer, so really all I need is just a straight up chart plotter that can accept WiFi sentences.

Does anyone have any experience doing the Linux on an Android Tablet running OpenCPN? I might go over to that forum and ask.
There is an advantage if you have the worldwide charts.

Personally I don't like Apple devices so I stick with Android or Windows. On Android I have OpenCPN and Navionics. On Windows I have Polar Navy and OpenCPN. I tried Nobeltec and found I didn't like it.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 17:01   #18

Boat: Morgan OI 37

So I have been contemplating the same issue.
I have open CPN on my laptop and just returned from a cruise with my buddy Captain Steve from Snead Island to Sarasota and back. The return trip was in the dark from the Manatee Bridge and around to the front mark on the Manatee River up to Snead Island.

In this narrow dog leg channel you have no room for error as there are shoals with 2 feet of water on a high tide on a good day.

The iPad with Navionics wins hands down over open CPN and the chartplotter for the following reasons in our humble opinion.

Seamless transitioning from chart to chart
Quick & simple go to function using caliper button
Touch zoom in and zoom out in a dark cockpit no looking for functions & buttons
Chart brightness is easliy changed for night vision by changing settings on the iPad

Based upon this real time test in a challenging navigation exercise, I am going to purchase an iPad and likely will load Navionics as well. I really liked the ease of use underway.
BobLoucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 17:24   #19

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoucks View Post
So I have been contemplating the same issue.
I have open CPN on my laptop and just returned from a cruise with my buddy Captain Steve from Snead Island to Sarasota and back. The return trip was in the dark from the Manatee Bridge and around to the front mark on the Manatee River up to Snead Island.

In this narrow dog leg channel you have no room for error as there are shoals with 2 feet of water on a high tide on a good day.

The iPad with Navionics wins hands down over open CPN and the chartplotter for the following reasons in our humble opinion.

Seamless transitioning from chart to chart
Quick & simple go to function using caliper button
Touch zoom in and zoom out in a dark cockpit no looking for functions & buttons
Chart brightness is easliy changed for night vision by changing settings on the iPad

Based upon this real time test in a challenging navigation exercise, I am going to purchase an iPad and likely will load Navionics as well. I really liked the ease of use underway.
If you go with an Android device you can have both Navionics and OpenCPN.. Just Sayin!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 20:52   #20

Boat: Moody 47

I have the Garmin app on my iPad. I would be really interested to hear comments on that vs the others discussed here. We too are looking at the options. IPad, Surface Pro, Lap Top........sextant :-)
Old 19-01-2016, 01:07   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
You guys know about Signal K? Check it out:

http://ikommunicate.com/wp-content/u...hite-paper.pdf

I think that this will change the discussion regarding devices.

Gary
Maybe but it'll be a while probably. There doesn't appear to be any applications available right now.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 02:39   #22

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I've run a couple of iPads with iNavX for a few years now and loved it......until the last 4 months.

It drove me nuts sailing around Fiji where you have to scroll around the world to get to the other side of the 180th meridian! I also found the app a bit unstable zoomed out around the same area and it would regularly crash.

These may be items that have been addressed on the latest version, but that leads me to my other issue. We really haven't had sufficient bandwidth since Panama to update the iPads, especially considering I've had to reload all the charts each time I've updated the app previously. Having to do everything through the App Store and the App is starting to turn me off the iPad a bit the more time I spend off the beaten track,

The entire time OpenCPN on a $300 laptop has just plugged along effortlessly......and I can overlay GoogleEarth images.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 04:41   #23

Boat: Cape Dory 36

Let me preface this by sayin I know little to nothing about Ipads and charting, although I am trying to get an education. What about MacENC for an Ipad ?
OBXSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, iNavX, Ipad, navionics, opencpn, wind