Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 05:51   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 37
Re: Alameda to Port of Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post
The whole area past S. B. is infamous for its "Santa Ann" winds, where cool high pressure builds inland and and flows SW through the mountain passes to to sea if there's an offshore low - sometimes gusting over hurricane force. Oct. to June is the usual "season", but keep an ear to the weather channel and for sure head for a safe port if these conditions are forecast
^^ This. I got caught in the SB Channel last Sept in 40 -50knts with wicked seas. It can kick up extremely fast there with little warning and it kicks up hard when it does. The only thing I would add is that when this happens it is better to get outside the channel (ocean side of the islands) than to head to port.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
^^ This. I got caught in the SB Channel last Sept in 40 -50knts with wicked seas. It can kick up extremely fast there with little warning and it kicks up hard when it does. The only thing I would add is that when this happens it is better to get outside the channel (ocean side of the islands) than to head to port.
Santa Ana winds are much more frequent in mid-summer through early fall when inland temperatures soar. As a result, Santa Ana winds are well known and forecast several days in advance so it's hard to be surprised by them. I disagree about heading out to see - you'd have to go 25+ nms out to find relief. A better strategy is to hug the coastline - within a mile off the surfline in the lee of the land as the winds sweep down the coastal mountains mostly from the NE.

BTW - best seasonal wx along the coast is not summer but late summer early fall when the Pacific High moves from the Great Basin over Nevada offshore, usually sometime in early/mid Sept through late October. The resulting 4-6 week period is extremely calm and settled weather and perfect power-boat transiting conditions. Summer weather along the central California coast is fairly predictable - winds start around 11AM, build to around 25-kts by mid afternoon, then reduce by sunset. Consequently, heading north produces a ton of spray over a boat - the OP's Bayliner are not always watertight for spray. But given the southerly trip, should be a great ride in June/July.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 23:25   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It used to be Santa Anas would occur in September and October. But over the years that has been changing. We've had them pop up through winters lately. Yes the forecasts are much better and they will be predicted well, and yes it is better to be hugging the coast if you must be out in it. If you can wait till August, that is the best bet for weather, but you can catch good windows before that. These last few days the coast from Point Sur down to south of the Channel Islands has been the windiest place in the eastern Pacific! If it were me I'd stop in at San Simeon and Cojo too just because they are beautiful spots. If you have time and fuel for it you might consider swinging out to the Channel Islands on the way down too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:11   #19

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post

The last time we went down from Monterey was last Oct, and spent a couple days in Santa Barb. marina while a 30-40kts NNW Santa Ana was blowing. I would not want to take the several hours to get in the lee of Santa Cruz Is with those conditions building! Now if anchored on the channel side of that lovely island, then slipping around the E end to Smuggler's Cove should give good protection, as the whole N side quickly becomes a death trap in any gale from the N to NW.
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:48   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

If you are caught out at Santa Cruz island in a Santa Ana I'd say even Smuggler's is no safe bet though it may offer some protection from prevailing swells. The wind can bend around along the back side. Coches Prietos and Willows anchorages would be better choices IMO. Best just not to be out there in the first place for that if you don't have to. If you are caught out there, then, yes, you'll have to find find protection in the lee of Santa Cruz. Most boats can't make headway against 40 or 50 kt winds (or more) to get to the coastline, and once there, though there's not much in the way of seas, the wind is howling offshore. But let's not get the impression that these events are frequent or always severe. And they are often localized to certain stretches of coast from central to southern California, not specific to the Santa Barbara Channel by any means.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 14:30   #21

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
If you are caught out at Santa Cruz island in a Santa Ana I'd say even Smuggler's is no safe bet though it may offer some protection from prevailing swells. The wind can bend around along the back side. Coches Prietos and Willows anchorages would be better choices IMO. Best just not to be out there in the first place for that if you don't have to. If you are caught out there, then, yes, you'll have to find find protection in the lee of Santa Cruz. Most boats can't make headway against 40 or 50 kt winds (or more) to get to the coastline, and once there, though there's not much in the way of seas, the wind is howling offshore. But let's not get the impression that these events are frequent or always severe. And they are often localized to certain stretches of coast from central to southern California, not specific to the Santa Barbara Channel by any means.

Very true. While with the USMC at Camp Pendleton, Oceanside in the late 60's, we had several blow through in 2 years - hotter than the hinges of Hell after being heated over the inland deserts.

Shouldda kept my mouth shut about Smugglers, as I've never been to the back side. Coches Prietos really looks to be a snug harbor, but I can find it only on my topos of the islands - not on the most detailed nautical chart I have in my tablet with the "West Coast" package..
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote