Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04   #31

Boat: Bavaria 38
Send a message via Skype™ to Vlad70
Re: AIS Application for ipad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

An onboard AIS transceiver solves all that for us. We've chosen to display the signal locations on the existing chartplotter. Given that we have an onboard chartplotter, we haven't found it necessary to leap through any hoops to also display AIS transmitter locations on tablets and smartphones.

Observations only.

-Chris
Hi Chris,

Yes, I also describe real AIR receiver / transponder, but some time even if we connect it to chart plotter - we want see all on iPad or similar

My real cases:

1) MFD installed infront You just when You steer, but in 90% of case - I sit in cockpit and autopilot do my work :-) And in most case I use iPad connected for my on board network (when I mean WiFi - this is my WiFi permanently installed onboard and connected with all onboard equipment - SeaTalk, NMEA and etc)

2) my son on watch, I sleep in cabin - my Ipad show me all navigation information and/or sound signal to me about change situation like increase wind speed or etc

Regards, Vlad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	65005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	65006  

Vlad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:46   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

As a professional mariner I would never use AIS information that comes from the internet. There is no telling how accurate or old this information is. It would be foolish to put the safety of the people I am responsible for on the information I get from an internet website.

Buy a real AIS receiver. In terms of what it costs to purchase and operate a boat and the safety benefits that they provide, they are relatively inexpensive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14   #33

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad70 View Post
Hi Chris,

Yes, I also describe real AIR receiver / transponder, but some time even if we connect it to chart plotter - we want see all on iPad or similar

My real cases:

1) MFD installed infront You just when You steer, but in 90% of case - I sit in cockpit and autopilot do my work :-) And in most case I use iPad connected for my on board network (when I mean WiFi - this is my WiFi permanently installed onboard and connected with all onboard equipment - SeaTalk, NMEA and etc)

2) my son on watch, I sleep in cabin - my Ipad show me all navigation information and/or sound signal to me about change situation like increase wind speed or etc

Regards, Vlad

Good examples of additional uses, Vlad.

FWIW, I see lots of traffic in your screenshot of the AIS display. We have far fewer boats/ships in our immediate vicinity that transmit AIS data... but then we also usually have 3x that much traffic nearby -- the majority by far doesn't transmit AIS.

-Chris
Old 02-08-2013, 10:24   #34

Boat: Bavaria 38
Send a message via Skype™ to Vlad70

all of this vessel commercial - from Gibraltar to Suetz
and this one of most important - why I install Transponder

I include of name of my boat S/Y, after this number of big ships changing course as rules predict - dramatically increase :-)
Vlad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:03   #35

I would also recommend iNAVx, it can be used with quite a lot of iPad based applications, for example wireless NMEA data, which is a great way to get your data onto the iPad as well. It also uses the GPS data, which saves using the iPads which kills the battery.
Deckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:57   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad70 View Post
all of this vessel commercial - from Gibraltar to Suetz
and this one of most important - why I install Transponder

I include of name of my boat S/Y, after this number of big ships changing course as rules predict - dramatically increase :-)
That has been my experience too. +1 for AIS transceivers

Dave
Old 28-11-2013, 21:47   #37

Boat: Still building

OK, so I'm an electronics dunderhead, but reading this and other how tos on You Tube and elsewhere, it strikes me that many of the solutions offered have built in redundancy, which I don't understand.

For example, the DMK Box appears to be a GPS with wifi, and there is a You Tube vid of how to connect this to a Standard Horizon 2120 (with AIS receiver built in) and connect to iPad with iNavX as chartplotter with AIS overlay.

So if the iPad was a 'wifi only' version, this sorta makes sense. But as most these days include built in GPS, doesn't this mean you have two GPS receivers?

Following this thought (my logic) if the iPad has GPS, why can't it be made to talk to the 2120 and give *its* GPS data to the VHF, therefore not needing the "redundant" GPS module in the DMK Box?

Clearly this would need to happen wirelessly, but surely then you would only need a 12vDC wireless router, like a cheap readily available domestic variety router....???

I'm guessing there is some VHF/wifi/GPS *logical* reason why this is not possible, but it looks like a cheaper solution than a stand alone AIS receiver, stand alone GPS, and/or 'mediator' like the DMK Box....let alone a GPS/wifi/AIS like the Vesper XB 8000.

Please respond in words of no more than two syllables, expand acronyms, and assume 5yr old IQ level human interface....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 03:05   #38

Boat: Island Packet 35
Broken iPad = no GPS
SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 04:43   #39

It's been said, but bears repeating. The internet AIS sources (marinetraffic, etc) are really unsuitable for any form of navigation. They are great for seeing what's going on around the world, tracking your friends, etc., but as a navigation tool they simply can't be relied on. Why?

1) They show traffic that is near a randomly located, land-based receiver, not what's near YOU. Real AIS (via VHF) shows what's near YOU, and that's what matters for navigation. That's because with real AIS, the receiver is on your boat, not in some house across town, or in another town somewhat near by.

2) There are significant gaps in coverage. That's because the receivers are located and operated by volunteers, so you have coverage where those enthusiast happen to be located. By way of example, I'm in a very busy commercial port on the east coast, and the only AIS targets that show on Marine Traffic are the biggest boats with very tall antennas. The AIS on my boat easily picks up 10x the number of targets. That's because there is no land-based receiver here. The closest ones are 10-15 miles in either direction. I've been thinking of becoming one of those volunteers and setting up a receiver station which would dramatically change that, but do you really want your "AIS navigation equipment" dependent on me following through on that?

4) The coverage gaps are not just city by city, but exist inside areas that appear to be well covered. I have had numerous occasions where I have been tied up in a port that appears to have great coverage on MarineTraffic, yet my boat and those around me don't show up. It's because there are blocked area where you are shadowed to the land-based receivers. When the receiver is on your boat, not in somebody's house across town or in the next town over, you are FAR FAR more likely to see what's around you.

4) People have mentioned delay, and some people have said there is none. Therein lies the problem. Sometimes there is an additional delay, and sometimes there isn't. You just don't know.

I love MarineTraffic, but it's really important to know what it is and what it isn't. It is not, in any way shape or form, a navigation tool. Using it to navigate is like using the local airport radar, or nearest weather radar to locate hazards near your boat.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 15:18   #40

Boat: Still building

Did I mention 'MarineTraffic'...???

The question referred specifically to the SH 2120 which has a *VHF* AIS receiver built into the radio, but requires a GPS signal from an external source to 'merge' with the AIS data so that locally relevant 'real time' data is provided to the chartplotter (or the screen on the 2120 for that matter).

What is it with people that they insist on pushing their own wheelbarrow rather than either answering a question with a sensible rational response, or simply choosing not to provide any input at all......???

We *know* that a broken iPad means no GPS. Same as a broken Raymarine plotter or GPS antenna means "no GPS" on boats so equipped.....

This is stating the bleedingly obvious. Like, the sun rises in the morning. Or, it's raining, isn't it, or, what a lovely day....

If you have nothing *helpful* to say, please say nothing at all.....

Now, can someone with some *actual* knowledge provide a *helpful* response to my quite reasonable question...???

I'm certain, on the basis of simpe probability, that I am not the only one confused by all this hi-tech mumbo-jumbo..!!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 15:31   #41

Boat: Beneteau 323
MarineTraffic is not useful in the places I want AIS the most. Three to thirty miles offshore at night in highly trafficked areas. Little or no Internet connectivity out there. Unreliable at best.

Marine Traffic is fun toy to watch traffic in your favorite harbor from the comfort of your house.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 15:54   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Did I mention 'MarineTraffic'...??? [...]
No you didn't, but this thread started out with a discussion and warnings about just that very thing.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 15:59   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Did I mention 'MarineTraffic'...???

The question referred specifically to the SH 2120 which has a *VHF* AIS receiver built into the radio, but requires a GPS signal from an external source to 'merge' with the AIS data so that locally relevant 'real time' data is provided to the chartplotter (or the screen on the 2120 for that matter).

What is it with people that they insist on pushing their own wheelbarrow rather than either answering a question with a sensible rational response, or simply choosing not to provide any input at all......???

We *know* that a broken iPad means no GPS. Same as a broken Raymarine plotter or GPS antenna means "no GPS" on boats so equipped.....

This is stating the bleedingly obvious. Like, the sun rises in the morning. Or, it's raining, isn't it, or, what a lovely day....

If you have nothing *helpful* to say, please say nothing at all.....

Now, can someone with some *actual* knowledge provide a *helpful* response to my quite reasonable question...???

I'm certain, on the basis of simpe probability, that I am not the only one confused by all this hi-tech mumbo-jumbo..!!
Not quite sure what answer your searching for.

Firstly the SH radio doesn't Need gps to work as its AIS receive only. The GPS is there to allow the DSC function to operate automatically.

The ipad can operate as a chart-plotter and the NMEA data can be relayed to it by wifi. Assuming you have a NMEA to wifi bridge and appropriate ipad software.

Note that only the cellular version of the ipad has a GPS chip in it. android tablets have more flexibility in that regard , that if you can stomach an inferior product lol.

Currently I don't believe there is a way to use the GPS of an ipad as a feed to the VHF.

Dave
Old 29-11-2013, 16:03   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

That is kind of what happen when you hi-jack a thread with a somewhat related but different question. It is always best to start your own thread. Your question was? Exactly. To your first question, yes, you have two. Sorry I can't help with your other questions.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 17:26   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Firstly the SH radio doesn't Need gps to work as its AIS receive only. The GPS is there to allow the DSC function to operate automatically.

Dave
The MATRIX AIS+ GX2150 will only display AIS target information when connected to a GPS and one VHF antenna.

It needs the GPS to center ownship on the display, as well as calculate tracks, and show ownship's position in relation to AIS targets.

As well as the DCS functions.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, Ipad