Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2021, 20:54   #46

Boat: Beneteau
Re: Advice requested re: navigation apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Huh? We routinely use above 50 deg N (BC north coast)... latitude is not an issue at 50-55 degrees N for these charts/programs.
That's great but which ever system I use there's still a lot of continent in my way if I'm heading to BC. I'm thinking that will show up on all of the systems. Labrador isn't as well represented. It appears that when data was compiled from the original charts it was not well correlated with the GPS and you'll find oftentimes it appears as though you are drifting through the hills.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 07:30   #47

Boat: Sceptre 41

That used to be a real problem here in BC (in the north), but CHS seems to have corrected things.

FYI, there are tons of new depth soundings for Labrador, available as unofficial not-for-navigation "NONNA10" data on the CHS Data Portal. I am using these for poorly charted regions of BC, with Paul Higgin's Sat2chart.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 09:52   #48

Boat: Hunter 410

You guys are making me intensely jealous with your Labrador sailing. I worked up there for about a year, and it is some of the most gorgeous coastline I've ever seen. If you need crew for a cruise up there let me know!
Old 01-03-2021, 06:27   #49

Boat: Rhodes 22

I use iSailGPS on my iPhone - great for the sailing we do.
SpringHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:10   #50

Boat: '99 Hunter 410

I've been using OpenCPN on a small laptop with NOAA charts for the US east coast and NV charts for the Bahamas, and plan to continue with OpenCPN as a secondary system. My PRIMARY nav system now is Aqua Map, due to the incorporation of Waterway Guide Online markers and info, Active Captain markers and info, and US Army Corps of Engineers datum for the ICW. Aqua Map also has Explorer Charts for the Bahamas available, and their chart bundles are reasonably priced.
rfh927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:01   #51

Boat: Alberg 35

I use iNavX mainly, but if you want to try a free one that is in the works, download Argo Nav. It seems to work fine.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:06   #52

I use AquaMap on my tablet and OpenCPN on my laptop. AquaMap has good mapping and combined with the satellite view, it is very helpful. Plus you can have the ActiveCaptain and Waterway detail. Very helpful for route planning or last minutes plan changes.

I think OpenCPN is fantastic. Easy to use, excellent map options. I can’t believe it’s a free app. I use it to create all of my routes and use the export feature to transfer the completed routes to my Chartplotter (Garmin). Route planning and creation really could not be easier. I spend a tenth of the time creating routes compared to when I did it on paper charts, and later on, transferring coordinates to a handheld GPS.

However I still keep paper charts as backup and plan a route now and then to keep that skill honed.
rreid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:31   #53

We've been using Navionics during the past several years for cruising in Maine and Maritime Canada, and have had no problems with accuracy of soundings. Given that some areas of Newfoundland have not been re-surveyed in a very long time, we generally compare the Navionics charts on the chartplotter to the rastor charts on on our laptop Open CPN program (we purchased these charts from the Canadian Government) if we are at all doubtful. In these areas we also overlay radar on the Navionics charts to assure accuracy for navigation. In addition, we also carry paper charts, and use them frequently for course planning.

Regards,
Bob S
limte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:11   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Appreciate you checking in, iNavX
Sure thing.

BTW, the AIS Live service is $99.99/year.

But I just heard that this month it's on sale for $74.99 for anyone interested.
iNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:22   #55

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Not a navionics fan. Don't like the interface. Use iSailor, which also has AIS plugin.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 13:33   #56

Boat: 1976 Islander 36 - Geja

I've used MacENC on my Mac since 2006, and am really happy to see that is has been brought back to life with a recent update. https://www.navstation.net

I want to like OpenCPN, but it handles routes horribly and communicates poorly with my Garmin chartplotter.

I take my iPhone out of my pocket and launch Navionics when in tight quarters.

Those who use any kind of auto-routing features should rethink their approach to sailing.
andrewvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:18   #57

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by limte View Post
We've been using Navionics during the past several years for cruising in Maine and Maritime Canada, and have had no problems with accuracy of soundings. Given that some areas of Newfoundland have not been re-surveyed in a very long time, we generally compare the Navionics charts on the chartplotter to the rastor charts on on our laptop Open CPN program (we purchased these charts from the Canadian Government) if we are at all doubtful. In these areas we also overlay radar on the Navionics charts to assure accuracy for navigation. In addition, we also carry paper charts, and use them frequently for course planning.

Regards,
Bob S
Actually, they have been recently (re) surveyed. Just not yet out on official charts (or resellers such as Navionics. These "non-navigational" NONNA10 depth data are available:

https://data.chs-shc.ca/login

Useful/useable for OpenCPN (via Sat2chart) but not for apps such as Navionics, etc.

https://www.gdayii.ca/Downloads/Sat2Chart.V12.0.1.0.exe
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:44   #58
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

While Navionics is great for some things (detailed sonar for less popular areas, active captain reviews, Canadian charts included), it is not my preference for navigation (I use OpenCPN on Android) because

1) No VMG. For sailors, VMG is useful.
2) While it reads from my NMEA network, I have not been able to get it to send navigation data to my B&G MFDs in the cockpit.
3) OpenCPN let's me download a few days of wind maps, which Navionics doesn't do AFAIK.
4) I too sometimes prefer the raster scan charts.

So I have both Navionics and OpenCPN.
JBP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:41   #59

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Another thing about Navionics is the sounding data appears to be much more detailed than the official charts. Where did they get that more detailed info that as far as I know doesn't exist? I don't think they went out and resurveyed the world. I don't trust it.
The additional sounding data is derived from the community edit function. If your boat is properly set up and you have set up the Navionics program on your plotter to allow community edits, it will upload the sonar information from your boat and add that data to all the other boats that have done the same, and that way it slowly builds up a picture of the seafloor from all the boat data combined (won't just use one boats data for obvious reasons) I personally think it is a great idea and probably the way forward, but I expect there will always be naysayers (luddites) who will disagree
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:48   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice requested re: navigation apps

I use Nimble Navigator on my Asus Notebook and have been for 8yrs and it's guided me across the Pacific, Atlantic, Med and Sea of Marmaris.. easy to use, CM93 charts and updates from time to time as they become available.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, navigation