Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 12:59   #1

Boat: Columbia 8.7
pirate Young Pirate in Need of Advice

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I have recently acquired a 29 ft Columbia 8.7 (year 1977). I am extremely devoted to repairing the boat and have been working nonstop until it is usable. Currently, the boat is on winter storage on land. I hope to be able to put it in the water this summer.

For now I would like as much information and help in terms of how to finance the expenses for keeping a boat during winter and summer storage. I have just graduated with my undergraduate degree from Rutgers in structural engineering. I am only 24 years old and am a bit concerned as to how I will be able to pay for the expenses. If anyone knows of affordable moorings/ slips available near central jersey, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks alot guys. This project has been a work in progress. My father and brothers have always sailed around New England Coast. My father and I have cruised from Texas to New Jersey during High school. He owns a 42 ft Tayana, and I hope to be able to use my sailboat with my friends and be able to sail to destinations to meet my father. Any information will help.
dabomaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 16:07   #2

Re: Young Pirate in Need of Advice

Not shure what you are asking but, get a good job, pay your moorage. Its simple. And remember " you can make a small fortune with a sailboat.....just start with a large fortune.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 19:29   #3

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
pirate Re: Young Pirate in Need of Advice

If you're outfitting your boat for pirating, you're going to need room for your pirate crew to sling their hammocks. You'll need a weapons locker, because you don't want your crew to use their weapons against you take the boat. You'll also want a spirit locker to lock up the rum, because usually the crew gets at the rum, then the weapons, and then you're left marooned on a desert island. As for financing, you typically have to beg, borrow, and steal, until you take a few prizes.

Lastly, remember loose lips sink ships, and dead men tell no tales.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, dabomaman.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:58   #5
Marine Service Provider

The best way to "finance expenses" you ask? Hmmm...hmmm... I am thinking. I would suggest money. Yes, money would definitely help finance expenses. Perhaps you will consider an online investing forum or perhaps a jobs board. There are many ways to Skin a cat so to speak (or a monouhull) and thousands of way to pay for a boat. Have you considered a profession other than piracy? After all, it's illegal in most places-did you see the movie Captain Phillips? You could try inheriance. Did you ask your folks about this? Another method would be the lottery. Have you been to Atlantic City lately? One more option might be a job. It has worked for many. On a more serious note--you are asking about cheap moorings or slips? The cheapest way is using your own anchor and getting on and off by a dinghy--but you knew that, yes? You are an engineering student so use those skills to work on your boat and to get a job. Good luck.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:26   #6

If you're in NJ best way to save on mooring and storage fees is to start sailing east. When you hit some land and realize that you can't afford their docking fees you turn around and sail west. And so on.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:28   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

How to pay for it?
You could get a job.
One work at home option is to strip for the internet. Don't know if you would make enough money for a spring washer.
You could flip burgers if you are too lazy for a job using your degree.
Or sell your boat and then you will have money to maintain it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:42   #8

You just graduated with a degree in structural engineering and you're asking how to make money?
My brother and his wife are both chemical engineers and to find a well paid job, they basically have to remember to keep breathing.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:50   #9

Boat: Columbia 8.7

haha these posts are great guys. Ill definitely remember to keep breathing and consider all options of piracy on the open waters. Yes, I am employed using my degree, but to save money for rent, student loans and graduate school and then consider a 29 ft sailboat with winter and summer storage is a bit much for right now. I was considering foregoing a house on land and just becoming a liveaboard at the the marina. I feel winters will be terrible, but as long as I can sail in the summer, it would be great. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would anyone think I am simply way over my head. Because I certainly feel like it.

Not sure what happened with my previous post but I responded about the expenses. I expect approximately the following break down of costs. I believe central Jersey is super pricey and if people know of more affordable summer storage (mooring ball rather than slip).
Winter Storage: Approx $1100-1200
Summer Mooring: Approx $75 per foot x 29 ft = $2175
Misc yearly repairs: $600-$800

Are these costs accurate? Am I overlooking any obvious expenses? I know storage depends on region, however; if someone knows of any affordable central jersey locations, it could certainly help.
dabomaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:12   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, there's the cost of commuting from the mooring to land if you're going to be working. And the cost of hauling out and bottom painting, which some yards allow you to do and others don't, and that's pretty much annual in NJ. And if the mooring is in a marina or municipal field, they may require liability insurance as well. And the cost of generator or solar power, if you want electricity. The list may grow, it all depends on what you're aiming at.

Also, parrot chow and parrot vet bills. Can't be a pirate without a parrot. And since the government keeps on saying we're "at war", you're more likely to be attacked and need frequent repairs for that damage.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:12   #11

Wow, NJ does sound pricey. Here in MA, in a working man's yard 15 miles from downtown, you get winter storage including fall haulout with wash and spring launch at about $50/ft. Used to be $40-45/ft 10 years ago. Sheeshee places geared toward Hinckleys and such are of course way more expensive. Moorings are either $500-700 to rent per season or about $2000 to buy your own but than you will have to pay for annual inspections, etc. totalling about $200/yr. Harbormaster permit fees are $4-6/ft per year. Town excise taxes would be well under $100 for a 30+ year old 29 footer.

So for your 29 footer you'd be looking at about $2,000-2,500, i.e. no more (and probably much less) than a city sailing club charges for the use of a similar sized boat. So go to MIT for graduate school and cut your boating costs significantly. ))
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:44   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabomaman View Post
I feel winters will be terrible
Tell that to Laura Ingles Wilder or any other young people who made your country what it is by having a bit of gizzard and determination.

It may be character building stuff that they forget to teach you in the hallowed halls of academia

And if hungry don't you just cut a hole in the ice and fish through it??

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
If you're outfitting your boat for pirating, you're going to need room for your pirate crew to sling their hammocks. You'll need a weapons locker, because you don't want your crew to use their weapons against you take the boat. You'll also want a spirit locker to lock up the rum, because usually the crew gets at the rum, then the weapons, and then you're left marooned on a desert island. As for financing, you typically have to beg, borrow, and steal, until you take a few prizes.

Lastly, remember loose lips sink ships, and dead men tell no tales.
Best reply ever
edselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:06   #14

Had to throw this in here. My sailing partner Salsa a salmon crested cockatoo. Loves sailing and loves going hiking in the woods.

Andy

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431356711950.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	101827  
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:05   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Around here, if you don't want to pay the high dockage fees, you can keep your boat on the hook. Its a pain, but its cheap. If you can find someplace to anchor, thats really safe, that'll save you some serious money. Spend a little on a huge anchor and make your own mooring ball. One season of dock fees would easily pay for a modest dinghy and outboard.

But the bottom line is...sailing aint cheap. Actually, I'm wrong, the sailing is very cheap, its the storage of the boat when you aren't using it thats really expensive.

You've got a good education. Use it. Get a job and pay the bills. Save some bucks by living on your boat instead of renting a land based apartment.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote