Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 19:49   #31

Re: Young Pirate in Need of Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREX View Post
I don't know family van? My dad was an engineer for Bell labs. Worked a lot of his career doing things for the moon shots through the 50's, 60,70...and he could both design and build anything. Besides trailers are pretty simple. Probably can get a blueprint online from some trailer outfit, fee of course. He's young and going towards the right side of living. When a fellow sailor asks for help, I believe in giving what I can. Sarcasm is fun and all, but I think he's really trying to reach out so he can live,learn,earn and move forward. But on your point I've met some real bonehead engineers and scientists. Fair winds brother.
I've been wrong before. Poor form for me to speak in absolutes.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 19:50   #32

Boat: Columbia 8.7

I would agree with you familyvan but everyone is a bit different. Three generations of structural and mechanical engineers and not once have we called a mechanic to fix five cars three boats and three houses. I hope one day to construct a hull out of welded wire and concrete but I would most likely leave the design for a professional fluids engineer/designer.

And to be honest I feel sailorboy1 has a very valid point. Yes, I am idealistic and really want to achieve everything at once. This can be bad and patience is a virtue. but I also feel that a liveaboard is manageable for a few years and would be the most economical as well! Inviting friends over and commuting to work would be tiresome, but hell ill be sailing may through October!

Crex. Great response. Never ever considered trailing. My boat too weighs approx 8500 lbs. If I could find a comfortable location to store I will definitely consider.

Awesome advice mates
dabomaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 19:58   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabomaman View Post
I would agree with you familyvan but everyone is a bit different. Three generations of structural and mechanical engineers and not once have we called a mechanic to fix five cars three boats and three houses. I hope one day to construct a hull out of welded wire and concrete but I would most likely leave the design for a professional fluids engineer/designer.

And to be honest I feel sailorboy1 has a very valid point. Yes, I am idealistic and really want to achieve everything at once. This can be bad and patience is a virtue. but I also feel that a liveaboard is manageable for a few years and would be the most economical as well! Inviting friends over and commuting to work would be tiresome, but hell ill be sailing may through October!

Crex. Great response. Never ever considered trailing. My boat too weighs approx 8500 lbs. If I could find a comfortable location to store I will definitely consider.

Awesome advice mates
CREX, corrected me very well. Many engineers (and doctors etc.) Are very well rounded. I retract my statement.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 20:00   #34

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha,

Keep the dream and make it work for you. I kind of get the feeling that the other people who have posted here just don't understand that there just plain is no excuse for being young and without the benefit of an old man or woman's experiences.

Hang in there and you'll sort it out when the chips are down. Then you'll get to post to young sailors using an all knowing grumpy attitude.
Old 11-05-2015, 20:27   #35

Well at the same time I can't imagine being in a position to take the time later on. I mean after six years of school my career would just be beginning. And I do have ambitions to settle so I just need to weigh my options with my goals over time.

I went to school with many engineers that signed up for job security. They certainly did not have as much enthusiasm in as much subject matter as others. Similar to many fields
Old 11-05-2015, 20:36   #36

1. Google Pirate and learn what scum bag killers they were.

2. Drop Pirate from your resume.

3. Use your education to your advantage.

4. Take with a grain of salt any "advice" you receive on the internet.

5. Carry on.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 20:45   #37

Hey not allll pirates were bad. Francis drake saved england and dutch pirates saved Holland. Most were scum

Def am going to use all the tools on the belt
Old 11-05-2015, 20:58   #38

Boat: fountaine pajot athena 38

If your still looking for a reasons

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 21:00   #39

Boat: fountaine pajot athena 38

If your still looking fot a reasonable liveaboard marina try Morgan Marina in South Amboy

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:28   #40

Boat: Columbia 8.7 (29')

Congratulations. You've got one of the most deserving boats (Columbia 8.7) to keep alive. I've been doing it with mine for the last 30 years. I've lived aboard for a couple of spates (a way to save some on the money) and have probably redone every part of her over the years. I bought her in '88 and then sold her to a friend when I went into the graduate program. After thought about her often and finally asked my friend if he thought of selling her. He said yes and we made a deal. Basically he had let her sink at the pier, though only a few feet in the cabin but the motor was seized. Pulled the wet moldy stuff out of the lockers, had the engine taken out and rebuilt and proceeded to sail her all over the coast. Take care of any leaks around windows and through hulls and she should live longer than you. One of the most comfortable and forgiving boats I've owned (12-15). Land costs are another matter.
patn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:23   #41

Patn44...So I am under the impression that it must have been very difficult to maintain the sailboat while going into graduate school. I certainly feel that way and i think best possible scenario is the money i spend on rent now would be used for storage fees on the boat, basically no net change of expenses.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:34   #42
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't really understand why grad school is talked about like it stops life or something. I did it while working full time and having a family to maintain and bet lots of people do the same.

But if you are basically trying to decide which is more important, keeping a little replaceable boat or investing in your life, well
Old 12-05-2015, 07:34   #43

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I probably save over $2,000/mo by getting rid of my apartment and living onboard. Our moorage is more like $250-350. Many moons ago I got my BS and got a corporate job... then I used the company education benefit to finance my Grad degree.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:44   #44

Certainly an inspiration. I need to save money now and moving aboard with save me about 500 bucks a month on just rent. Certainly looking into it
Old 13-05-2015, 14:18   #45

blackwaterpyrates.com has a sailing group. By the way, they are not a Madi Gras crew..... Just ask to get added onto their sailing email list to find out what is going on in the world of gulf coast sailing.
Blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote