Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 06:39   #1

xyz

Welcome to XYZ Anchor website

Anyone have any experience with xyz anchors? While it looks and sounds very promising I'm wondering if it would even fit on my current bow roller. My Bruce sits like it was made for the 25D's roller. And I must have my primary anchor ready to go on the bow roller...

I found their web page while researching tandem anchoring.

I currently carry a 22lb and a 16.5lb Bruce.. I like the fact that the xyz can be taken apart if need be for storage purposes..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:06   #2

Boat: C&C 27
Randy,
I looked at the xyz but decided to get another bruce. If you sell your 22 let me know.
thanks
pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 15:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Randy,
I looked at the xyz but decided to get another bruce. If you sell your 22 let me know.
thanks
pv

Hi PV:

I really don't plan to get rid of my 22lb Bruce.. rather I'm looking at getting a variety of anchors..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 05-02-2008, 18:23   #4

Boat: C&C 27
I would be doing the same. You just have to be diligent looking for the smaller bruces. No one seems to want to let them go.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 00:32   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I looked at their video and it is typical of the kinds of demonstrations I see with all these new anchor manufacturers...pulling the anchor down a beach in wet sand level pull to the anchor. Not a real type of condition. Maybe if my boat was on a sea floor and I was kedging off onto the beach would this be a fair demonstration.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I looked at their video and it is typical of the kinds of demonstrations I see with all these new anchor manufacturers...pulling the anchor down a beach in wet sand level pull to the anchor. Not a real type of condition. Maybe if my boat was on a sea floor and I was kedging off onto the beach would this be a fair demonstration.
I agree 100%. How hard would it be to station cameras on the bottom and record real world conditions? When I first used my Bruce is sat on the bottom as my wife set the anchor and then did a 180 shift to try and dislodge the Bruce. It just pivoted IN the bottom and dug deeper. I WAS SOLD!! For me, besides the ability to set fast and hold under a good amount of strain, an anchor's ability to cope with a 180 degree wind shift is of utmost importance. Prior to buying my two Bruces I used Danforths and THREE times storms with 180 wind shifts put me on a beach... I'll never sleep anchored to a Danforth again. So far the Bruce has preformed flawlessly. BUT and this is the big but, eventually I expect to find a bottom that my Bruces don't like and am looking for something that will set and hold in those cases.

Thanks for keeping this thread about XYZ anchors.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 06-02-2008, 22:20   #7
Marine Service Provider

Don't know about the XYZ. Haven't had a play with one. I've had a chat with the maker and he is, obviously, quite a fan and not a silly bloke. The anchor seems to be targeted more at soft bottoms. Not sure how it would go in a hard bottom.

I'd be very keen to have a closer look though. Drago does seem to be coming at the exercise from a very different direction than most. He may just be right. I'm sure time will tell.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote