Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 10:26   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to wackerb
Re: Wireless controller for my windlass

I had a control unit fail probably from salt air. Since then I spray the controller boards with clear lacquer. I love the $15 Amazon units.
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 13:23   #32

pirate Re: Wireless controller for my windlass

This forum is filled with folks who can only sail with GADGETS. Someday, all these gadgets WILL fail. Why not learn how to sail a boat without gadgets? THEN add on gadgets? You will be amazed at your increase in confidence, and you might avoid being a statistic!
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 23:19   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I never pulled the failed units apart, but I strongly suspected the back EMF from the contractor was the likely cause of failure. Unfortunately, this will rise as the size of the windlass and therefore the windlass control box increases, hence my more frequent failures.

Congratulations on fixing the problem. The fix was likely more expensive than the original unit , but the anchor windlass is an important bit of equipment that needs to be functioning well.

A backup switching system, such as a wired remote, is always a good idea, but I much prefer using the wireless remote and there are times when failure would be more than just annoying. Therefore this would be a worthwhile modification, especially for those with a larger windlass.
Have you tried fitting fly back diodes? Cheap to try and should protect the small relays from the back end.
paul2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 00:05   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2884 View Post
Have you tried fitting fly back diodes? Cheap to try and should protect the small relays from the back end.
I think this would have likely solved most of the reliability problem when using these units on my larger windlass, but given the other issues, I wanted a better solution.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:55   #35

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
This forum is filled with folks who can only sail with GADGETS. Someday, all these gadgets WILL fail. Why not learn how to sail a boat without gadgets? THEN add on gadgets? You will be amazed at your increase in confidence, and you might avoid being a statistic!
Everything in your life is an invention, at one time a newfangled gadget. Ropes, sails, blocks, an oar to steer a boat. A compass, binoculars, even glasses to help see better.

Why are you using a computer and a telecommunications network to access another computer at some unknown location? It's just more gadgets.

Without "gadgets" we would still be naked eating berries and grubs and living a third of the time that we do, if we were lucky.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 19:55   #36

Boat: Passport 42

Anybody purchased the Lofrans Thetis 7003?
Keen to get some feedback as we are at the cusp of buying either the wireless 7003 or wired 5003
ozzieKochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:38   #37

Boat: Camano Troll

Since you will be at the bow anyway, why would a wireless windlass controller be any better than the good old, reliable, hard wired foot switches?
Old 11-08-2021, 13:10   #38

Boat: Passport 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Since you will be at the bow anyway, why would a wireless windlass controller be any better than the good old, reliable, hard wired foot switches?

We have foot switches which give us the good old reliable hard wired capability already.
Both the Lofrans Thetis 5003 and 7003 have built in chain counters, the hard wired 5003 requires an additional (albeit smallish) hole, which could be another moisture egress point.
ozzieKochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 14:17   #39

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
on our boat we have a wireless remote because ;

1. you cannot see over the bow from where it is necessary to locate the foot switches

2. when i am single handing it is sometimes necessary to operate the anchor winch from various locations (when trying to do multiple tasks simultaneously)

no doubt other boats have other reasons as well...

cheers,
Old 11-08-2021, 14:24   #40

Boat: Outremer 50S

We went to a wireless remote/controller because the wired one wasn't reliable

Constantly having to fiddle with the wiring/contacts. Put in a wireless and it worked so we took out the wired remote. We do still have a hardwired, permanently fixed control at the helm.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 16:58   #41

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
on our boat we have a wireless remote because ;

1. you cannot see over the bow from where it is necessary to locate the foot switches

2. when i am single handing it is sometimes necessary to operate the anchor winch from various locations (when trying to do multiple tasks simultaneously)

no doubt other boats have other reasons as well...

cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
We went to a wireless remote/controller because the wired one wasn't reliable

Constantly having to fiddle with the wiring/contacts. Put in a wireless and it worked so we took out the wired remote. We do still have a hardwired, permanently fixed control at the helm.
We have had wireless for the last 15-20 years. We also have corded controls as backup. No foot switches because I have an aversion to drilling any more holes in the deck than are absolutely necessary.

Why wireless? You can operate the windlass from anywhere on deck. This is especially important when anchoring in strong wind or current, or in a crowded anchorage. I set up the anchor to fall off the roller, position where I want and drop while still in control at the helm. After letting out some chain I can casually walk forward while still playing out chain. Once forward I can use the chain markings to put down the desired scope and attach the snubber with the freedom of movement that foot pedals or wired control can't provide.

Same is true for retrieving the anchor. I can be at the helm controlling the boat and pulling up chain. We have better visibility from the side deck and a big steering wheel. I can be on the side deck, steer the boat and raise the chain simultaneously.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 18:08   #42

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

I bought one of the cheap $15 winch controllers off of ebay. im not going to lie it looked cheap, however i have been fairly impressed with it, it has worked well. remote control works everywhere on the boat inside and outside, and from a couple docks away (42' boat). never seen any loss of signal. funky sized batteries.

i bought a 6x6" waterproof electrical box at home depot, installed a terminal strip inside and ran all the wiring and foot switch wiring inside. connected the winch controller inside and closed the box. works good

ill tell you what i told myself when i bought it. buy one and test it out, worse case your out $15. if it works then you can buy a couple spares and still be $400 ahead if you had bought one of the marine ones.
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:57   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanviking View Post
I bought one of the cheap $15 winch controllers off of ebay. im not going to lie it looked cheap, however i have been fairly impressed with it, it has worked well. remote control works everywhere on the boat inside and outside, and from a couple docks away (42' boat). never seen any loss of signal. funky sized batteries.

i bought a 6x6" waterproof electrical box at home depot, installed a terminal strip inside and ran all the wiring and foot switch wiring inside. connected the winch controller inside and closed the box. works good

ill tell you what i told myself when i bought it. buy one and test it out, worse case your out $15. if it works then you can buy a couple spares and still be $400 ahead if you had bought one of the marine ones.

Yes I have a 433mhz module going to fit it into a Quick anchor windlass handheld unit and the receiver in a water proof box
Old 20-01-2022, 19:31   #44

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
Interesting thread. What I would need if sailing solo would be a remote engine control, so I could operate the throttle & gearbox from the bow while using the windlass foot button & watching the chain. And I would also need a remote for my autopilot - which I guess is easy these days...
I think I will stick to having a crew, as long as I can get one for pottering around.
Yacht Controller makes these. See https://www.yachtcontroller.com/dual-band. I'm not sure how this integrates with the throttle, though.
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 16:12   #45

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Dragging out an old one hoping someone who knows will respond.

We have had one for 5 years, anchor daily with a 3500 windlass 24v
Today black box died, find it hard to believe both remotes crapped out

Jumps on eBay and for the life of me, can't find a 24v variant in Oz (fast delivery) but find them in China, 12v, 24v and 12/24v

Ours has a definate 24v sticker but my question is....
Are they all 12v/24v and is it just some legislation that says in Oz they must be marked either or?

If so and a 12v also works on 24v I can have one in under a week vs China, a month or 3 and we won't be around to get it (heading north)
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass