Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2022, 11:25   #1

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Windlass upgrade

When we bought our boat(42' catamaran, listed as 16,500#) in 2019 the windlass and chain were completely shot. I bought new from the local Marine supply, a very reputable place, and bought what was in stock. Unfortunately it feels very undersized now that we have been out cruising for 3 years. To be fair though I knew little about what I needed and this was on Lake Ontario, so he stocked what was relevant to boat size there.
It is a lewmar pro 1000.
The chain is 5/16 grade 43, which has had a quality issue with premature rusting and possible deformation. The Marine supply refunded the full amount(see, reputable place)
I like the chain size, and strength, and plan to stick with it(buying new though). But want to upgrade to a better/stronger windlass. So I would love to get opinions and stories of different brands. Ideally in the size range I'm looking at, but all stories are welcome.
I am wired for a 1000 watt windlass, so I don't want to exceed that. And because it is bound to be asked[emoji16] our anchor is a spade s120, which is 55#
Thanks
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 11:47   #2

Re: Windlass upgrade

How is the chain storage arranged? Depth of cavity etc. I ask because my cat had shallow storage and I had to have a Horizontal windlass. I much prefer vertical windlasses...

What was "shot" about your windlass?

I'd get a Maxwell 1000 VW if it works/fits.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 12:30   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

How much chain are you planning on carrying and how heavy an anchor? The Pro 1000 might be an adequate windlass depending on total ground tackle weight. That was going to be my pick (partly because they're fast) until I got a good deal on a Maxwell HRC10-8 (which has been great).

They list a working load of 250 lbs (1/4 of max pull) which should be plenty conservative. A 75 lb anchor and 175 feet of 5/16 G43 should just hit that. If you want more chain you'd only be risking going over the working load if you tried to retrieve it in water over 175 feet deep (and even then, only for the first bit of pull).

After looking at those numbers I'd probably keep the windlass if it's working well and not struggling to retrieve your gear in deeper anchorages.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 12:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
How is the chain storage arranged? Depth of cavity etc. I ask because my cat had shallow storage and I had to have a Horizontal windlass. I much prefer vertical windlasses...

What was "shot" about your windlass?

I'd get a Maxwell 1000 VW if it works/fits.
Good questions, chain storage is shallow and wide. I'm pretty limited to horizontal as well. The original windlass and chain setup... Chain was very rusted and a solid block in sections. I decided to upgrade to g 43 so tried to change the gypsy. At that point all the bolts holding the windlass together basically fell out. The female side(in the housing) were completely corroded.
I found a picture of the original, from when we bought itClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1553.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	257790
Old 15-05-2022, 12:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Good questions, chain storage is shallow and wide. I'm pretty limited to horizontal as well. The original windlass and chain setup... Chain was very rusted and a solid block in sections. I decided to upgrade to g 43 so tried to change the gypsy. At that point all the bolts holding the windlass together basically fell out. The female side(in the housing) were completely corroded.
I found a picture of the original, from when we bought itAttachment 257790
At least your chain goes below somewhere! The chain in my locker went right under the windlass inside the windlass locker. I had to push the stack over about 3 times for 100 ft retrieval! or it would jam up badly. Or is yours like that?
I'd probably get the anodized, not painted, or SS housed Horizontal windlass.

I put a Maxwell vertical for a monohull bow locker by cutting the lid to fit nicely around the windlass, mounting it higher with more room under. Had to make a sturdy bracket to raise it up but it worked very well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 12:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
How much chain are you planning on carrying and how heavy an anchor? The Pro 1000 might be an adequate windlass depending on total ground tackle weight. That was going to be my pick (partly because they're fast) until I got a good deal on a Maxwell HRC10-8 (which has been great).

They list a working load of 250 lbs (1/4 of max pull) which should be plenty conservative. A 75 lb anchor and 175 feet of 5/16 G43 should just hit that. If you want more chain you'd only be risking going over the working load if you tried to retrieve it in water over 175 feet deep (and even then, only for the first bit of pull).

After looking at those numbers I'd probably keep the windlass if it's working well and not struggling to retrieve your gear in deeper anchorages.
55 lb anchor. Rarely do we have more than 50' of chain hanging, Usually under 20'. Total chain out is typically 70-100'.
It has worked for 3 years and does work, but we have tripped the breaker a few times recently. I do believe it was more related to the problem with the chain. That story is basically the chain wasn't going thru the gypsy well anymore and appeared to be twisted. When we stretched the chain out straight, keeping the links aligned, it still had a strange twist to it. When we lined up the links to the gypsy, they no longer matched. We had 280' total and only ever used the first 150'. So we cut that off and the remaining chain fits the gypsy perfectly.
The windlass does work, and on paper is adequate. However as we spend 8-10 months a year on anchor it feels like we should move past "adequate" to "damn good"
Plus we are in Florida right now and is a good time to both purchase a new one, and be able to sell the current one
Looks like I need to research Maxwell a bit
Thanks
Old 15-05-2022, 12:54   #7

For the breaker trips, I always try to keep the clutch on my windlass adjusted so it'll slip before the motor stalls or the breaker trips. That way I can see if I'm pulling too hard and readjust without tripping the breaker and having to go below for a reset.

Interestingly, my 1000w Maxwell windlass specs a 135A breaker. I remember the Lewmar wanting something smaller, so it may be a bit on the easy to trip side of things if you work the windlass hard.
Old 15-05-2022, 12:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
At least your chain goes below somewhere! The chain in my locker went right under the windlass inside the windlass locker. I had to push the stack over about 3 times for 100 ft retrieval! or it would jam up badly. Or is yours like that?
I'd probably get the anodized, not painted, or SS housed Horizontal windlass.

I put a Maxwell vertical for a monohull bow locker by cutting the lid to fit nicely around the windlass, mounting it higher with more room under. Had to make a sturdy bracket to raise it up but it worked very well.
That's exactly how our chain is. Right under the windlass base is a small sloped area. Every 40-50' of chain we have to climb in and push it over.
The bigger area beside is where we can store excess chain, bridle, ect.
I've thought about mounting a vertical thru the hatch and removing that ledge to give more chain room. The problem is the self tacking jib would catch on it. So stuck with horizontal.
I will look into the Maxwell brand
Old 15-05-2022, 13:42   #9

Quote:
For the breaker trips, I always try to keep the clutch on my windlass adjusted so it'll slip before the motor stalls or the breaker trips. That way I can see if I'm pulling too hard and readjust without tripping the breaker and having to go below for a reset.

Interestingly, my 1000w Maxwell windlass specs a 135A breaker. I remember the Lewmar wanting something smaller, so it may be a bit on the easy to trip side of things if you work the windlass hard.
The HRC 10-8 claims it works with all 5/16 chain. I've never seen that before. What chain do you use, and how has your experience been with it?
Off of defenders site it also lists it as an 85 amp draw, which seems in line with 1000 watt. I'm curious about yours having a 135 amp breaker. That does seem odd
Old 15-05-2022, 14:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
The HRC 10-8 claims it works with all 5/16 chain. I've never seen that before. What chain do you use, and how has your experience been with it?
Off of defenders site it also lists it as an 85 amp draw, which seems in line with 1000 watt. I'm curious about yours having a 135 amp breaker. That does seem odd
Normal draw under load is in line with the 1000w rating. I'm guessing they consider it to have enough short term overload capacity to recommend the 135A breaker in the manual (same is recommended for the version of the HRC10 with a 1200w motor).

I'm using Acco 5/16 G43 spliced to 5/8" 8 plait nylon. It's worked well including the transition at the splice for the last few seasons since I installed it.
Old 15-05-2022, 18:28   #11

Quote:
Normal draw under load is in line with the 1000w rating. I'm guessing they consider it to have enough short term overload capacity to recommend the 135A breaker in the manual (same is recommended for the version of the HRC10 with a 1200w motor).

I'm using Acco 5/16 G43 spliced to 5/8" 8 plait nylon. It's worked well including the transition at the splice for the last few seasons since I installed it.
Excellent info, thank you.
Old 15-05-2022, 19:01   #12

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

To discourage rusty chain, line the bottom of the locker with Dri-dek or the like.

I used "the like" but can't remember what it was.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass