Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 06:57   #61

Re: Windlass replacement?.... manual or electric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbartley View Post
Well, to wrap up the thread, looks like my current electric windlass is better shape than I thought, and only requires some tweaking on wiring. Sooo, the options to consider a replacement are now a moot point. Thanks anyway for the education on options. I'm sure it will come in handy some day!
Well, I had actually missed this post before I replied. Glad it worked out.
Old 23-04-2019, 22:20   #62

I have a Maxwell VO700SR windless.It slips when raising the anchor.Does it
have a clutch to adjust for more tension?
ellieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 03:17   #63

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Again, sorry for the thread drift.

We did not get the band brake. We decided to wait until we install to see what we wanted to do. Our old one is unidirectional, but we think we can use the old relay, and then add the new relay near the windlass to make it bidirectional. This will happen in a few weeks. A band brake is not necessary for unidirectional use, but you have to have the handle on deck. That's my understanding talking to Maxwell.

P.S. I passed up on a NIB 2500 a few weeks ago at a nautical flea market in Houston for $1200. It would have required new holes, and I hate new holes.
Oh OK, I understand. I found it interesting that the 3500 has almost similar dimensions to the 2500.i think the gearbox was the only difference if I remember correctly. The wildcat and capstan are I believe the same size because I thought maybe I could retrofit the brake on ours if needed later on. That was a great price for the 2500! But yes more holes is not ideal.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 05:04   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellieone View Post
I have a Maxwell VO700SR windless.It slips when raising the anchor.Does it
have a clutch to adjust for more tension?
I had a Maxwell 770. You twisted the end cap (it had a knurled edge) of the capstain part of it to lock and unlock the chain gypsy wheel from the shaft (it had no effect on the capstan which always stayed locked to the shaft) . If you didn’t tighten it up enough (and, it took a good grip to tighten it up securely) , the gypsy would slip under load. I don’t know if your model is the same.
Old 24-04-2019, 11:54   #65

I think one difference in Electric or manual is getting the anchor up in a blow. It's a reality sometimes, you drag and have to move or have to vacate the anchorage entirely.
With electric you can motor/surge forward with the bow pitching up and down, get chain up fast and continue doing that. With a manual you get a couple quick cranks only between surges which may be 1-1.5 ft of chain.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 06:33   #66

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbartley View Post
I ... am in pretty good physical condition (for a 63 year old), so I lean toward a manual solution....
Yes, but you're not getting younger and stronger (unless you know something I don't). I'm 70 this July and I could still work a manual windlass if I had to. But I'd rather not, especially on those occasions when I have to make a couple of attempts to make the hook stick.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 06:54   #67

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

Just went through decision. In 5 years you’ll be 68. So hauling the anchor doesn’t get any easier. After having a nice bronze manual windlass on my boats since 40 years ago I finally went electric.

You will be more likely to move more and re anchor in case you miss placing yourself in a crowded anchorage. Also if you anchor and can’t get a good bite and need to haul and re anchor.

You need to start looking at options that will allow you to keep sailing as you age.

I went with a Lofrans Kobra.
seacap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 07:29   #68

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

We had a 555 for years then replaced with Lofrans 1500 watt
Many pros and cons but on balance I prefer the manual

If comparing costs be sure to allow for ALL the electrics Also forget buttons on the deck or plug in wired controllers and use a garage door opener wireless
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 07:53   #69

JS, I have used a SL 555 manual on my 48 ft cat (10 GWT) since 2008 across the Pacific. Got it for $200 In Mexico. Parts & spare gypsy easily available from slspares.com in Scotland. I have a 37kg Rocna on 3/8 chain. I anchor in 15-50 ft water, no problem. I am a fit 74 year old. My 5 ft Filipino wife has no problem cranking up anchor either. Presently sailing in SE Asia. If you want more specific info, email me at revandill@yahoo.com.
CATJAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 09:24   #70

Boat: Custom Steel Cutter, 40Ft
Thumbs up Re: Windlass replacement?.... manual or electric?

Go manual! You wont be posting this again in 20 years. Electric motors + salt water = problems. My 40 yo manual works perfectly. In the 17 years that I have owned the boat, I serviced it once, and it did not need it. Plus, the exercise is good for you and think of all the beer money you'll get when you bring those old 1/0 cables to the scrap yard!
keelbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 14:58   #71

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Yes, but you're not getting younger and stronger (unless you know something I don't). I'm 70 this July and I could still work a manual windlass if I had to. But I'd rather not, especially on those occasions when I have to make a couple of attempts to make the hook stick.
It’s true a manual windlass takes more physical effort. But it’s like using any proper-sized winch — it’s designed to make the job a lot easier. Cranking on a manual windlass (that is properly sized for the gear) doesn’t take much brute strength. It does take a bit of stamina I suppose. But honestly … it’s not that hard.

At some point age catches up to most of us. But if you can still operate a manual cockpit winch, then a manual windlass should be no different.

Tags
electric, men, wind, windlass