Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 17:46   #1

Windlass Remote at Helm

I have a Lofrans Progress II windlass on a 38 footer. I have the usual foot switches at the bow for up and down. I am wondering if it is a good idea to install an up/down switch at the helm. The wiring has already been run so hooking up the switch would be easy. Does anyone have this arrangement on their boat? Is it a help? The anchor will not self launch so I would have to be on the bow to get it going initially. Retrieving, I often want to wash the mud off, which of course requires me to be on the bow. I am also concerned about the snubbing load on the windlass shaft when I am at the helm.
Your thoughts.
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 17:54   #2

helm controlled windlass is a good thing. regardless as to what you have to do at the windlass, its worth its weight in gold.
pre launch the anchor prior to engaging the 'down' on the windlass.
retriving a mud/sand crusted windlass can be cleaned by dangling the anchor for a short ride before putting it to bed.
Catkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 17:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

They are great.... as for washing the hook... don't haul it all in and trail it as you head out at a couple of knots... then switch on the pilot and stroll forward to 'tidy up'.... I loved my set-up to bits.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 18:00   #4

I had a helm switch on an old boat and I liked it a lot. I want to be at the bow to set but to be able to retrive from the helm was great!
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 18:18   #5
Eternal Member

I single-hand a 42' sloop quite often. The remote windlass switch at the helm is a blessing. Used correctly, it will save your bacon time after time.

Anchoring: Decide where you want to drop the hook. Long before you get there, go up on the bow and cock the anchor over the bow roller, manually or with the down switch letting out just enough chain to hold it at an angle which will allow it to drop when the windlass unwinds. Slowly approach the spot you want to drop it. Come to a complete stop and begin to move backwards. Drop the anchor using the remote switch at the helm and let it run out until you have at least 3:1 scope before taking any strain on it. Make sure it's well set. From the bow, finish up and secure the anchor chain with an appropriate nylon bridle.

Raising anchor: The trick is to work the boat up until it's directly over the anchor, taking in chain as you go. This is best done from the bow, using the foot switches if there's no wind or very little wind. Slowly take in the rode using the windlass to pull the boat forward. Do this in steps...don't try to do it all at once. Don't put any real strain on the anchor rode; allow the boat to come up towards the anchor and take in as much chain as you easily can.

If there's a lot of wind or a healthy chop, you'll likely need the motor to work up over the anchor. If single handing, this involves juggling a bit....using the engine to power forward toward the anchor, taking in some chain as you go, putting the anchor in neutral and quickly going up to the bow to use the foot switch to take in as much chain as is easily recoverable. You may need to do this a few times, until the boat is directly over the anchor. Then, use the engine gently in forward gear to break the anchor free of the bottom. Once it's free, use the windlass to pull in the remaining rode and anchor.

The remote switch in the cockpit makes all this much easier because you have control of both the boat/engine and the windlass.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 20:36   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I set mine up that way....I love it.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 21:02   #7

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
I have plans to install such a switch, but I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have a switch at windlass to disable the helm switch.

If I were at the windlass, I'd want to make sure the windlass wasn't switched on accidently. In spite of the possibility that the helm switch might be left disabled when I didn't mean it to be. I have a real respect for the hazzard a windlass can pose.

Has anyone done this ?
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 21:04   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan3820 View Post
Does anyone have this arrangement on their boat?
I've noticed that this is a common setup on large powerboats, but far less prevalent on comparable sailboats.

Not willing to speculate on why this is the case.
Old 08-02-2011, 21:17   #9

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
I had this arrangement, but I generally attended to the anchor from the bow.
If/when you drag anchor, having the remote in the cockpit can save considerable anguish. when you singlehand.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 22:10   #10

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. In addition to the cockpit & deck capability, I have also installed a hand held remote switch and use them depending upon the anchoring situation at hand. I also have a separate switch, as ggray discussed, that has to be on for any of the various switches to operate the windlass for safety reasons. All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 22:15   #11

Useless. Stop the boat. Walk to the bow. Lower the anchor. Walk back aft. Pour a drink.

That's the singlehanded routine. With one more hand aboard someone else can be making the drinks. What problem are we trying to solve with a switch at the helm?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 00:56   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
I have a lofrans windlass as well and fitted a garage door remote to it. Very cheap upgrade and works a treat, remote on a lanyard round your neck and you can use the windlass from anywhere. Very useful at the helm to keep the boat head to wind while lifting the anchor or dropping it solo. Handy to lift the dinghy using the windlass as well.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 00:57   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Useless. Stop the boat. Walk to the bow. Lower the anchor. Walk back aft. Pour a drink.

That's the singlehanded routine. With one more hand aboard someone else can be making the drinks. What problem are we trying to solve with a switch at the helm?
G'Day Daddle,

Well, likely not too much of a problem when dropping the anchor as you say, but now it's the next morning... blowing 30 kts... some jerk has anchored very close behind you... you go to the bow, get the hook, run back over your oh-so-uncluttered decks and arrive at the helm just in time to see your sugar scoop split by the jerks' bow as you gather sternway. Yes, with some thought and skill you can avoid this situation, but the cockpit switch sure would make a favorable outcome more likely!

I'd like to add this feature to I-2!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-02-2011, 07:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, likely not too much of a problem when dropping the anchor as you say, but now it's the next morning... blowing 30 kts... some jerk has anchored very close behind you... you go to the bow, get the hook, run back over your oh-so-uncluttered decks and arrive at the helm just in time to see your sugar scoop split by the jerks' bow as you gather sternway. Yes, with some thought and skill you can avoid this situation, but the cockpit switch sure would make a favorable outcome more likely!
Jim, yes I suppose you have described the one situation where one would want a helm switch. (Personally, I'd crawl back into the bunk). And you are correct that the uncluttered decks enable the frightful dash to the helm. Normally the bow falls off to enable the collision to be on the beam-ends.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 16:41   #15

Thanks everyone!
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, windlass