Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 03:54   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Windlass Recovery Load Rating

Now that I believe I have my windlass fixed I want to look into increasing my chain length from the 20' that the boat came with.

According to my windlass manual the "recovery load" which I take as the rated lift, is 100 lbs. This doesn't leave much after my 60 lb anchor to allow for chain.

Could this really be correct that I need to plan on being in not more than 40' of water to stay within the 100 lb lift limit?
Old 30-08-2011, 05:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Windlass recovery load rating

What make & model windlass?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:12   #3
CLOD

It's a Simpson Lawrence Sprint Atlantic. I thought I checked the manual on my boat earlier in the year before getting the 60# anchor and it said it would lift like 650#. But during my recent problem I came across another manual and it says 100# "recovery lift".
Old 30-08-2011, 10:31   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

What was your recent problem?

It would be easy to test your windlasses capacity for more chain--just add more weight, say try another 50# anchor, and see how she works.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:45   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
It's a Simpson Lawrence Sprint Atlantic. I thought I checked the manual on my boat earlier in the year before getting the 60# anchor and it said it would lift like 650#. But during my recent problem I came across another manual and it says 100# "recovery lift".
Do not mistake "Typical Working Figures" for "Maximum Pull". Even the Sprint 4 has a Maximum pull rating of 600# for chain in the gypsey or 715# for rope in the gypsey. See sprintatlantic_4.jpg and I suspect your windlass may be the Sprint 6 on the larger yacht.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:02   #6
CLOD

Re: Windlass Recovery Load Rating

So I'm back to looking a this lift rating question. Did a web search and the second result was a question by me so That looks like a dead end.

Guess I could go to a smaller anchor; NOT! Going to stay with my over-sized anchor and will change the rode to all chain. That's a given and in the end if it means a new windlass I see it as a better use of money than a lot of other things in the long run.

The adding another anchor to it while on the hard and see what it can take seems like a reasonable idea, load that baby up did it trips (seems like a good thing to know regardless). The last thing I what is to drop anchor in 60' water (and there's a spot I've been wanting to anchor in that has this but location is great) and not be able to get it back up.

Anyone have any real stories of their windlass ratings to the weight of anchor and chain it really will lift?
Old 30-12-2011, 11:13   #7

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

I would recommend that you fiond out the exact working load for windlasses. For exemple Lewmar recommends that a windlass's maximum load capacity be four times its usual "working load"–the combined weight of the anchor, rode and hardware. see West Marine link: The West Advisor: Anchor Windlasses
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 11:51   #8
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va2shp View Post
I would recommend that you fiond out the exact working load for windlasses. For exemple Lewmar recommends that a windlass's maximum load capacity be four times its usual "working load"–the combined weight of the anchor, rode and hardware. see West Marine link: The West Advisor: Anchor Windlasses
That's crazy because they talk about the capacity as the pull! If true my windlass with a 1325 lb pull load capacity would be 331 lbs meaning it could lift my 65 lb anchor and 250 feet of chain. I doubt it!

The orginal question was about the meaning of a listed 100 lb "recovery load".

But thanks.
Old 30-12-2011, 12:03   #9

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

It is in line also with Practical sailor testing, so I for myself used this rule of thumb for chosing my windlasses ans I am very happy
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 06:02   #10

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I think you have a mistake in your manual. Most winches can pull at least 1000#
Find out what the amp load is, hook up the expected load of anchor,chain&road, watch your amp gage as you lift. The motor will likely spike and then settle as it starts lifting the load. If it stays high, you're to heavy or you dont have enough battery/cable size to operate at full load (usually the case)
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 06:13   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
That's crazy because they talk about the capacity as the pull! If true my windlass with a 1325 lb pull load capacity would be 331 lbs meaning it could lift my 65 lb anchor and 250 feet of chain. I doubt it!

The original question was about the meaning of a listed 100 lb "recovery load".

But thanks.
Remember, unless you are anchored in very deep water, the windlass is only recovering the anchor plus the chain equal to the water depth. If you only anchor in water less than ~ 40 feet, there is no problem. Even if is it deeper now and then, you could just give the windlass a few rest stops.

You may not have a problem. I recently increased my chain from 20 feet to 100 feet; since I never anchor in much over 20 feet of water, there was no change at all.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:34   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The S-L Sprint Atlantic Manual indicates a Maximum Load of over 600 Lbs.

http://slspares.co.uk/pdf/Website%20...20Atlantic.pdf

This would be about 3 times the normal “working” load (200#).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:44   #13
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The S-L Sprint Atlantic Manual indicates a Maximum Load of over 600 Lbs.

http://slspares.co.uk/pdf/Website%20...20Atlantic.pdf

This would be about 3 times the normal “working” load (200#).

Thanks. But agian that is max pull and I came across an installation manual that gives the max pull as 1325 lbs, and the "recovery load" of 100 lbs.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:00   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Thanks. But agian that is max pull and I came across an installation manual that gives the max pull as 1325 lbs, and the "recovery load" of 100 lbs.
I should have been more clear. So should the manual.

Max pull is certainly what it sounds like; the max without tripping a breaker.

Recovery pull is almost certainly "continuous load rating", or what it can manage for long periods--several hundred feet--without risk of over heating or shortened life expectancy.

Lifting an extra anchor on the hard will not tell you anything; it is no where near the max load and will not challenge the breaker. It is not long enough to cause heating, and besides, it isn't likely you could accurately detect the heating.

It seems simple, to me. When you need to recover more than 100 pounds, give it a break now and then. Motor up to vertical, retrieving as you go. Then give it a break as the waves loosen the hook. Hit it for a few seconds to get it free of the mud and up a few feet. Then give it a break. Then recover the rest. Easy.

What if your windlass fails some day? That's going to happen anyway (bad switch, water, something) and you will need to recover it by some other means; team work or a rolling hitch and sheet winch.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:07   #15
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
What if your windlass fails some day? That's going to happen anyway (bad switch, water, something) and you will need to recover it by some other means; team work or a rolling hitch and sheet winch.
Been there done that!

Tags
windlass