Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2014, 17:24   #1

Boat: Pearson 35 #339
Windlass recommendations for a 1976 Pearson 35

I recently purchased a 1976 Pearson 35. The owner before me removed the windlass because it simply quit working. I have a bad back and have had my fill of hauling up the anchor hand over hand and am going to install a new windlass (all the old wiring is still in place and capped). I have room in the chain locker for a vertical windlass, but don't really care if it is vertical or horizontal. I would like a system that, at a minimum, has foot pods at the bow. Remote control from the cockpit is a bonus, but not critical. Any recommendations? If this is the incorrect forum, I apologize, please point me in the right direction and I will adjust fire accordingly.
Windspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 21:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Windlass recommendations for a 1976 Pearson 35

have a Lewmar Concept 1 and it's worked fine. It's a vertical winch with rope gypsy and rope capstan. The winch is NLA but they make several that are nearly identical but just made from SS not aluminum. A 1000 watt motor would be adequate. The only way I'd go. Boat does not have one of those abominable deck lockers so through bolted to the deck. It is mounted as far aft as it could be and still be in the chain locker.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 03:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Windspiel.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 15:30   #4

Thanks for the warm welcome GordMay!!

Roverhi,

Thanks for the info. I will look at it. I am going to have to take a couple pictures and post them because I actually have two deck cleats that are currently used for tying the anchor chain off while anchored. They are right where the sampson posts should be.
Old 23-12-2014, 15:42   #5

I've had both Horizontal and Vertical. Surprisingly the verticals were more trouble free as far as stripping well and no chain jamming.
I really liked using a hand held pendant in lieu of footswitches. You are free to move and watch the anchor coming aboard etc, standing on a footswitch aft of the windlass you cant do that. Many times the chain may have a twist and the anchor not board properly... not to mention dirty chain that needs flushing, scrubbing etc, etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 15:51   #6

Cheechako,

Thanks much. I was actually planning on putting the foot switch in the spot of the old one (which is a simple stainless steel on/off push button, which is still in place. I do have a fresh water spray down right at the bow which I use to spray down the chain once I get it all on board (or for a nice shower). I am not too familiar with the handheld pendants; however, I can see where that would come in handy. Will look at those as well. Thank you.
Old 23-12-2014, 20:24   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windspiel View Post
Cheechako,

Thanks much. I was actually planning on putting the foot switch in the spot of the old one (which is a simple stainless steel on/off push button, which is still in place. I do have a fresh water spray down right at the bow which I use to spray down the chain once I get it all on board (or for a nice shower). I am not too familiar with the handheld pendants; however, I can see where that would come in handy. Will look at those as well. Thank you.
The windlass mfg make wired and wireless remotes. Have a wired remote that is attached to the hanging locker bulkhead. Unit has a fairly long coiled cord that I pass up through the fore hatch. Works but wish the cord was about 3' longer so I could get all the way to the bow when operating the winch. The windlass is power up and down. Usually power down if there is any depth to the water as the chain coming around the gypsy can develop enough centrifugal force to fly out and jam when free falling. You'll need two foot switches for powering in both directions. Don't like foot switches in any case as they have been the cause many serious accidents through accidental actuation and don't seem to be very long lived.
Old 19-05-2015, 19:56   #8

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
have a Lewmar Concept 1 and it's worked fine. It's a vertical winch with rope gypsy and rope capstan. The winch is NLA but they make several that are nearly identical but just made from SS not aluminum. A 1000 watt motor would be adequate. The only way I'd go. Boat does not have one of those abominable deck lockers so through bolted to the deck. It is mounted as far aft as it could be and still be in the chain locker.
thanx for all info here roverhi (peter)
i have same boat and questioning that lewmar cause of the weight of my anchor. #45 mantus. thoughts? or 1000 watts all good?
thnx in advance
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 08:56   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The Concept 1, IIRC, is actually a 750 watt windlass. Think they get the higher capacity by slightly lower gearing. If my memory is correct, the 1,000 watt newer generation should be fine with the heavier anchor.

You shouldn't have any problems with 20 kilo anchor hooking up. Used a 45# CQR on our way heavier Westsail 32 and never dragged. Using a 15Kilo Manson Supreme on the P35. Haven't done a lot of anchoring but it did hold the boat in 20knots of wind off of Mare Island in SF Bay without any issues. Other anchoring experience has been less challenging and no challenge there either.

Tags
men, pearson, wind, windlass