Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2012, 10:02   #1

Boat: CT-41
Windlass for CT-41

I'm looking for a windlass for my CT-41, which is a pretty heavy boat for her size at 16t. There is a horizontal, manual windlass on the bowsprit near the base, and I think I would like to put a horizontal windlass with capstan right there to replace it.

I've been looking at the Maxwell HRC 10-10 - it looks like a great windlass, but I would prefer a stainless housing. Is the housing on the Maxwell durable/attractive? The Lewmars are pretty, but I have read some poor reviews - saying they aren't sealed well against the elements.

Like most of us, I want quality, but I am on a limited budget. I would appreciate all the help/advice I can get. What all do I need? Windlass, solenoid, switch, wire? Can I add a remote/counter later when I have funds?

I did a search and read some old threads here on windlasses, but I wanted advice tailored to my boat and situation. I am located in Southern California, but wish to eventually cruise all over the place. Current tackle is a 45lb CQR, about 50' of 1/4" chain and 250' three strand rode...

Thanks,

Luke
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 19:57   #2

Boat: S&S 40
Re: Windlass for CT-41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I'm looking for a windlass for my CT-41, which is a pretty heavy boat for her size at 16t. There is a horizontal, manual windlass on the bowsprit near the base, and I think I would like to put a horizontal windlass with capstan right there to replace it.

I've been looking at the Maxwell HRC 10-10 - it looks like a great windlass, but I would prefer a stainless housing. Is the housing on the Maxwell durable/attractive? The Lewmars are pretty, but I have read some poor reviews - saying they aren't sealed well against the elements.

Like most of us, I want quality, but I am on a limited budget. I would appreciate all the help/advice I can get. What all do I need? Windlass, solenoid, switch, wire? Can I add a remote/counter later when I have funds?

I did a search and read some old threads here on windlasses, but I wanted advice tailored to my boat and situation. I am located in Southern California, but wish to eventually cruise all over the place. Current tackle is a 45lb CQR, about 50' of 1/4" chain and 250' three strand rode...

Thanks,

Luke
Hi, u might have to go for a Maxwell 2000 (2000W) or similar...ur anchor gear is very light...u need 3/8" chain X 90m+ ...and a 65lb anchor...then u need a 2nd setup, part chain and part rope...preferably a 3rd setup chain and rope ..after all the anchor is supposed to keep ur yacht safely in one place...a good anchor winch cost about 3000-4000 $ + chain and anchor..u looking at 5000$//small price to pay to secure ur home afloat.
Cheers
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 20:06   #3

Boat: csy 37

what icarus says. your anchoring gear is too light for your boat. 3/8" chain and probably a bigger anchor would be more suitable. my boat is 37 feet / 20000 lbs and i have 3/8" and a 45 lb manson supreme. and if you're going cruising, get a whole second setup of similar size. can't have to many or too much anchoring gear...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 21:46   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Your chain is way too light for your boat... just as the other posters have said. If you have any plans for cruising, you will end up replacing that chain with 8 or 10 mm (5/16 or 3/8 inch). Since the windlass's gypsy must match the chain, you should make the change in chain first, then buy the windlass to match.

FWIW, on our boat we have 85 metres of 10 mm chain and a 60 lb Manson Supreme anchor. This is handled by a Maxwell 1500 VWC (vertical axis) windlass, and it has no issues with this weight of gear. Their equivalent horizontal axis model will be ok for your application, and their quality is as good as others in the price range. The aluminum alloy housings have a powder coat finish, and that is likely to fail fairly quickly. Can be painted over to restore looks if that is important to you.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 27-07-2012, 06:47   #5

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm pretty sure the chain is bigger than 1/4" - I'm just ignorant about that stuff. I'll measure it. Is the anchor too small?

I prefer not to go all chain, as I like to run a long rode at anchor sometimes, and I don't want all that weight up front (or anywhere.)

My backup anchor is a Danforth with a similar chain/rode setup. Should I get a 60 LB Anchor and use the 45 LB as backup? Many of the boats my size and larger are using 45 LB CQRs and claws here at the marina...
Old 27-07-2012, 13:32   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm pretty sure the chain is bigger than 1/4" - I'm just ignorant about that stuff. I'll measure it. Is the anchor too small?

I prefer not to go all chain, as I like to run a long rode at anchor sometimes, and I don't want all that weight up front (or anywhere.)

My backup anchor is a Danforth with a similar chain/rode setup. Should I get a 60 LB Anchor and use the 45 LB as backup? Many of the boats my size and larger are using 45 LB CQRs and claws here at the marina...
G'Day Luke,

Is the anchor (45 lb plow) too small? Well, it depends on what you want the anchor to do for you, and where you want it to perform those duties,

If as you say you intend to go cruising, then yes, IMO that is not an adequate anchor for a boat as heavy as yours, especially on a mixed rode. Anchor preferences seem to evoke great passions here on CF, but I think that most serious and experienced cruisers would say that you should have whatever "new generation" type of anchor you like, and in a 60 to 80 lb range. If you are going to be anchoring in any coral areas, then an all chain rode is (again in my fairly experienced opinion) mandatory. There have been endless arguments on this subject, but those of us who actually do these things mostly agree on this. Personally I don't think that the addition of a couple of hundred pounds of chain in your chain locker will make a noticeable difference in your sailing performance, and the security gained from the chain is a proven benefit. Your choice...

You mention that most similar boats in your marina use 45 lb (+/-) anchors and wonder why you should use a bigger one? Well, most of the boats in southern California don't anchor much, and when they do it is in a nice clean sand bottom (I used to sail in Californian waters). When bad wx threatens, few of them remain at anchor while most return to the security of their marina berths. Thus, they are seldom exposed to the sort of anchoring situations that you will encounter in the real cruising world, and their marginal anchors suffice.

Enough preaching... do some more reading here in the annals of CF... the subject has been beaten to death.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 27-07-2012, 13:45   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

luke--you will want to use 5/16 oor 3/8. 3/8 is better, i was advised for our boats. if you wish to offload your manual windlass, come to la cruz and i will be more than happy to receive it...kd lets make a deal
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 06:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate

G'Day Luke,

Is the anchor (45 lb plow) too small? Well, it depends on what you want the anchor to do for you, and where you want it to perform those duties,

If as you say you intend to go cruising, then yes, IMO that is not an adequate anchor for a boat as heavy as yours, especially on a mixed rode. Anchor preferences seem to evoke great passions here on CF, but I think that most serious and experienced cruisers would say that you should have whatever "new generation" type of anchor you like, and in a 60 to 80 lb range. If you are going to be anchoring in any coral areas, then an all chain rode is (again in my fairly experienced opinion) mandatory. There have been endless arguments on this subject, but those of us who actually do these things mostly agree on this. Personally I don't think that the addition of a couple of hundred pounds of chain in your chain locker will make a noticeable difference in your sailing performance, and the security gained from the chain is a proven benefit. Your choice...

You mention that most similar boats in your marina use 45 lb (+/-) anchors and wonder why you should use a bigger one? Well, most of the boats in southern California don't anchor much, and when they do it is in a nice clean sand bottom (I used to sail in Californian waters). When bad wx threatens, few of them remain at anchor while most return to the security of their marina berths. Thus, they are seldom exposed to the sort of anchoring situations that you will encounter in the real cruising world, and their marginal anchors suffice.

Enough preaching... do some more reading here in the annals of CF... the subject has been beaten to death.

Cheers,

Jim
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'll use the advice. I'll measure the chain and see what it is. I guess 3/8" is optimal. I take it CQR is not a "new generation" anchor... Do they perform significantly better than CQR? Can you lust some of these "new generation" anchors, so I can search the forums and get some insight on which of these will work best for me? Should I just go ahead and get the 80lb anchor? Is the price/holding power that different? How much chain is enough, assuming I go all chain? Adding some rode for deeper water wouldn't hurt performance in coral, as it would not likely be used there?

Thanks,

Luke

P.S. I don't know how to give you a "thanks" from the iPad app...
Old 28-07-2012, 06:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
luke--you will want to use 5/16 oor 3/8. 3/8 is better, i was advised for our boats. if you wish to offload your manual windlass, come to la cruz and i will be more than happy to receive it...kd lets make a deal

I missed my chance to get together with you when you were in SD. It'll probably be years before I catch up with you again

Are you running all chain? What anchor?
Old 28-07-2012, 06:43   #10

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

1800lb boat here and have 75m of 3/8th and a 125 lb supreme.
Should be ok
Old 28-07-2012, 07:16   #11

dear luke---your boat is same as my boat--you will want all chain and a 75 pound cqr plus a 60 pound bruce. you will do fine. dont go mixed rode as you will find boat in other places than where left. use 3/8 chain, as was told tome i needed. go to downwind marine and buy a barrel end. make sure is at least 200 ft. ask for chris or david. david has a boat like ours. ask him to hook ye up, tell him i sent ye. let him know yours is similar to his. he has a sea wolf. we leaky teakyites need to stick together.....geaux, luke!

i am running with all chain and is only 5/16--and a 30 kg bruce--works so much better than that cqr inbad holding and rocks. many rocks. ye need bruce, me friend. rocna and manson do not fit our sprits. bruce is a great anchor for west coast. 30 kg . nthere are 30 kt winds in many anchorages--often more-- and seas--mazatlan doesnt have seas in anchorage but does have bad holding--bruce for there also--danforth and cqr drag there--seen that--mine was the cqr that drug. patricia belle's 100 pound danforth dragged in 40 kts in maz.....they are 85 ft length.
Old 29-07-2012, 09:25   #12

Thanks so much for all the help and advice so far. I went ahead and read some more on this and other sites about the new generation anchors, and it does seem to get quite passionate. I think I have decided to go with 300 ft of 3/8" chain and a Manson Supreme 60# anchor as my primary, moving my CQR 45# with chain and rode to backup status.

My original question about the windlass is still up in the air. I had been looking at the Maxwell HRC10-10 - but I am currently favoring the Lofrans Tigress. Does anyone have any thoughts on these or other horizontal windlasses in the class?

A couple guys at the marina have Lighthouse windlasses which are manufactured locally and are beautiful. The guys swear by them. They appear to be all stainless - at least the housing, but they are way out of my budget at over twice the price of the windlasses I am looking at.

Any windlass advice out there?
Old 29-07-2012, 09:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
dear luke---your boat is same as my boat--you will want all chain and a 75 pound cqr plus a 60 pound bruce. you will do fine. dont go mixed rode as you will find boat in other places than where left. use 3/8 chain, as was told tome i needed. go to downwind marine and buy a barrel end. make sure is at least 200 ft. ask for chris or david. david has a boat like ours. ask him to hook ye up, tell him i sent ye. let him know yours is similar to his. he has a sea wolf. we leaky teakyites need to stick together.....geaux, luke!

i am running with all chain and is only 5/16--and a 30 kg bruce--works so much better than that cqr inbad holding and rocks. many rocks. ye need bruce, me friend. rocna and manson do not fit our sprits. bruce is a great anchor for west coast. 30 kg . nthere are 30 kt winds in many anchorages--often more-- and seas--mazatlan doesnt have seas in anchorage but does have bad holding--bruce for there also--danforth and cqr drag there--seen that--mine was the cqr that drug. patricia belle's 100 pound danforth dragged in 40 kts in maz.....they are 85 ft length.
I like the 60# Manson. You say it won't fit our bowsprit? I need to look at that...
Old 29-07-2012, 09:32   #14

check ypur roller and sprit clearance--i found my bruce is a tight fit, and the new fangled ones havent been holding any better in this anchorage or in mazatlan than a bruce....from what i have seen ---might have to modify stuff up on your sprit to fit it, but i am not certain. the choice sounds good tho---do not rid yourself of your manual windlass--you could well end up needing it.....if you do choose to rid self of it--bring it to me--i will buy it from ye.
Old 29-07-2012, 09:38   #15

I've always been impressed with the Lofrans windlass, anodized not painted too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windlass