Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 12:35   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Will Someone just Choose an Anchor for me? I'm Exhausted.

Well that was definitive...
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:57   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Got a secondhand or consignment place around? If not, go to whatever chandlery you have, find the biggest anchor you can lift, buy that one.

What's best will depend on the bottom type and how and whether you can stow it on your boat, but since you don't mention those things, "best" comes down to the biggest anchor you can lift. "Rule of tonnage" counts.

And of course you'll want two of them, so you can replace the first one after it fouls and has to be cut free.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 13:16   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Will Someone just Choose an Anchor for me? I'm Exhausted.

Dunno what Bruce your talking about Cheeh...
The man asked what anchor was best with all chain.. not 25 metres and nylon warp.. and the Bruce has filled that need for me well.. as to your reference to rocky bottom.. yeah its great there as well.. just you'll have to dive to free it..
I've anchored with these for over 25yrs with no problems.. its down to how you drop the hook.. you don't hit reverse and full throttle the way so many Stars and Stripes seem to in the Islands and plough the bottom for 50metres or so to bed it.
Go on Island time.. wander up and drop the hook and feed out 15 metres then hold while the boat falls back on the wind.. as the strain comes on feed out another 10metres.. hold and let the nose go into the wind.. your now bedded in.. feed out to your distance.
Don't bother diving down to check it.. your in and can only go deeper.
Only place I'd avoid is long thick sea grass.. but theres usually clear spots of sand about as well.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 15:16   #19

Boat: Tiara Open 36

Take a serious look at the ULTRA by Quickline. Mine sets and holds reliably in a variety of bottoms.
NewportGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 15:26   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Will someone just choose an anchor for me? I'm exhausted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Because Danforths are great one way anchors. Look up what a kedge anchor is for.

also, the Danforth can be raised by hand. Since most of us do not have a windlass back there, it makes sense.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 15:43   #21

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Are there any modern anchors that dont work? I've never bought an anchor, always used whatever the boat I happened to buy had, have had a few misadventures but, as with anything on a boat, you need good gear AND luck. Get the biggest one you can manage, any of them will do.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 15:54   #22
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

No doubt get a CQR. Somebody in the anchorage needs to provide some entertainment when the wind picks up and that should be you!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 16:28   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

• I'm with boaty on the bruce. My cheap 44# bruce clone holds my boat well when the wind blows. Even in sand. Lots of folks still use a bruce.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 17:39   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
  • I'm with boaty on the bruce. My cheap 44# bruce clone holds my boat well when the wind blows. Even in sand. Lots of folks still use a bruce.
Me too. Bruce is still my primary. Sets and holds in a wide range of bottom types. Digs deep (disappears) and holds strong in sand.

If I had to pick another anchor would probably go with a nextgen like Ronca.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 17:49   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

OP: Now that you've started yet another anchor fight, here is how you use it to make your decision: when the dust settles see which anchor got the most recommendations then buy that one sized one class bigger for your boat than recommended by the manufacturer.

You should have at least two anchors for cruising, so whichever anchor comes in second, get one of those too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 18:15   #26

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Quote:

I am glad my name is not Bruce
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 19:59   #27

Boat: csy 37

35 lb manson supreme. or any other 'new gen' anchor (rocna, spade, etc) of the same weight. you've already made the correct choice in rode - all chain.

i sail in the same region and have now abandoned all my old gen anchors except for a 35 lb hi tensile danforth i carry as a spare. i'm considering getting a second 'new gen' to replace the spare danforth. the new gen anchors hold so well you may be the only boat in the anchorage that isn't dragging ( i was the one in white sound one night ). it costs more, but consider it the best insurance policy you could ever buy.

if you're at all fit, you won't need a windlass where you're going. i'm an old guy and i still haul my 45lb manson supreme on all 3/8" chain by myself; anchorages tend to be shallow so you won't be lifting too much weight at one time.

go buy a 35lb manson supreme. and use at least 7 to 1 scope, more if it's blowing. because you'll be anchoring in 10 to 15 foot depths, or less, 120 feet of chain should be enough; i've never used more than 100 feet.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 20:08   #28

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
maybe on the left coast, but i nearly lost my boat with a 66lb bruce in the bahamas. that was the last time i ever used it. thankfully i had a big cqr to change out to. this was before 'new gen' anchors came along....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 22:53   #29

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
go buy a 35lb manson supreme. and use at least 7 to 1 scope, more if it's blowing. because you'll be anchoring in 10 to 15 foot depths, or less, 120 feet of chain should be enough; i've never used more than 100 feet.
And when the tide is more than 10' what's your scope then
100 meters IMO
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 23:47   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
No doubt get a CQR. Somebody in the anchorage needs to provide some entertainment when the wind picks up and that should be you!
There is nothing wrong with a CQR they have been holding boats for generations and still are. If you set your anchor properly you should not drag but sometimes it just happens through no fault of your own. Look at what others in your area are using then get what you can afford. To write of a good popular anchor because of some I'll perceived group think is wrong, what it does do is make a CQR a good second hand buy.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, exhaust