Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 16:05   #16

Boat: Nestor Volker 38' One Off Pilot House wood/glass fiber veneer
Re: Which is the best Crosby Anchor shackle for a # 40 Rocna Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlarson1098 View Post
Oh, no. I like to think you're kidding, but maybe not?
If you're out in the boonies and have to do the best you can with what you've got, I get it.
But otherwise I would not alter my rigging stuff. I've watched guys beat distorted shackles 'round' again with a 4 pound hammer so they can make the pin in the twisted thing. And then make a heavy lift with it! Shackles are a tool - and sometimes end up being the weak link when they are not treated as such.
If I see a shackle being abused on the jobsite, I'll do all I can to take it out of service. That means cutting it up with the torch, or throwing it in the drink.
A failure might be inconvenient - or it might prove disastrous.
Besides, if you're gonna reduce the size of your shackle pin, use a grinder. Saves a lot of time!
Well, thats sort of happen. if I wouldn't dim the pin, I would have to use one size smaller shackle, isn't this weaker than a 0,5mm narrower pin on the original shackle?
Regards
Gulliver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 18:42   #17

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver 2 View Post
Well, thats sort of happen. if I wouldn't dim the pin, I would have to use one size smaller shackle, isn't this weaker than a 0,5mm narrower pin on the original shackle?
Regards
Well, I'm not sure. I would probably go with the smaller shackle, but that's just me. I'm not in your position and it's not my boat on the hook! That's one of the cool things about being skipper. I see what you're saying, and like I said you've got to work with what you have at hand.
All the best.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 19:10   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Regards
But you do have the option, as mentioned above, of slightly distorting the last link in the chain s that it will accept the larger pin. I believe this is the best solution to the problem, one that has a more predictable outcome than grinding away on the shackle pin, freehand and uncontrolled. One can imagine the generation of stress risers with such a practice.

Jim
Old 11-06-2018, 19:30   #19
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I have a Rocna 55 with 10mm chain and used a Wichard shackle. I like it because it doesn't snag on my anchor roller.
Shackle / self-locking / allen head pin
Old 12-06-2018, 08:51   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
But you do have the option, as mentioned above, of slightly distorting the last link in the chain s that it will accept the larger pin. I believe this is the best solution to the problem, one that has a more predictable outcome than grinding away on the shackle pin, freehand and uncontrolled. One can imagine the generation of stress risers with such a practice.

Jim
I couldn't find the post You referred, about distorting the link. Wouldn't this weakened the link?
Old 12-06-2018, 15:08   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I couldn't find the post You referred, about distorting the link. Wouldn't this weakened the link?
G30-40 grade chain is pretty ductile, and the limited distortion doesn't seem to cause harm. The method is to put the link in a large vise and compress it along its long axis. It doesn't take much to open the link enough to accept the oversize pin.

Jim

PS You're right! The post explaining how to "squash" the link isn't there... must have been in a different thread. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 13-06-2018, 10:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G30-40 grade chain is pretty ductile, and the limited distortion doesn't seem to cause harm. The method is to put the link in a large vise and compress it along its long axis. It doesn't take much to open the link enough to accept the oversize pin.

Jim

PS You're right! The post explaining how to "squash" the link isn't there... must have been in a different thread. Sorry 'bout that.
Good advice, It seems fair! I'll try that.
Thanks!
Old 19-06-2018, 08:35   #23

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

You can get the Crosby G-209A shackle for less than $12 online with free shipping. I paid around $9 and got two. Too cheap to go with a lower quality shackle. If you can't fit a shackle to your anchor that will also fit your anchor, you can get one that fits your chain and then put a larger one to fit your anchor and pin them together. Better to just have one if you can.

Putting safety wire on a shackle is pretty darn easy and that's what I do. I personally would never us a nut with a cotter pin. The pin is hazardous to your skin. But you need a safety of some sort on the pin. I put lanolin on the shackle pin threads and then safety wire.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 06:25   #24

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
You can get the Crosby G-209A shackle for less than $12 online with free shipping. I paid around $9 and got two. Too cheap to go with a lower quality shackle. If you can't fit a shackle to your anchor that will also fit your anchor, you can get one that fits your chain and then put a larger one to fit your anchor and pin them together. Better to just have one if you can.

Putting safety wire on a shackle is pretty darn easy and that's what I do. I personally would never us a nut with a cotter pin. The pin is hazardous to your skin. But you need a safety of some sort on the pin. I put lanolin on the shackle pin threads and then safety wire.
Thanks for the feedback ........ much appreciated
Where did you source your Crosby Shackles?
Is the Lanolin to prevent the pin seizing in the shackle?
I thought it might be a plan to have two shackles as it helps with the anchor setting in the roller (instead of using a swivel)
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 07:49   #25

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post
Thanks for the feedback ........ much appreciated
Where did you source your Crosby Shackles?
Is the Lanolin to prevent the pin seizing in the shackle?
I thought it might be a plan to have two shackles as it helps with the anchor setting in the roller (instead of using a swivel)

Just do a google search and you can find several sources at good prices, many with free or minimal shipping. The shipping can be much greater than the shackles themselves. I use Ebay a lot for items like this but often find that a vendor on there also sells direct, sometimes for less, sometimes for more. But we are only talking about a couple of bucks here or there.

The lanolin is to prevent seizing of the pin. Other products can do this as well, including other greases, but they are more toxic, etc. although we are talking a very small dab.

I would think the chain itself would twist when the anchor is setting. Swivels, I think, help with the boat moving in circles around an anchor or when retrieving the anchor. I just let the anchor untwist itself when off the bottom before bringing it over the bow roller (or before it hits the bow if it has a lot of tension on it).
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 07:53   #26

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Just do a google search and you can find several sources at good prices, many with free or minimal shipping. The shipping can be much greater than the shackles themselves. I use Ebay a lot for items like this but often find that a vendor on there also sells direct, sometimes for less, sometimes for more. But we are only talking about a couple of bucks here or there.

The lanolin is to prevent seizing of the pin. Other products can do this as well, including other greases, but they are more toxic, etc. although we are talking a very small dab.

I would think the chain itself would twist when the anchor is setting. Swivels, I think, help with the boat moving in circles around an anchor or when retrieving the anchor. I just let the anchor untwist itself when off the bottom before bringing it over the bow roller (or before it hits the bow if it has a lot of tension on it).
Thanks for the info .......... much appreciated
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 07:57   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
In general you can fit a one side up shackle in any given chain. Thus for 5/16" chain you would use a 3/8" shackle.

The inside width of Acco 5/16" BBB and G43 chain is 0.500" where the pin diameter for a 3/8" Crosby G-209A shackle is 0.44". Plenty of room to fit.

In fact the Crosby G-209A 7/16" pin is listed at 0.5" and might just fit giving 2 sizes up.

In fact I do use a 7/16" Crosby G-209A shackle on my 5/16" G70 anchor chain. The pin just fits. In terms of normal variations in size I would guess that some links/pin combinations would fit and others not.

Bottom line - Use Shackle sizes are one size up from the chain size.
I agree. I'm using a 7/16 Crosby shackle on 5/16 G40 chain and a 44lb Rocna. I start with the highest WWL shackle I can get, then size it to as large as will fit on my chain and anchor.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rocna