Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 23:02   #1

Boat: Pearson 36-2
Question Which anchor roller for Rocna 20

Hello all,

I've been passively browsing cruisersforum for a long time, and finally it's time for me to answer a question I can't find an answer to.

I'm upgrading my anchor setup (Pearson 36-2) with a Rocna 20 (44lb) on 5/16" chain, but cannot for the life of me find which bow roller is going to be best. I guess that most people stick with whatever bow roller they already have, but in my case I have a pretty much non-existent roller so I'm adding a new one.

The information available online about rollers (with dimensions) seems pretty sparse, and the ones that claim to be suitable for anchors >44lb seem far too large. The WINDLINE URM-3 for example has an inside channel width of 3.5 inches ... a Rocna has a very narrow shank and there's no way it needs 3.5 inches.

The windline narrow (https://windline.com/index.php?route...&product_id=83) looks like it could be the best (with tabs to secure the "spade" part of the anchor when it's fully home)... and there are a number of very similar ones available called "Universal anchor roller".

Does anyone have a Rocna 20 + roller setup that they can share photos of (with comments on how well it works for them)

Thank you!
svrafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 13:13   #2

Boat: Grand Banks M/Y 42
Re: Which anchor roller for Rocna 20

I suggest you email Rocna direct and ask your question. I just did the same and got a good reply. They also have an extensive selection of photos of various applications that you may find useful.

My advice is ask questions, dig deep!
No Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:19   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Which anchor roller for Rocna 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrafiki View Post
The information available online about rollers (with dimensions) seems pretty sparse, and the ones that claim to be suitable for anchors >44lb seem far too large. The WINDLINE URM-3 for example has an inside channel width of 3.5 inches ... a Rocna has a very narrow shank and there's no way it needs 3.5 inches.
I'm regretful that I cannot help directly, svrafiki. I've only a wee 15 kg Rocna which I keep on deck amidships, rather than in a bow roller, to avoid disbenefits of having a heavy chunk of metal a long way forward of the Centre of Gravity of my small boat.

Let me however note that the Rocna User Guide does read:

"If you experience difficulties getting it to drop off the bow when released, there are various solutions you may consider. Firstly, the diameter of the roller (if there is only one) makes a difference - the larger the roller, the more easily the Rocna will self-launch. A twin roller system is ideal. Secondly, the angle at which the Rocna rests when pulled home will affect how easily it will slide forward. Lastly, a long length of chain suspended between the shank and your boat’s windlass may be heavy enough to hold the Rocna back."

Cheers

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rocna