Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 11:16   #61

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
I used to put 15 feet of 3/8 chain on my trip eye on the top of the 35# CQR, then I put a 20# Danforth on that. Dropped the Danforth first, then the CQR. That arrangement never went ANYWHERE. I did have the CQR drag quite a few times (soft mud, mostly), even though I put out quite a bit of scope (usually close to 8:1). The boat was a Pearson 10M sloop --not much freeboard and 14K disp, so the 35# CQR should have been sufficient--but it frequently was not!
Old 09-05-2008, 13:59   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
I am happy with my Anchor...
You could have given it a good workout out here in Hikoekoea Bay overnight with this weather system going over .

John
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 18:26   #63
Marine Service Provider

BigCat, I was referring to the Bugel's 'best all round performance' as it itself is configured, definitely not saying I think it is 'the best all round anchor'. I do think it's is good but don't think it's the best of all though.

Starfish - you have a very short length of chain for the boat. Extend that and the CQR would have worked far better. I'd say you problem could have been sorted that easily as that's all it usually takes.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 19:02   #64

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Manson Supreme

I have had my Manson Supreme for going on two years now. Just (last month) got abck from a 8 month, 2500nm cruise down the east coast and the Bahamas.

Never (not once) drug. Set under sail a good deal of the time, and had excellent results with as little as 2.5 to 1 scope. 55' of 5/16ht, and couple hundred feet of 3 strand 1/2" (usually just used the chain and a snubber).

We anchored where others had trouble with dragging (spent the afternoon watching a guy drag a Supermax in circles around the boat one time...). Areas listed as 'poor holding' in the Explorer chart book gave us no problems.

Even rode out Hurricane Noel, with little protection.... Did not drag. I would recommend the Manson Supreme to anyone. I bet the rocna would be ok too... since they are basicly the same anchor. I would not pay the extra $$$ though, since they seem to mostly spend it on marketing anyway.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 20:27   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Hikoekoea Bay overnight
Good to hear you got back through the pass OK.
I do have one negative with my anchor. When it is really well set, I really struggle to get the thing back up again. If I don't pay attention and take it in small steps, it will stall my 2200 winch. Oh and one other negative, it comes to the top with half the ocean floor still holding on.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:34   #66

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
We always used 200 feet of 3/8 inch high test chain, and a bridle consisting of two arms that were each twenty feet long. We used a lazy loop of chain to keep the bridle submerged.

Take a look at the following drawing:

ALMOST NEVER FAIL CATAMARAN ANCHORING SYSTEM WITH A BUEGEL ANCHOR*** Exit Only performed the first half of her circumnavigation

I think your "lazy loop" is working as a kellet. As long as it doesn't snag bottom, all that extra, heavy chain may as well be put to work. I put out extra in a crowded anchorage.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:51   #67

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.spots View Post
We always used 200 feet of 3/8 inch high test chain, and a bridle consisting of two arms that were each twenty feet long. We used a lazy loop of chain to keep the bridle submerged.
Take a look at the following drawing:
ALMOST NEVER FAIL CATAMARAN ANCHORING SYSTEM WITH A BUEGEL ANCHOR*** Exit Only performed the first half of her circumnavigation

I think your "lazy loop" is working as a kellet. As long as it doesn't snag bottom, all that extra, heavy chain may as well be put to work. I put out extra in a crowded anchorage.

C.Spots - You are right about the "kellet effect" of the lazy loop of chain. It reduces shock loading of the anchor in the wind gusts and in bigger seas. It also allows the chain to have a more horizontal pull and increases the effective scope because the bridle is submerged five or six feet under water most of the time. When we are at anchor in gusty conditions, I watch the bridle oscillate up and down as the pull varies on the anchor chain. It works well for us and helps us sleep at night.

That lazy loop also means we can anchor on shorter scope in crowded anchorages with less risk.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:25   #68

Anchor Chain

Starfish - you have a very short length of chain for the boat. Extend that and the CQR would have worked far better. I'd say you problem could have been sorted that easily as that's all it usually takes.[/quote]

GMAC
The 20 foot of 3/8 chain was just for the "cheater" Danforth I hooked to the 35# CQR. I had 220' of 3/8 BBB, and then 250' of 5/8 rode (deep anchorages and lots of coral in the South Pacific). You can never have too much chain!
Old 12-05-2008, 13:05   #69
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish62 View Post
Starfish - you have a very short length of chain for the boat. Extend that and the CQR would have worked far better. I'd say you problem could have been sorted that easily as that's all it usually takes.
Quote:
GMAC
The 20 foot of 3/8 chain was just for the "cheater" Danforth I hooked to the 35# CQR. I had 220' of 3/8 BBB, and then 250' of 5/8 rode (deep anchorages and lots of coral in the South Pacific). You can never have too much chain!
Opps sorry read you wrong and in that case, Yes you have a problem somewhere then.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 17:05   #70

No worries. I see people every weekend throwing over undersized anchors with 6' of chain and expecting that to hold a 35 foot party barge!
Old 12-05-2008, 18:01   #71

Boat: Privilege 37
I Vote for Spade and Bruce

I have used 45lb CQR 44lb Bruce and 44lb Spade over the last 10 yrs of cruising Bahamas & East Coast US. For the Bahamas and Florida I prefer the Spade since it tends to penetrate sandy bottoms with turtle grass roots. The CQR and Bruce would often bury partially and give a false sense of security while the Spade would usually disappear. Two years ago we were anchored near Long Boat Key, Fl Gulf Coast, during a strong cold front. Winds were 35 gusting to 40kts and the Spade was holding well. About 2AM a 35' monohull dragged down on us and was pinned to the port hull of our cat with the wind on his beam. The spade held both boats until we could separate the two boats. That was a big confidence booster for the Spade.

When we cruised north from the Bahamas to New England, we found the Spade was not a good mud anchor. We dragged at Fernandina Beach, Fl and a couple anchorages in the Carolinas that we previously logged as "good holding." We switched back to the Bruce for the rest of the trip and it held well in the soft bottoms.

All our anchors were attached to all chain rodes (3/8" BBB) so the anchoring systems and our techniques were identical.
Old 12-05-2008, 20:13   #72

Boat: Tayana 55
Big 120lb Rocna and 400+' of 3/8s chain is my recipe for sleep at night.

Has worked so far.

We carry a Fortress FX125 with another 100' of 3/8s in case of further sleep issues.

*shrug* need another margarita.

S/V Samadhi V - Tayana 55
Currently cruising in Mexico

https://www.samadhiv.org/
Samadhi V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 14:22   #73

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Used a 35lb CQR last year w 15' of chain and it worked fine until one windy night with changing currents. I was up from 2:30AM on. The anchor kept dragging even w increased scope and 'trying' to set it w the engine. So I sprang for the 15k Rocna and 30' 4G chain [5/16] w 300' 5/8 Plait...I measured and put in marked flags with numbers on the rope to get accurate length of scope. I hope to come back to this thread at the end of the season with good results. If not...I quit... well maybe not that drastic but I'll think of something radical!

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 07:52   #74

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
While cruising for 6 1/2 years, full time on a tight budget, marinas were out of the question, except for Haulouts, and needed repairs, etc. I'm sure I have anchored the old boat at least 1500 times. And 90 % of the time with 2 anchors.
My opinions. And we know everyone has their own:

Danforth (made by Danforth, or strong copy) Great holding as long as the wind doesn't change direstion much.
A 20# Std Danforth (old style with forger shank) was the one of 3 that
was facing the 135 mph winds of Hurricane Bob in Block Island. It held the boat. For 5 years I used 2 2 Hitensile Danforths, set about 80 deg. apart for my standard anchoring, with a 35 Hitensile one for storms

35 plow Got tired of it not setting or dragging, so I got rid of it.

50# Fisherman Carried it for a tear and used it 2 times. Very hard to stow and not worth it. Maybe for world wide cruising.

35# Delta The winner. I used this for my last 8 months of cruising, and I love it. It's the only anchor I feel safe with when only using 1 anchor. It has never failed to set in 8 months. Every time I dive or use the glass bucket to check it, it is allways burried.

Just my feelings.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 07:23   #75

Spoke to a cruiser spending a lot of time in the Bahamas & Florida and he agreed with your feelings on the Delta. I think I'll try one!

Tags
anchor