Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2019, 16:05   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
What to do if anchor drags?

I am at anchor in the Mediterranean and its blowing upto 40kts NW. I have 150 feet of chain and 60 of rode at 20’ depth. Bottom is soft sand and I have a 25# CQR. All seems well.

However, what do I do if my anchor drags? Start engine, retrieve anchor and retry?

Let it drag hoping it’ll catch again?

Go out and drift to sea until things calm down?
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 16:07   #2

Re: What to do if anchor drags?

I got a 30’ boat that weighs less than 10’000 pounds. Reduced windage as much as possible. Chafe protection on. Rode tied to both bow cleats. We are swinging hard.
Old 29-06-2019, 16:15   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What to do if anchor drags?

Start engine and sit it out on tick over, or at least till wind starts to ease.
Guessing your in Greece.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 16:17   #4

In Tasucu, Turkey.
Old 29-06-2019, 16:17   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

All depends on the situation. How fast are you dragging? Lee shore? Other boats that you are dragging on to? Sea condition?

Likely if a CQR starts dragging it’s not going to easily reset itself. If it’s a slow drag, and I’ not headed to anything nasty, I’d ease out more rode first. If that doesn’t show improvement, then starting the engine is a good step. You can try easing the pressure on the anchor, but you’ll probably need to relieve and reset.

Going out to sea can also be a wise choice. It will be rough, but the biggest danger for a well found boat is hard stuff.
Old 29-06-2019, 16:18   #6

Weather reports now say that it may be another 24 hours.
Old 29-06-2019, 16:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
All depends on the situation. How fast are you dragging? Lee shore? Other boats that you are dragging on to? Sea condition?

Likely if a CQR starts dragging it’s not going to easily reset itself. If it’s a slow drag, and I’ not headed to anything nasty, I’d ease out more rode first. If that doesn’t show improvement, then starting the engine is a good step. You can try easing the pressure on the anchor, but you’ll probably need to relieve and reset.

Going out to sea can also be a wise choice. It will be rough, but the biggest danger for a well found boat is hard stuff.

Not dragging yet but weighing out my options IF I do. I am in a sheltered bay so waves are not a problem. The wind is coming from the land but I have a rocky peninsula just 300feet behind me. No other boats downwind, a few light motorboats upwind from me on moorings, nobody in them. There is a small village at the bay but they lost all power so I can no longer make out if any of the power boats are coming my way.
Old 29-06-2019, 16:27   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8071.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	194972
Old 29-06-2019, 16:30   #9

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

That is a poor anchor if it dragged all the way from New Haven, CT to the Mediterranean...

The expected result is that the strong wind acting against the boat has driven the anchor well into the seabed, making dragging unlikely.

Under normal conditions does the anchor get fully buried, along with some of the chain rode? If so, then it is very unlikely that the anchor will drag. Instead it should just push deeper into the Earth's crust, towards the mantle.

My Fortress anchor works that way, just driving deeper and deeper, pulling more and more chain underground.

It is likely that getting going when all done will take some time. When I'm weighing anchor after a strong blow I pull my rode vertical, as tight as possible, then let normal minor wave action pull up the anchor slightly, then snug the rode tight again w/ the windlass, repeating the process until the anchor is free.

To your question, if the anchor drags, then I would pull the anchor, inspect for debris, then reset the anchor.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 16:35   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well the good news is if you drag you have open water behind you in the main and the holding is aledgedly good.
You could tie a fender to your rode and cast off then heave to on a favourable tack and come back in when it dies down.. but personally with wind coming of the land I would stay put.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-06-2019, 16:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
That is a poor anchor if it dragged all the way from New Haven, CT to the Mediterranean...

The expected result is that the strong wind acting against the boat has driven the anchor well into the seabed, making dragging unlikely.

Under normal conditions does the anchor get fully buried, along with some of the chain rode? If so, then it is very unlikely that the anchor will drag. Instead it should just push deeper into the Earth's crust, towards the mantle.

My Fortress anchor works that way, just driving deeper and deeper, pulling more and more chain underground.

It is likely that getting going when all done will take some time. When I'm weighing anchor after a strong blow I pull my rode vertical, as tight as possible, then let normal minor wave action pull up the anchor slightly, then snug the rode tight again w/ the windlass, repeating the process until the anchor is free.

To your question, if the anchor drags, then I would pull the anchor, inspect for debris, then reset the anchor.

Anchor head buries under normal conditions but I never had strong winds like this. I have about 100 pounds of chain lying on the seabed so I am hoping that is keeping the chain horizontal. I jever had the anchor drag but tonight I fear it may (may be irrational). I am just not used to seeing 40kts at anchor.
Old 29-06-2019, 16:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well the good news is if you drag you have open water behind you in the main and the holding is aledgedly good.
You could tie a fender to your rode and cast off then heave to on a favourable tack and come back in when it dies down.. but personally with wind coming of the land I would stay put.

Good point, I’ll get a fender ready, just in case.
Old 29-06-2019, 16:40   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
Ahhh, your in the bay at Bogsak..
Still well protected, ride her out.

Old 29-06-2019, 16:41   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

If a CQR ever gets around to setting, it holds well. I would just stay up all night and watch out, but if you start to drag 300' from land, start the engine right away!
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 16:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahhh, your in the bay at Bogsak..

Still well protected, ride her out.

Thats right, sandy bottom here. Have you been in the area?

Tags
anchor