Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 02:28   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: What size for snubber?

Hmm, this is educational. I had not even heard about anyone having problems with rolling hitches until now. I have been using them on snubbers for decades, in all kinds of weather, without the slightest problem.

Since there is no strain on the outer turn of the knot, rolling hitches never jam, in my experience. You just undo the outer turn then simply unwrap the two or three working turns, which have been taking all the strain.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:22   #92

Boat: Able 50

Perhaps some were not correctly tied.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:12   #93

Boat: Gib sea 43

I don't know, but what put me off, was a couple of months ago, we were in the south o france a blow came in, a few boats dragged, the boat next to us began dragging, they had a snubber with rolling hitch, they could not get it off, could not lift the anchor chain, the boat was all over the place motoring with the chain out, eventually someone went out in a dinghy and cut the line to get the anchor back aboard.

Put me right off the rolling hitch idea.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:28   #94

Boat: Able 50

It might be preferable just to be put off the idea of allowing the snubber to go forward of the bow roller. Keep the snubber attachment aft of the chain lock and you can't go wrong.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:57   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
I don't know, but what put me off, was a couple of months ago, we were in the south o france a blow came in, a few boats dragged, the boat next to us began dragging, they had a snubber with rolling hitch, they could not get it off, could not lift the anchor chain, the boat was all over the place motoring with the chain out, eventually someone went out in a dinghy and cut the line to get the anchor back aboard.

Put me right off the rolling hitch idea.
Probably tied wrong. One of the great virtues of the rolling hitch is that it is practically jam-proof since the end of the rope is tied on the opposite side of the chain from where the force is exerted. So no matter how hard the snubber got loaded up, the end of the rope and that last turn you have to get undone is never stressed so can't jam. Once you get that unstressed turn undone, you just unwrap the rest of the knot -- simples.

There are two different ways to tie a rolling hitch -- the "real way" and the lubberly way. Some purists sneer at me, but I tie it the simple way -- just like a clove hitch with an extra turn or two in the direction of stress. The "real way" requires a tuck, which I've never done since I learned the knot from my father decades ago the "simple way" and it has always worked flawlessly for me (and for him).

Maybe the "real way" is more prone to jamming; I don't know since I never tie it that way. I wouldn't think so, but I can't prove it.

Even if you don't use it for your snubber, you need to know the rolling hitch, which is one of the fundamental knots on board with dozens of uses. One of its other critically important uses, for which I don't think any other knot would quite work, maybe a Kleimheist, is unloading and clearing a winch with a riding turn on it. If you've never had a riding turn on a winch, you don't know how scary and dangerous it can be. With another line tied on with a rolling hitch, it's pretty simple to clear. Otherwise -- not, and you can end up with a solidly jammed sheet and possibly a knockdown or broach. The rolling hitch is needed for that because you need to be able to slide the knot up the loaded line in order to walk the loaded line in -- the rolling hitch holds in one direction but slides in the other -- it's a totally cool knot.

The "textbook" rolling hitch has two turns in the direction of stress, and one in the other direction. But it works just as well with three or even four turns in the direction of stress, and I sometimes do this if I feel that extra security or extra friction is needed.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 14:17   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregKutsen View Post
I know that I can't promote here but I think its fair to let you know you might be interested in a locking chain Hook.... It will make anchoring just a little bit easier...
Just FYI . . . I was curious and ordered one of your chain hooks. I think the design is clever and solves a problem (the chain dropping off the chain hook) in an elegant way. . . . BUT . . . damn the thing is heavy (I got the 3/8" size). I am not sure I have EVER said this to a marine supplier before . . . but its way way over built. I think you could use 1/3 the steel and still be well strong enough. And it would be better. Smaller, it would be easier to stow and not a huge piece of metal crashing around the coaming, and easier to carry up the side decks to the bow when anchoring.

It would not be hard or expensive, and I think you should, to do some testing with smaller dimensions (thickness and width - especially the 'back' edge)
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size