Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 04:41   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: What size anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinini View Post
If you start going to large on anchors they don't like to Set properly because the boat is to light to set it properly.
Setting a larger anchor is not a practical concern (at least with the sort of over sizing that is seen with a cruising boat). Don't let this put you off the better holding power of a larger anchor.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 05:31   #17

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Depeding on what bottom types you will be anchoring in, and if this is a back-up anchor, you might consider a Fortress. It is lightweight and relatively cheap. It can also be disassembled for storage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 06:50   #18

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
using a 20# on our 38' Ohlson. working great..far better than the 35# cqr that was on it.

Anchors are as close to a religious opinion as you can get in boating!

I am a believer in engineering over weight... then again, our boat doesn't have an anchor locker, so i have to lug the rode up each time i have to anchor.. The Spade anchor, being lighter and well engineered sets far faster and doesnt pop out in 90-180 degree swing like the cqr was doing regularly.

For the OP, the 15# A-80 would probably be fine, or the a100. A80 downside the spade is stupid expensive... then again, so is having your anchor break free at 4am (been there, done that!)
If the OP is interested, I have an all but unused Spade A-80 for sale that was the backup anchor on my prior boat. It is light and easy to move, but sets very well.

That said, for a backup, the Fortress is my current choice. Easy to stow broken down and holds very well.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:04   #19

Boat: Morgan 383

As many have said, take a look at the new generation anchors. Weight isn't the only factor. Go at least 1 size larger than any manufacturer recommends (to sleep at night.)
Make sure the rest of your anchor system (chain, rode, shackles, swivel) are ALL up to the loads that the larger anchor can exert. Make sure you set yourself up for success in anchoring. Make sure that your technique is effective and that you have sufficient weight in the chain system. Think about what you are asking the anchor to do: resist a horizontal pull from an object above it. This includes deploying sufficient length of rode.
If I was you, I'd critically examine if you could add some kind of locker or just a hawse pipe to stow your rode. Having to lug it up on deck for use must have lost its charm a long time ago.
Anchoring is a faith based activity to some extent. Good luck. You're wise to be questioning your system.
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:07   #20
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

Tartansail, I might be interested in the A80 for my Cal 29. How much are you asking for, any idea about shipping cost to Miami?
Ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 08:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita View Post
Tartansail, I might be interested in the A80 for my Cal 29. How much are you asking for, any idea about shipping cost to Miami?
I went to check the anchor to make sure it's all there and realized that it's an A-100, not an A-80. It may be bigger than what you want, though you'd probably sleep well with it set. I'm looking for $400 plus shipping. No idea what the shipping costs would be, but it's not heavy and it's disassembled so shouldn't be too hard to pack up. If interested, send a PM.

Old 19-02-2014, 08:15   #22

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
I went to check the anchor to make sure it's all there and realized that it's an A-100, not an A-80. It may be bigger than what you want, though you'd probably sleep well with it set. I'm looking for $400 plus shipping. No idea what the shipping costs would be, but it's not heavy and it's disassembled so shouldn't be too hard to pack up. If interested, send a PM.
Thats a steal! If I didnt have an a100 id jump on that in a heartbeat!
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 10:11   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Thats a steal! If I didnt have an a100 id jump on that in a heartbeat!
I'm happy to accept higher offers.

I considered keeping the Spade as a lunch hook, but I realized that it was easier to just use my primary anchor -- a Manson Supreme -- since it was already mounted. My basement is way too full of no longer used boat stuff that I'm slowly parting with.

Old 19-02-2014, 10:38   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
I am in the process of buying a 2nd anchor and in the process I was going on the assumption that for a 30 footer..less than 10,000 lbs that a 22 lb delta would be sufficient; however, now i am be told that you should use 1lb per foot of boat which would mean a 30lb anchor...now that completly different if u belive what is said in most catalogs...which is correct ?
We use a 10kg Delta on a 31ft yacht. It just works and we have never had a problem. However, we are careful were we anchor, a lee shore in a howling gale isn't going to happen because bouncing around isn't comfortable. It is small enough to fit in the anchor locker and be launched and retrieved by hand which helps and encourages us to use it.

If it's second hand and a sensible price try it, you can always sell it on if you don't like it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 10:43   #25

Just a quick comment concerning shipping an anchor. I sold a 35 lb. Cqr and did not have to pack it up to ship it. It was sent with just a shipping label affixed to the anchor itself.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 11:52   #26

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
I'm happy to accept higher offers.

I considered keeping the Spade as a lunch hook, but I realized that it was easier to just use my primary anchor -- a Manson Supreme -- since it was already mounted. My basement is way too full of no longer used boat stuff that I'm slowly parting with.

The spade got great writeup in practical sailor (last year?) on an article on 90-180 degree swings.. only used mine twice... very impressed so far.

I had good luck selling an old anchor on ebay a while back..
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 13:56   #27
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
I am in the process of buying a 2nd anchor and in the process I was going on the assumption that for a 30 footer..less than 10,000 lbs that a 22 lb delta would be sufficient; however, now i am be told that you should use 1lb per foot of boat which would mean a 30lb anchor...now that completly different if u belive what is said in most catalogs...which is correct ?
After millions of posts on modern anchors on internet forum, 100's of articles published in hard copy in the last 8 years, $1,000s spent on hard copy and electronic advertising (look at the anchor adverts on CF) and more $1,000s spent at boat shows it is interesting that people still want to buy a Delta.

As a second anchor, which is what is being considered, then we all carry a Fortress - its difficult to see why you would choose anything else. On a 30' yacht locker space is at a premium, they almost never have 2 bow rollers and an alloy is much easier to manouvre on a small yacht (and dinghy)- what's to argue about (or an alloy Spade).

It would be interesting to know what the primary anchor is - or did I miss that? If its an old gen anchor - I'd re-think the priorities.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 11:53   #28

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I am sorry but I didnt tell you what anchor I have now...its Rocna...and from what i have been told the delta is good for fla or sandy bottoms...
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 13:15   #29

Re: What Size Anchor

It is still not clear what you are going to use the second anchor for, but assuming you will be using the Rocna is your primary, and the second anchor as a spare you carry "just in case", I would second others recommendation to get something you can break down and stow easily. Either a Fortress, Mantus, or Spade of the same size as your primary. If you will use the second as a stern anchor/lunch hook/kedge, I would get a Fortress or Danforth clone that is sized appropriately for your boat.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 13:26   #30
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: What Size Anchor

A Delta will work in any seabed in which a Rocna will perform, simply not as well. I'd be looking to buy a second anchor that does something different and be as good at many things, or better, than a Rocna. An alloy offers low weight, a demountable offers the ability to store easily and a Fortress offers unequalled holding capacity in sand and mud - better hold than any other anchor for its weight. It will work well in light weed. In strong winds in the seabeds in which most people anchor (sand and mud), if correctly the sized it will outperform the Rocna (and because of this many on this and other forum carry them as second and storm anchors). You, or your children, can deploy an alloy anchor from a dinghy with safety. They are easily obtainable in America, every decent chandler stocks them (of all sizes), they are not particularly expensive.

What's not to like?

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, size