Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What is your Bigness Factor?
0.5 - 0.9 = Light 18 13.85%
1.0 - 1.2 = Normal 33 25.38%
1.2 - 1.4 = Conservative 37 28.46%
1.5 + = BIB 42 32.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2013, 17:16   #121

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: What is your Bigness Factor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Maybe something more catapult-y? Mast becomes a trebuchet?

Garbage disposal, LOL!
Way ahead of you. That's why I put my mast on a tabernacle.
Old 29-03-2013, 17:18   #122

Quote:
Reloads might be a problem, should probably be a repeater-just in case. Could be done on a big power boat like yours...
Sniff. That's what crew is for....
Old 29-03-2013, 17:24   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Anchor size poll above. Take your main anchor weight in pounds (1 kg=2.2 lbs) and divide by your LOA in feet (1 meter=3.28 feet). The result is your Bigness Factor.

For example, my Finnsailor 38 carries a 45 lb. main anchor, so 45/38=1.18, or on the high side of what I have labeled "Normal."

Let the quibbling begin about the factor ranges!

The LOA is almost irrelevant. What counts is mass or displ. We are an older "classic" with 55,000 disp and 36 tons on the hook. When that mass is tossed by waves, it doesn't matter if we are 40 or 80 feet long. The new Rocna 55 kg replacing the 74# CQR still looks like tin foil pasted to the bow.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 17:25   #124

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Hay ! Still have my Beer Can Cannon !! It will shoot a beer can filled with concrete over 200 yrds!! Bilt from Naval Bronze! a bit heavy but it sure is fun !! and a hell of a flag cannon
Old 29-03-2013, 17:28   #125
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Sniff. That's what crew is for....

Come on, do it for the technical challenge!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 17:30   #126
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Hay ! Still have my Beer Can Cannon !! It will shoot a beer can filled with concrete over 200 yrds!! Bilt from Naval Bronze! a bit heavy but it sure is fun !! and a hell of a flag cannon

Yea, but can it shoot an anchor?

Old 29-03-2013, 17:34   #127
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Way ahead of you. That's why I put my mast on a tabernacle.

Tabernacled mast trebuchet could work great....

Old 29-03-2013, 17:35   #128

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
The LOA is almost irrelevant. What counts is mass or displ. We are an older "classic" with 55,000 disp and 36 tons on the hook. When that mass is tossed by waves, it doesn't matter if we are 40 or 80 feet long.
Only when you get some pretty big wave action--windage is the thing that creates most of the force on the boat and on the anchor until there is a big surge. Most people seek shelter in a big blow, so there usually isn't significant wave action. Sure, it would be different in six-foot seas during a hurricane, but that is not a normal situation.

Bottom line is that in most anchoring situations it is windage that matters the most. Note that almost all anchor selection tables from the manufacturers use LOA as the determining factor. Sometimes they add some vague language about going up a size if the boat is unusually heavy. Take a look at this anchor selection guide.
Old 29-03-2013, 17:44   #129
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell;

Sometimes they add some vague language about going up a size if the boat is unusually heavy. [URL="http://www.pyacht.com/lewmar-anchors.htm"
Take a look at this anchor selection guide.[/URL]
Obviously not frequent observers of CF.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 17:51   #130

Quote:
This is why God loves us so much. You have to love a critter that goes to all that trouble just to toss a pumpkin.
Old 29-03-2013, 17:55   #131
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This is why God loves us so much. You have to love a critter that goes to all that trouble just to toss a pumpkin.

Hilarious ain't it? Come on, lets start a trend! "Anchor Chunkin" 2013 could be in Puget Sound!

Old 29-03-2013, 17:58   #132

Quote:
Only when you get some pretty big wave action--windage is the thing that creates most of the force on the boat and on the anchor until there is a big surge. Most people seek shelter in a big blow, so there usually isn't significant wave action. Sure, it would be different in six-foot seas during a hurricane, but that is not a normal situation.

Bottom line is that in most anchoring situations it is windage that matters the most. Note that almost all anchor selection tables from the manufacturers use LOA as the determining factor. Sometimes they add some vague language about going up a size if the boat is unusually heavy. Take a look at this anchor selection guide.
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that displacement is completely irrelevant. The force applied to a 65 ton boat with zero wind is the same as a 10 tonner with equivalent windage. Same with 5 knots or 50 knots because the force acts against the surface presented to the wind, not the weight of the water displaced. Heavy displacement might actually be beneficial in the sense that when another force - waves - act against the hull, the vessel with greater displacement will be more resistant to movement resulting from that force than a lighter vessel.
Old 29-03-2013, 18:00   #133

This discussion of how to compensate for displacement of the vessel brings up another factor, which is how much stretch there is in your anchor rode. The more stretch the less the force on the anchor and the boat. Nobody would jump off a bridge with anchor chain tied to their legs, but they do it happily tied to big bungie cords that absorb lots of the force. In really extreme conditions you need lots of bounce in your rode to mitigate the forces--either really long snubbers or long lengths of nylon on the end of your chain. I have never done so, but I've wondered about shackling a nylon rode directly to the anchor in addition to the chain for hurricane conditions so that the chain acts more as a backup (and extra drag on the bottom), which you would of course have to attach to the boat with long snubbers anyway.
Old 29-03-2013, 18:04   #134

Quote:
This discussion of how to compensate for displacement of the vessel brings up another factor, which is how much stretch there is in your anchor rode. The more stretch the less the force on the anchor and the boat. Nobody would jump off a bridge with anchor chain tied to their legs, but they do it happily tied to big bungie cords that absorb lots of the force. In really extreme conditions you need lots of bounce in your rode to mitigate the forces--either really long snubbers or long lengths of nylon on the end of your chain. I have never done so, but I've wondered about shackling a nylon rode directly to the anchor in addition to the chain for hurricane conditions so that the chain acts more as a backup, which you would of course have to attach to the boat with long snubbers anyway.
That's why we use a fairly long snubber for everyday anchoring, but would attach a 100' snub line 150' out if we were threatened by really high winds. We use 5/8" 3 strand, and it is tight as a harp string in anything over 20 knots.
Old 29-03-2013, 18:07   #135

Quote:
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that displacement is completely irrelevant. The force applied to a 65 ton boat with zero wind is the same as a 10 tonner with equivalent windage.
I basically agree, but I don't think it is "completely irrelevant," though it is interesting how little it is discussed in most anchoring treatises. Where displacement comes into play is when the wave action gets big enough to start surging the boat back against the anchor rode. This is one reason really long scope is needed in storms--allows the bow of the boat to rise freely because of the lack of downward pull from the anchor rode.