Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2018, 18:53   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: What is this hole for?

The best tripping hole location is at the back of the fluke. The top holes are used for lashing and are frequently mislabeled as tripping eyes. Pick your anchor up by each hole location, and decide which one would pluck it off a chain, for example.

Notice that what MOST sailors will identify on this Rocna as the tripping eye is actually for lashing. The tripping eye is on the back of the fluke. Only suspended from the tripping eye is the anchor truly inverted.

Try it. It's an easy test.

Old 25-11-2018, 19:13   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
What is this hole for?

I installed a shackle and leave it in on the fluke and attach a bouy if I think I’m in an area that may make retrieval of my Rocna difficult. Of course the only time I needed it, I didn’t have the bouy attached.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 21:42   #18

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
The best tripping hole location is at the back of the fluke. The top holes are used for lashing and are frequently mislabeled as tripping eyes. Pick your anchor up by each hole location, and decide which one would pluck it off a chain, for example.

Notice that what MOST sailors will identify on this Rocna as the tripping eye is actually for lashing. The tripping eye is on the back of the fluke. Only suspended from the tripping eye is the anchor truly inverted.

How can that tandem attaching point work, the anchor closest to the boat would have a poor chance once the far anchor started to work it would pull the 1st one up. Surely in the original post the attachment for the far anchor would be up near the normal anchor point.
Old 25-11-2018, 22:33   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

On your particular knockoff I would have to say the back hole on the spine was for marker buoy and the forward one is for the trip line hard recovery point.
Old 25-11-2018, 22:38   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

on this ronka the eye that is not labeled you say is the lashing eye and I concur .
It would line up exactly with the lady pin on my spencers anchor nest/ bow roller.
See cqr in the roller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0034.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	181306  
Old 26-11-2018, 12:00   #21

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
...Given where I ended up dragging to I can only guess that storm surge was enough to keep my boat over the pilings as the scope certainly was enough to have the boat over the backyard of the property with the dock...
Wow! And I thought I was the only one who ever got THAT lucky. Great story, the gods were playing dice on Mt Olympus again - did you buy a lotto ticket?
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 14:57   #22

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I want to share an opinion about anchors, since I consider ground tackle the most important system on a boat.
Dashew said something many years ago that made sense. He said always use your primary anchor and never use a "lunch hook" or smaller anchor. Use the best rode and anchor and always anchor as if you are planning on heavy weather.
If you do otherwise, you will eventually take someone ashore for 15 minutes and end up on the other side of the island, worrying about your boat.
Unless you are pulling the anchor by hand, it makes no sense to use a small anchor for any reason. The windlass will not even notice the difference. But your safety and your peace of mind will notice. (grin) Just an opinion and everyone has one.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 15:13   #23

Boat: Beneteau 343

Bought about a half dozen lotto tickets but no joy on that front.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote