Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 02:45   #1

What Is the 'Best' Anchor ?

I need to replace my anchor.
Interested in any of your thoughts and/or experience plus warnings
Currently considering Spade, Rocna, Manson Supreme and even Ultra.
S/Y Moody 38S
Med Cruising
We enjoy the whole range of different bottoms!
Currently really searching for something to improve performance in weed (without losing performance in other situations.
Thanks

Ray Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:05   #2

Re: What is the 'Best' anchor ?

For Eastern Med it's Ultra. We did a lot of "research" on this by getting to an anchorage and checking everyone's anchors with a mask and snorkel. There is usually at least 8 varieties... After the wind switches on, another swim around shows that only Ultras wouldn't drag and set within its length in grass, sand, hard sand, small rocks. People even don't set it and leave it at 1:2 scope and still get away with it (by any means not recommended).

That's just observations though...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:18   #3

Best in weed by miles is the fisherman's (admirality). It's also good in mud and clay - a good allrounder (except for rocks). Most folk don't consider it because there's no brand name and it's been around forever - but they're the very reasons why you should.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Dont forget Sarca
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:51   #5

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lewis View Post
I need to replace my anchor.
Interested in any of your thoughts and/or experience plus warnings
Currently considering Spade, Rocna, Manson Supreme and even Ultra.
S/Y Moody 38S
Med Cruising
Currently really searching for something to improve performance in weed (without losing performance in other situations.
Thanks

Civil wars have been started over lesser questions than this. Careful.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:38   #6

Boat: Alura 30
Re: What Is the 'Best' Anchor ?

I don't think there is such a thing as the best anchor. I think it is more on where and how you are going to drop your anchor and how you will procede to have your anchor set.With times you will learn the technic,more tricky in grassy bottom,but look around there is always a sandy spot where it will set a lot better.I always put a lot of chain then wait for a while then put in reverse and slowly back up untill I fell resistance on the chain,90% of the time the anchor will set securely on the bottom.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:52   #7

Boat: Prout 46

Any of the "new generation" anchors would be a safe bet. All the anchors you listed have performed well in various anchor tests. I'm partial to Spades because I have used them for the last 12 years in many different bottom conditions and have been quite impressed. Their big drawback is their price, but you can find them new or lightly used on Ebay or Craig's List for a fraction of what they cost retail. Also, don't forget about Delta. It's probably the best value anchor out there. You can get an 88# Delta for the price of a 44# Rocna or a 33# Spade. In an anchor test based on price instead of weight, I'd bet the Delta would do very well.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:37   #8

Boat: Vagabond 42

What about a CQR? We carry two in the Caribbean and they have held in conditions (they also fit on my bow roller).
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 01:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
What about a CQR? We carry two in the Caribbean and they have held in conditions (they also fit on my bow roller).
CQR is good in Caribbean, but doesn't work very well in Eastern Med (we have one right now). It's works well enough to *eventually* anchor so you wouldn't drag, but it normally takes a few attempts to get that right.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 02:11   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Ray,

This months Practical Boat Owner (UK) has an interesting article on anchors written by a couple of University Professors.

PBO August Issue | Pbo

As you would expect its quite a technical article which they used a strain gauge to measure the pull on a variety of anchors. The strain gauge was built by themselves and called anchorwatch which now sells professionally.

ANCHORWATCH .

The synopsis is that the new generation do very well particularly the Spade which was outstanding. They noticed the Manson Supreme wasn't scaled up by the same dimensions.

The Delta did okay but not brilliantly and the CQR plus Bruce would be better used to decorate the garden pond.

Fortress not tested yet but they still have some more work to do.

Given the quality problems with Rocnas, I think a nice yellow spade anchor would go well on a Moody 38. Pricey in the UK but since they are made in Tunisia I think, I wonder if they are available locally cheaper.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 03:14   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lewis View Post
You and me both mate

.........but back to anchors

Short answer = ain't no "best".

Long answer = The bigger the "better", both Anchor and Chain.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 03:39   #12

Boat: Tanzer 7.5 sailboat | Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Ray,

This months Practical Boat Owner (UK) has an interesting article on anchors written by a couple of University Professors.

PBO August Issue | Pbo

As you would expect its quite a technical article which they used a strain gauge to measure the pull on a variety of anchors. The strain gauge was built by themselves and called anchorwatch which now sells professionally.

ANCHORWATCH .

The synopsis is that the new generation do very well particularly the Spade which was outstanding. They noticed the Manson Supreme wasn't scaled up by the same dimensions.

The Delta did okay but not brilliantly and the CQR plus Bruce would be better used to decorate the garden pond.

Fortress not tested yet but they still have some more work to do.

Given the quality problems with Rocnas, I think a nice yellow spade anchor would go well on a Moody 38. Pricey in the UK but since they are made in Tunisia I think, I wonder if they are available locally cheaper.

Pete
Didn't read the article but isn't more of a case of a CQR / Bruce will hold in 99% of conditions (given correct bottom) you will face, while new generation anchors will hold in 99.99% of conditions?
alan_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 05:02   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_za View Post
Didn't read the article but isn't more of a case of a CQR / Bruce will hold in 99% of conditions (given correct bottom) you will face, while new generation anchors will hold in 99.99% of conditions?
No, the work they did proved that whilst the Bruce and the CQR did hold, the holding power of the new generation anchors was considerably better. The ultimate holding power some 3x better. I have left the magazine on the boat so can't quote numbers, but the tests included a hard sand bottom and a softer sand/mud bottom with similar results.

Enough for me to now consider a Spade anchor at some point in place of the Delta.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 05:24   #14

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_za View Post
Not based on what I've seen, read and experienced. Our CQR might eventually hold but it takes several sets and even when it is nominally set its likely to drag on a hard pull. Our Sarca on the other hand sets pretty well first time every time - I can remember one time when we had to pull it all up and start over again. And when it does set the chain literally vibrates it sets so hard. After its set I can run the throttles up as high as I want - typically I'll run up to 1/2 throttle (14-1500 RPM) and hold there for 30 seconds or so against the anchor.

We carry both the CQR and the Sarca in the bow pulpit and we also carry the Bruce that came with the boat in a locker. I've never been desperate enough to shackle the Bruce back onto the chain and if some fool comes along with a few bucks in his pocket he can have it.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 09:12   #15

Boat: Ocean Alexander 50 Classico
Thumbs up Re: What Is the 'Best' Anchor ?

I have cruised extensively and spend the majority of the time on the hook. I have anchored in a variety of places with different bottoms and conditions from the Bahamas to the Canada.

I have tested many different anchors as well as noting what works and does not work well with other cruisers in adverse situations.

Most anchors work ok in the average scenario. Its the Adverse situation that you may not have faced yet that will tell the true tale of your anchor.

One anchor stands out as being questionable in that adverse situation. When I have been in anchorages with adverse conditions I will note which boats have problems and what anchor they are using. The vast majority of the time it is the CQR. I have tried this anchor on several boats myself and it is not a good choice if you want something to count on in that adverse or unexpected condition.

The CQR is a plow. A plow by design is intended to move through the ground it is entrenched in. The CQR and the other plow designs do this very well. The bigger the plow the more "horses" it takes to move it. No matter how large it is, given enough "horses" you will move it. All the various anchor test out there serve to prove this point. The holding power of a plow type anchor is much lower.

Here is what I have found that works best and its weakness. (There is no perfect boat nor anchor to go on that perfect boat)

The Fortress sets quick and holds extremely well. It out performs steel Danforth consistently in my tests. It must be set up correctly for your bottom condition. This anchor is not the best to use when you will shift around with wind and tide. It does not shift well while buried and it may bend the shaft or pop out and foul and it may not reset. I use this anchor as my second anchor on the bow pulpit and use it in Bohemian sets where it will pull straight line all night.

The Super Max is by far the strongest holding anchor I have used. The harder you pull the deeper is goes. I have buried this anchor 15 feet deep in the mud while testing anchors in Charleston SC. It is my third anchor and is my number one hurricane anchor. I have watched this anchor pivot while under the sand in the Bahamas in a storm where wind shifted 180 degrees in minutes. It did not pop out. The down side of this anchor is that it is a bit touchy in how you set it. You must have some slight backing momentum when the anchor is being dropped. The other draw back is it needs a soft or sandy bottom. It has such a wide cutting edge it will support itself on hard bottom rather than cut in.

My primary Anchor for the last 4 years is the Rocna. Sets well and holds well and it does not seem to care how I drop it. It works in grass. It is the best all around anchor I have tested. The down side is that no matter how hard I pull down I cannot bury it past the hoop except in soft fluff mud. But it holds at that point. I have yet to encounter a situation where this anchor is not well suited.

I am very intrigued by the Ultra anchor and by playing with the little models they have at the shows. I just cant see paying the price. Even if this anchor performs as well as it said to, it is not that much better than the Rocna which is a fine performing anchor in it own right. I would like to see them come out with a Galvanized version at a much more competitive price point for me to spring for a "better" anchor.

Hope this is helpful
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor